IN-03 Stays Republican
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:26:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IN-03 Stays Republican
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IN-03 Stays Republican  (Read 658 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2008, 04:34:08 PM »

I'm discouraged and disappointed to think that Mark Souder will be in the House for another two years.  I can't tell you how much I loathe his ideas, his behavior and his cadre of ultra right, religious fanatic supporters.

So how did he win?  Mike Montagano was within 4% in the last poll and was matching Souder ad for ad.

More, Democrats knew that two of the biggest issues in this district are abortion and guns.  So they finally chose an anti-abortion rights Democrat and a strong, NRA member for their candidate.  Montagano was thought to be the Tim Roemer of this distrct -- a very conservative Democrat on social issues.  On top of that, Montagano criticized Obama for proposing a roll back of the Bush tax cuts!  If anyone could be Souder he could.  And yet -- the more liberal Democrat Tom Hayhurst -- came closer to unseating Souder two years ago, with a lot less money.

What's going on?

Well, first -- Souder is only vulnerable when his lethargy and stupidity are exposed.  And Montagano decided that his only negative ad would be about Souder's ties to big business.  (Souder's vote FOR the bailout and Montagano's praise for Mike Pence in opposing it) were part of this strategy. 

But folks here, though they hate the way some of the bailout money is being used, basically support it.  "What other option is there?", they opine.  Good question.

So how can anyone beat this guy? We've tried running very conservative Democrats who'd give Zell Miller a run for their money.  We've tried populist liberal types.  We've tried just knocking him out in the GOP Primary by running a highly intelligent, moderate to conservative Republican mayor...nothing works.  Talk about bulletproof.

I am open to suggestions!  LOL
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 04:40:43 PM »

This is a very Republican district.  Obama lost every county in the district and McCain likely carried the district by around 10 points or more.  It would have also been a very, very tough district for Democrats to hold in 2010. 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 07:41:54 PM »

I'm discouraged and disappointed to think that Mark Souder will be in the House for another two years.  I can't tell you how much I loathe his ideas, his behavior and his cadre of ultra right, religious fanatic supporters.

So how did he win?  Mike Montagano was within 4% in the last poll and was matching Souder ad for ad.

More, Democrats knew that two of the biggest issues in this district are abortion and guns.  So they finally chose an anti-abortion rights Democrat and a strong, NRA member for their candidate.  Montagano was thought to be the Tim Roemer of this distrct -- a very conservative Democrat on social issues.  On top of that, Montagano criticized Obama for proposing a roll back of the Bush tax cuts!  If anyone could be Souder he could.  And yet -- the more liberal Democrat Tom Hayhurst -- came closer to unseating Souder two years ago, with a lot less money.

What's going on?

Well, first -- Souder is only vulnerable when his lethargy and stupidity are exposed.  And Montagano decided that his only negative ad would be about Souder's ties to big business.  (Souder's vote FOR the bailout and Montagano's praise for Mike Pence in opposing it) were part of this strategy. 

But folks here, though they hate the way some of the bailout money is being used, basically support it.  "What other option is there?", they opine.  Good question.

So how can anyone beat this guy? We've tried running very conservative Democrats who'd give Zell Miller a run for their money.  We've tried populist liberal types.  We've tried just knocking him out in the GOP Primary by running a highly intelligent, moderate to conservative Republican mayor...nothing works.  Talk about bulletproof.

I am open to suggestions!  LOL

My suggestion is just to live with it for now. Eventually he may run for Senate or something and then you might be able to defeat him statewide and be rid of him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies