1964: Who would you have voted for? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:06:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  1964: Who would you have voted for? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Lyndon or Barry?
Lyndon Johnson (D)

Barry Goldwater (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: 1964: Who would you have voted for?  (Read 4103 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« on: July 15, 2008, 10:54:24 PM »

However, if the Barry Goldwater nominated at Cow Palace in 1964 was indeed the libertarian one he became during the 1980's, then I would have easily voted for Goldwater. A bit strange eh?

He was, what changed were the issues. Barry Goldwater, for example, helped found Planned Parenthood of Arizona back in the early 1950s, as one example of his social libertarianism, however issues of this sort were truly mute in the political climate of 1964. His vote against the Civil Rights Act is highly unsettling, though no one who ever met Goldwater thought that he was a racist and he seemed genuine when he stated his reasons were a strong support for states' rights. As the political culture moved away from economic issues and onto social and cultural issues in the late 70s, the libertarian political ideology of Goldwater became more pronounced. The Goldwater who wanted to kick Jerry Falwell's ass and voted in favour of gays serving in the military is almost certainly nearly the same Goldwater, politically, as the 1964 presidential candidate.

I vote Goldwater by the way, an easy decision for me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies