"the Antichrist" teaching is a myth (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:39:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  "the Antichrist" teaching is a myth (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "the Antichrist" teaching is a myth  (Read 15166 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« on: July 23, 2008, 08:54:51 AM »

Let's face it - this guy only drew the conclusions he did because of his racism. I can't see any way you could draw them otherwise.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 09:28:43 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Among first world countries, America is by far one of the most if not the most religious. You're letting your prejudice against African Americans cloud your judgment. And frankly, I don't see why someone as obviously racist as you isn't calling them ns - we all know that's what you really think of them.

You are aware that other largely Christian countries also don't have prayer in public schools, right? In fact, France hasn't had any school prayer since 1789. In fact they ban even having conspicuous religious symbols for public school students - I'd say that if this is your standard then France meets it far better than the US does.

And you might also wish to reconsider this considering a short prayer in school does not constitute "sacrifice and oblation" - nothing was sacrified, and it wasn't oblation since no offerings were made.

Where exactly in the Bible does it say that interacial marriage is an "abomination" of any sort? As far as I know there is no such passage.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 11:59:08 AM »

In modern-day terms, which is what these scriptures are about, "sacrifice and oblation" means "daily worship and prayer".

The Bible wasn't written in modern day terms, so why would it be translated to words that mean something else.

France was too a Christian nation, just as all European nations were back in the day.

What math? I'm not buying your arugument as meeting the standards set forth. Furthermore, you haven't answered my question - where in the bible does it state that interracial marriage is an abomination? If you can't show anywhere that it is actually considered an abomination, then your argument has no merit.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 12:40:04 PM »

*sigh*

Again, that's you stating the abomination is interracial marriage, but that's your own conclusion and not an explicit statement. So let me make this as simple as possible - can you find ONE place in the bible that explicitly says that marrying someone with a different skin color is a sin or an abomination? ANYTHING that says it is an act forbidden by God.

If you can't find anywhere that makes it a forbidden act, then your basis for reaching this conclusion is only your own racism and not based on any sort of scripture. Rather, they are based on an irrational hatred you hold in your heart for your fellow human beings.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 12:50:28 PM »

applying reason for once, are you?  glad to see it

For once? I apply it plenty. I've never disagreed with you on the notion that if you believe the Bible is fact that you should look up the context of previous items to help draw conclusions about things that come up later. Of course, that "if" doesn't apply to me, so if you think I'm unreasonable when I express my disagreements with the book I'd say that's rather silly of you.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 01:37:39 PM »

applying reason for once, are you?  glad to see it

For once? I apply it plenty. I've never disagreed with you on the notion that if you believe the Bible is fact that you should look up the context of previous items to help draw conclusions about things that come up later. Of course, that "if" doesn't apply to me, so if you think I'm unreasonable when I express my disagreements with the book I'd say that's rather silly of you.

I just meant I find it refreshing that you're even asking what the bible says, instead arguing against the premise of the whole book

Well, even if I think the premise is wrong I can at least know what the premise is - it would be quite silly to argue against a non-existent premise. Sure, while there's quite a few ways that certain things in the Bible might be interpreted that might result in a different premise, I don't see how anyone could logically come up with the interpretations prophetman has been making given the contents of the book.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 02:09:12 PM »

*sigh*

Again, that's you stating the abomination is interracial marriage, but that's your own conclusion and not an explicit statement. So let me make this as simple as possible - can you find ONE place in the bible that explicitly says that marrying someone with a different skin color is a sin or an abomination? ANYTHING that says it is an act forbidden by God.

If you can't find anywhere that makes it a forbidden act, then your basis for reaching this conclusion is only your own racism and not based on any sort of scripture. Rather, they are based on an irrational hatred you hold in your heart for your fellow human beings.

I know the Old Testament isn't important here because Christians don't follow the Law, but the Snow-White Miriam incident in Numbers chapter 12 might be an example of God allowing, or at least not caring, about interracial marriage.  However, it's only a few chapters away from God praising Phineas for murdering an Israelite man for socializing with a Midianite woman, so I suppose the message is mixed.  Maybe the message of the Snow-White Miriam incident is that Moses can get away with whatever he wants to because he's God's favorite.

No, I don't think anyone in the Bible gets special treatment in regards to sinful behavior - even God's "favorites". Moses married a Midianite woman himself, so the interracial aspect of that other incident was probably not of any importance. I'm not really familiar with that part of the Bible though, so I'm just looking it up on wikipedia, so maybe jmfcst can enlighten me on the context of that particular part of the OT.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies