Obama to hold mass rally for acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:31:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama to hold mass rally for acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama to hold mass rally for acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium  (Read 32382 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: July 08, 2008, 09:41:27 PM »

It's like when Bush landed on the aircraft carrier.  The only purpose is to show everyone how awesome Obama is... its no different from George W. Bush's need to show how awesome his penis is.  It's the same mentality.  It's ego.  Nothing but.

Chris, seriously.  Either you're really striving for a justification for hating Obama, or politics must really be a 24/7-hour fest of unbridled resentment for you...

You're kind of freaking me out here.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 10:46:07 PM »

I'm wondering this -- what exactly is so sacrosanct about "convention tradition"?  Is this some kind of unspoken political thing I've never heard of?  A lot of GOP folk seem to be up in arms over this.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 10:58:15 PM »

I'd be even more pissed off if our nominee (either this year or in the future) decided to do this. Should we move the inauguration to Giants Stadium while we're at it? Or how about the State of the Union in the Superdome? Being at the actual convention makes it something. This is just makes it seem like even more of a typical rally.

That seems more like an aesthetic concern than something to be pissed at.  It's the anger part I'm missing here.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 12:59:17 PM »

Ok, fine. Would you like the inauguration there as well?

Sure, why not?  I don't really see a reason to care.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »

Ok, fine. Would you like the inauguration there as well?

Sure, why not?  I don't really see a reason to care.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

That's still not really answering my question.  It obviously pisses you off for an affirmative reason.  I doubt you normally get annoyed about "boat-floating" concerns.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 08:01:58 PM »

It wasn't rhetorical.  You were giving an example of a situation where you thought I'd get offended, to explain your offense.  I was asking "why not?" -- that is, what was wrong with doing the thing that was supposed to offend me.

I still don't totally understand.  So Obama has an enthusiasm gap and wants to show it off on TV.  Right?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 08:08:49 PM »

I don't understand what the hell that means. I said, "Whatever floats your boat." You wouldn't mind having him do the inauguration at a stadium. That's your preference. I don't get how I was suggesting that you'd be offended.

I assumed (incorrectly?) that your response to Smash was a reductio ad absurdum sort of deal.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I explained this to you already so now you're just trying to be difficult.

I guess that I was assuming a bit of an AIM/forum disconnect for the audience here.  I understand your explanation, sort of.  You don't like how Obama is running on a "new kind of politics," and you see this break from tradition as part of that.  Right.  OK.  But if you're working back to use this as evidence of his bad-ness, I'm just not on-board with that explanation.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 08:18:13 PM »

This doesn't really make him "bad." It just annoys me. I also think this is a sign of his inflated ego. As I said earlier, these crowds don't really affect the viewers so I don't get why he doesn't just do this at the convention. Again, this isn't him being "bad," just irritating.

Right.  So it is more that this is circumstantial evidence of his inflated ego, than the act itself is bad?  That's a fair response.  It's what I've been trying to elicit.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 08:45:38 PM »

I just hope everyone's praying that it doesn't literally rain on the Obama parade that night. It sure would suck if Obama had to be humbled with a crowd of just 20,000 instead of 80,000-100,000!

It seems to me that spite isn't an especially superior personality trait to ego, especially for someone with the luxury of not being a U.S. Presidential candidate.  Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies