Torie Senate Surgery Office [Pacific Region] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:24:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Torie Senate Surgery Office [Pacific Region] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Torie Senate Surgery Office [Pacific Region]  (Read 4726 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: July 24, 2008, 11:28:34 PM »

2. If two or more legally registered voters who are members of a Viable Party timely declare candidacy for the same office in a General Election (“Eligible Viable Party Candidates”), then at a time no less than one week before the earliest possible time for the commencement of voting in such General  Election, a primary election shall be conducted  for each such Viable Party with two or more Eligible Viable  Party Candidates.  The polls for each such primary election shall remain open for 72 hours, and be administered by the party chair of each such Viable Party, if such party chair holds office pursuant to the rules of such Viable Party (“Party Chair”), and in cases where no such Party Chair  exists, such primary election for such Viable Party without a Party Chair shall be conducted by the Secretary of Forum Affairs. Any Eligible Member of the applicable Viable Party shall have a right to vote in such primary election.

I see a problem. During the August senatorial election, we elect 5 senators. But with this law, they can only endorse one candidate. They should be able to endorse 5 candidates I think.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 12:38:28 PM »

Colin has proposed something interesting during the Southeast constitutional Convention.

We should go that way.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 01:30:06 PM »

Alright, if the Southeast is truly worried about a lack of representation for the right in an all PR Senate then let me propose an idea. We elect all 10 Senators at the same time and they are elected to a two month term. Electing 10 members to the Senate would allow minority opinions a large amount of say, do to the fact that to elect one representative you would only need about 6-7 percent of the vote. The only problem I can see with this is that a 10 seat district is too large to use STV. There are two options for circumventing this, either seperate Atlasia into two electoral districts, which I don't really like because it would basically bring back districts, or we change the electoral system to something that accomodates a larger district magnitude, like party list proportional representation.

If you want to ensure that the right has a say in a PR system that is the option I bring forward. I think your fears are unfounded, we've only had one election under PR and you are talking as if the trends seen are universal. Also I would have to agree with Al that, overall, the NLC is a party of the centre-right. Many members of the party, myself, afleitch, AndrewCT, and bullmoose are all conservative in some way, mostly economically conservative. If you are looking for social conservatives you've come to the wrong place. They've never been a large section of the population and, probably, never will be.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies