Which states will shift Republican over the next few decades?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:46:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which states will shift Republican over the next few decades?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Which states will shift Republican over the next few decades?  (Read 14852 times)
Nichlemn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2011, 10:54:03 PM »

The Simpsons says it well:

Disco Stu: "Did you know that disco record sales were up 400% for the year ending 1976? If these trends continues... AAY!"
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2011, 05:11:31 PM »

Yeah. Utah. Its just a drop in the bucket now, but in a couple of decades we will see Utah become at least more like Montana (the Democrats become a strong, but permanent minority) and then like Colorado (a balance between a tenuous political machine and an emerging majority opposition). Salt Lake at least is beginning to feel like a big city and more and more non-mormons are staying.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2011, 05:19:52 PM »

Yeah. Utah. Its just a drop in the bucket now, but in a couple of decades we will see Utah become at least more like Montana (the Democrats become a strong, but permanent minority) and then like Colorado (a balance between a tenuous political machine and an emerging majority opposition). Salt Lake at least is beginning to feel like a big city and more and more non-mormons are staying.

I don't think so--It'll probably shift more into a Kansas-like state rather than a truly competitive one.  One of the reasons the Democrats can even nominally compete there is because non-Mormons vote like 80% Democrat, and as the state expands and picks up more Republican non-mormons, the LDS church's dominance of the State Republican party will decrease. Once that happens, I think the current religion-dominated political alignment will break down somewhat, leading to a more traditional Sparsely-populated state voting pattern.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2011, 05:36:41 PM »

Well, yeah...if the state stops growing. Eventually it will probably no less liberal or conservative for a state of its size or density. I take it you mean "a truly conservative state" as a state that consistently votes more Republican than other states with its urban/rural numbers. I guess that would make Florida a "truly conservative state" for being so big and stubbornly Republican, despite everything the GOP does to mess up or any demographic change that happens. ...or at least by not "truly conservative" you mean it won't be conservative because it is mormon.   
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2011, 10:22:33 AM »

Grey- expect political stability
Red- Trend D
Blue- Trend R

Tell me how Illinois shifts Republican when you have a huge city like Chicago that's dominated by Democrats? I can see Wisconsin and Minnesota shifting Republican in a few decades.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2011, 05:18:28 PM »

Grey- expect political stability
Red- Trend D
Blue- Trend R

Tell me how Illinois shifts Republican when you have a huge city like Chicago that's dominated by Democrats? I can see Wisconsin and Minnesota shifting Republican in a few decades.

Chicago's losing population, and the political center of gravity is moving more towards the collar counties.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2011, 06:32:46 PM »

yeah but the collar counties aren't really trending republican. While they are republican for the local offices, it is marginal/swing territory in national races.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2011, 06:43:57 PM »

yeah but the collar counties aren't really trending republican. While they are republican for the local offices, it is marginal/swing territory in national races.

marginal/Swing is much better than 70-80% Democratic Cook County.
Nichlemn

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2011, 08:47:12 PM »

Also, according to Democratic bulls here, almost every demographic change is good for Democrats. So long as Illinois has less of that than average, it will trend (Atlas definition) Republican.
yougo1000
United States

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2011, 09:34:49 PM »

Illinois, Wisconsin, and michigan
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies