The Websites!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:27:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  The Websites!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Websites!  (Read 2302 times)
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 03, 2004, 02:26:03 AM »
« edited: September 03, 2004, 02:28:31 AM by Mr. Fresh »

I decided to check out both John Kerry's and George Bush's websites.  For those who don't know where they are (first, you have no place on this forum Wink j/k) here they are:

http://www.johnkerry.com
http://www.georgewbush.com

I went to each site with purely a web designer mind in place.  At first glance on each index page, Bush's site kicks Kerry's in the face.  Plus Kerry had a splash image that was gross.  Bush obviously put more money into his website, or simply had a better designer, because it really looks good.

Navigation wise, the websites are actually about even.  ie, the sidebar.  I liked Bush's video placements and news stories more, but Kerry's "Take Action" box is a lot more appealing than Bush's "5 Ways to Help Right Now."

After I roamed the index page on each for awhile, I wanted to find the best way to buy stuff for each.  BTW, I am really buying something, and this spurred me to write this.  I get to the purchase page on each, and here is where Kerry's designers kicked Bush's designers in the nuts.  Kerry's index page of the shopping center completely out does Bush's.  It's easier to navigate and it certainly took more time to make.  The Bush site seems a set above newb to me.  Here's the link to both sites:

http://www.kerrygear.com/
http://www.georgewbushstore.com/

Kerry's address is way shorter, and better thought out.  And Bush has an incredibly crappy splash image, totally one that could be made by a newb that just took Internet Apps.  Then I got to prices, and Kerry again won this portion, these are outrageous differences, and it's no wonder Kerry doesn't have as much money, or why Bush just has more.  Smiley

I wanted to buy packages full of stuff on each site here's what I get for Bush/Cheney at the cheapest and most simple price package:

Standard Pack Includes:
(1) Bush-Cheney '04 Navy Cap
(5) Bush-Cheney '04 Bumper Stickers
(5) Bush-Cheney '04 2.25" Celluloid Buttons
(1) Bush-Cheney '04 Poly Yard Sign with collapsible metal frame
Price:  $19.95

Kerry's smallest and cheapest package:

The Kerry-Edwards
Small House Party PAK includes:
20 Campaign Buttons
25 Campaign Lapel Stickers
20 Campaign Bumper Stickers
5 Rally Signs
25 Ballons
1 Logo Lapel Pin
Price:  $16.50!

---

My results:  Bush wins main site, Kerry wins--by a huge margin the shopping site.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 02:31:07 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2004, 02:38:12 AM by Gabu »

I agree that Bush's main site is better, but I think John Kerry's isn't that bad.  At first glance, Bush's front page is almost sensory overload; Kerry's site is more lean and down to business.

I do think that Bush's site sells himself better, though, since once you get over the initial sensory overload there's a lot more information present and visible.  On Kerry's site you need to dig a bit more, which is actually a very bad thing, given how impatient web users tend to be.

Given that I've done quite a bit of web design myself, I found that an interesting thing to look at. Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 03:05:53 AM »

Just for the record; georgewbushstore.com is not affiliated with the Bush campaign, and none of the profits from the store go to the campaign.

The Bush-Cheney campaign has allowed the Spalding Group to use it's logos on merchandise for promotional purposes.

And?  It's called "The George W. Bush Online Store: Official Bush-Cheney '04 Logo Merchandise".  It's still Bush's official store for campaign merchandise.

Likewise, KerryGear.com is run by the company Financial Innovations, Inc.
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 10:15:12 AM »

I agree that Bush's main site is better, but I think John Kerry's isn't that bad.  At first glance, Bush's front page is almost sensory overload; Kerry's site is more lean and down to business.

I do think that Bush's site sells himself better, though, since once you get over the initial sensory overload there's a lot more information present and visible.  On Kerry's site you need to dig a bit more, which is actually a very bad thing, given how impatient web users tend to be.

Given that I've done quite a bit of web design myself, I found that an interesting thing to look at. Smiley

I completely agree with you, Bush's site does show off a little too much at the beginning, but you get used to that after a little bit.  I also agree that Kerry's is less *bam* at the beginning, but I just didn't like design of it.  It really wasn't that great.
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 03:03:10 PM »

Kerry's site has some style to it, Bush's is muddled. And you can see what kind of campaign they're running, respectively, by viewing the main page: Bush's site makes a big point of two games designed to smear and distort Kerry's record.
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 05:44:31 PM »

Kerry's site has some style to it, Bush's is muddled. And you can see what kind of campaign they're running, respectively, by viewing the main page: Bush's site makes a big point of two games designed to smear and distort Kerry's record.

Are you a designer?  If so, for how long?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 07:19:07 PM »

Yes, I agree. Bush has a positive message, whereas every page of Kerry's site completely distorts his own record.
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2004, 07:57:03 PM »

Are you a designer?  If so, for how long?

No, I just have a sense of style. And I think Kerry's site is more stylish than Bush's. Just as his hair is, and his clothing.
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2004, 10:46:02 AM »

Yes, I agree. Bush has a positive message, whereas every page of Kerry's site completely distorts his own record.

Never said that, we're not going off of content, but looks.
badnarikin04

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2004, 01:04:12 PM »

Kerry's site is disgusting!

As a regular visitor I can easily say that Badnarik's site is a smidge better, especially when you consider the amount of money put into it.
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2004, 12:19:04 AM »

Kerry's site is disgusting!

As a regular visitor I can easily say that Badnarik's site is a smidge better, especially when you consider the amount of money put into it.

lol, forgot about the large minority of Libertarians on this board...should have put Badnarik's up.  Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2004, 02:07:22 PM »

Why Badnarik's site is horrible:

LOOK AT THE JPEG EVILNESS!
badnarikin04

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2004, 02:17:59 PM »

That logo's on his campaign bumper stickers and yard signs too.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2004, 02:43:58 PM »

It's not the logo, it's the un-preciseness.  BECAUSE ITS A JPEG!  PNGS ARE THE FUTURE!

The top of the torch:

See what I mean? Smiley  It should just be red and white, but instead there's some blurring.
badnarikin04

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2004, 03:20:03 PM »

It's not the logo, it's the un-preciseness.  BECAUSE ITS A JPEG!  PNGS ARE THE FUTURE!

The top of the torch:

See what I mean? Smiley  It should just be red and white, but instead there's some blurring.

Uh oh.....

CALL MICHAEL!!!!!! WE'RE LOSING TECHIE VOTES!!!!!!!

DAMMIT, HOW CAN WE CREATE A WORLD OF FREEDOM WHEN WE'RE USING THE WRONG FORMAT!?!?!?!?!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2004, 03:35:06 PM »

The top of the torch:

Uh oh.....

CALL MICHAEL!!!!!! WE'RE LOSING TECHIE VOTES!!!!!!!

DAMMIT, HOW CAN WE CREATE A WORLD OF FREEDOM WHEN WE'RE USING THE WRONG FORMAT!?!?!?!?!

INDEED!  THIS OUTRAGE CANNOT CONTINUE!

Smiley
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2004, 06:53:14 PM »

.....yes
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2004, 07:18:02 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2004, 07:19:53 PM by Senator King »

David Cobb's website is nice. It is simple and its source code is well laid out. http://votecobb.org/

Nader has a good site but he trys to put too much content on it so it looks tacky... http://votenader.org/

Peroutka's site is good but it is too flash dependent so dial-up users might find it a hassle to load. http://peroutka2004.com/
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies