Gone with the Wind (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:55:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  Gone with the Wind (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gone with the Wind  (Read 8252 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« on: July 12, 2008, 01:44:21 PM »

Influenced by The Klansman which is the basis for The Birth of a Nation.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 06:45:35 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2008, 05:54:31 AM by JohnFKennedy »

Care to elaborate Sam?

It is certainly true that Margaret Mitchell was an ardent fan of Thomas Dixon's and she wrote to him in August 1536 to tell him so: "I was practically raised on your books, and love them very much. For many years I have had you on my conscience, and I suppose I might as well confess it now." Equally, the racial stereotyping exhibited in Gone With the Wind is arguably similar to that of Dixon's works.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 12:56:59 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2008, 12:59:18 PM by JohnFKennedy »

Care to elaborate Sam?

It is certainly true that Margaret Mitchell was an ardent fan of Thomas Dixon's and she wrote to him in August 1536 to tell him so: "I was practically raised on your books, and love them very much. For many years I have had you on my conscience, and I suppose I might as well confess it now." Equally, the racial stereotyping exhibited in Gone With the Wind is arguably similar to that of Dixon's works.

True, but in the book, she frequently condemns the Klan.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that Margaret Mitchell praised the Ku Klux Klan - I don't know enough on the matter to suggest that and I would imagine if she had done then the film would have been met with even more protests than it was - but that the representation of African-Americans in it were racially stereotypical and influenced by the works of white supremacists. I've also come across articles which suggest that Mitchell's depiction of Reconstruction is based upon Dixon's.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies