1968: Humphrey/McGovern vs. Nixon/Agnew
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:07:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968: Humphrey/McGovern vs. Nixon/Agnew
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1968: Humphrey/McGovern vs. Nixon/Agnew  (Read 6908 times)
cmt
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2008, 03:53:08 PM »

With the split in the party between hawks and doves, VP Humphrey asks his good friend and prominent anti-war advocate Sen. George McGovern to be his running mate in an effort to bring the party together.  McGovern gave the RFK delegates in Chicago a home and had his name put in nomination, but a loyal democrat, McGovern (unlike Gene McCarthy) immediately endorsed HHH after HHH was nominated.  McGovern accepts.  This helps bring doves back into the fold quicker and Humphrey begins to move to a more acceptable position for doves sooner than he did with his Salt Lake City speech in late September of '68. 

Under this scenerio I give Nixon Maine (since Muskie) isn't on the ticket, and also give him Texas.  However, with a running mate more acceptable to doves in the party and still a loyal democrat I give HHH Oregon, Wisconsin, California and NJ. 
Popular vote:
HHH: 44%
Nixon: 42%
Wallace: 13%

Electoral votes goes to Nixon 256-232 for HHH and 45 for Wallace.  The election goes to the house and HHH is chosen president.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 07:05:57 PM »

Richard M. Nixon/Spiro T. Agnew (R): 306 EV
Hubert H. Humphrey/George S. McGovern (D): 187 EV
George C. Wallace/Curtis E. LeMay (AI): 45 EV

As a result of Vice President Hubert Humphrey selecting South Dakota Senator George McGovern as his running mate in 1968 instead of Maine Senator Edmund Muskie, the Republicans are able to hold onto Maine comfortably. Apart from the shift of Maine to the Republicans, Richard Nixon is elected 37th President of the United States like in RL.

I highly doubt that the selection of George McGovern as Humphrey's running mate would be able to bring in Oregon, California, Wisconsin and New Jersey into the Democratic column due to McGovern's dove stance on Vietnam. Let's remember that Humphrey didn't begin to gain traction in the polls against Nixon until October, just one month out from Election Day, the selection of McGovern might have been able to bring some doves back to the Democratic ticket but it's highly unlikely.
cmt
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 12:04:13 PM »

Let's remember that HHH didn't actually begin to gain traction until his September 30th Salt Lake City speech where he moderated his stand on the war.  This was the que that doves were looking for and then began to return to the fold.  As I said in my scenerio, that HHH's selection of McGovern was an early sign he wanted to bring the two sides together and that he began to moderate his stand then on the war rather than a full month later, giving him the opportunity to begin to gain ground earlier.  Also, McGovern wasn't preceived as a radical in '68, he was anti-war but a strong democrat who supported the party.  While you may disagree I do feel that if the party had come together earlier that HHH could easily have won states like Oregon, California and Wisconsin which were strong dove states (in the primaries certainly you recall that McCarthy won primaries in Wisconsin and Oregon and RFK won CA). 
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 09:48:43 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2008, 10:37:08 PM by All it takes is one bad day to make a normal man go insane »

Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 10:04:21 PM »

Let's remember that HHH didn't actually begin to gain traction until his September 30th Salt Lake City speech where he moderated his stand on the war.  This was the que that doves were looking for and then began to return to the fold.

Although Gallup Polls did suggest that the 1968 Presidential race between Richard Nixon and Hubert Humphrey was close during early 1968, Humphrey's support took a dive shortly after the disastrous '68 Convention in Chicago and I believe at one point after the Convention, Nixon was leading Humphrey 48-28 in the Polls. I do believe that Humphrey's support did infact begin to gain traction upon his Salt Lake City speech regarding the War in Vietnam. If we do look at Gallup Polls in October, especially mid October, Humphrey increased his total from 31 to 36 percent in nationwide polls against Nixon. That my friend was when the doves, alienated by the riots at the '68 DNC Convention come back into Humphrey's camp.

As I said in my scenerio, that HHH's selection of McGovern was an early sign he wanted to bring the two sides together and that he began to moderate his stand then on the war rather than a full month later, giving him the opportunity to begin to gain ground earlier.  Also, McGovern wasn't preceived as a radical in '68, he was anti-war but a strong democrat who supported the party. 

George McGovern moderated his stances on the War in Vietnam in 1968? I believe that he was infact an early vocal opponent of the War in Vietnam, and little more than a year into the Presidency of Richard Nixon, himself and Senator Mark Hatfield proposed an amendment to withdraw every American solider in the Vietnamese conflict. And let us also remember that it was the Convention that selected Humphrey's running mate in 1968 not Humphrey.

Sure Humphrey might have wanted to make peace between the anti-war and pro-war factions of the Democratic Party, however the Convention would have left it in droves had Humphrey selected an anti-war candidate like George McGovern as his running mate in 1968. Thus the then unknown, Maine Senator Ed Muskie was selected, who in the eyes of many, or I believe so, was a status quo candidate.

While you may disagree I do feel that if the party had come together earlier that HHH could easily have won states like Oregon, California and Wisconsin which were strong dove states (in the primaries certainly you recall that McCarthy won primaries in Wisconsin and Oregon and RFK won CA). 

Even had the two factions of the Democratic Party did indeed come together and were a united front upon the Convention's conclusion, the Presidential campaign of Hubert Humphrey's would have been were it was in RL 1968. Significantly trailing Nixon in the Polls due to the Convention violence.
Historia Crux
Andy Jackson
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 11:43:57 PM »

Well there was talk of Humphrey picking Sargent Shriver as his VP, both Humphrey and Shriver said they would be fine with that so Shriver might be able to pull some of the pacific coast in and a few other states but that it.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 02:52:17 AM »

Well there was talk of Humphrey picking Sargent Shriver as his VP, both Humphrey and Shriver said they would be fine with that so Shriver might be able to pull some of the pacific coast in and a few other states but that it.

Although Sargent Shriver was one of the most effective leaders of President Kennedy's "New Frontier" and President Johnson's "Great Society" initiatives, Shriver was not one of the most effective Vice Presidential candidates. And we all know that was quite evident during the 1972 Presidential Election when he was running as George McGovern's running mate on the Democratic ticket.

Sure Shriver was selected by McGovern, or should I say the Democratic National Committee at the last minute, but he brought nothing to the ticket in 1972 and nor would he as Hubert Humphrey's running mate in 1968. In my mind, it is very, very doubtful that Sargent Shriver would have been able to swing some pacific coast states and numerous others into Humphrey's column in 1968. In order to do so, Shriver would have had to been some political giant, like Lyndon B. Johnson in 1960 was to John F. Kennedy, in order to bring the pacific coast into the Humphrey column but alas he was not.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies