Is Islam a hateful religion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:42:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Is Islam a hateful religion?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Answer the question
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Is Islam a hateful religion?  (Read 21476 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2008, 05:09:23 PM »

I just thought this board was a bit lacking in flamewars.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 05:37:08 PM »

There are definitely some attitudes mainstream Islam holds that I find hateful.  Is the religion overall hateful?  No, but this is so subjective you can define yourself into any answer you like.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 05:38:52 PM »

Islam is not a hateful religion but a lot of its followers are. Lot of it has to do with the overall culture of places like the middle east. Islam is also a religion, like Christianity, that wants to spread all over the world and convince everyone that they are wrong and that muslims are right.  That invariably creates conflict especially in places like India or Indonesia, which have many different religions. I can speak for India here and I will say that since Hinduism really does not believe in conversions, we get offended when muslims or christians try to convert our countrymen.( especially when the poor are bribed with food. That is F'ed up to the max)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 05:53:37 PM »

No, but this is so subjective you can define yourself into any answer you like.

Part of the fun!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 11:51:38 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2008, 12:13:57 AM by Torie »

I just thought this board was a bit lacking in flamewars.

What are your comments about the matter  Xahar (the good, the bad, and the ugly), being fair and balanced and trying to took in from out, as it were? 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 01:54:24 AM »

The moderates in the religion are doing nothing to improve their image or their insane leaders and radical wing. Until something changes along those lines, then yes, overall I'd have to say yes. It's nice to say you have moderates and modern thinkers but if they are sitting on the sidelines condemning the actions of their fellow followers then they are just as bad as the radicals.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 01:57:30 AM »

The moderates in the religion are doing nothing to improve their image or their insane leaders and radical wing. Until something changes along those lines, then yes, overall I'd have to say yes. It's nice to say you have moderates and modern thinkers but if they are sitting on the sidelines condemning the actions of their fellow followers then they are just as bad as the radicals.

What do you propose we do, then? I'd love to stamp out Wahhabism, but it's not really possible.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 04:58:49 AM »

You could make the same case about Christianity. Except the moderates in Christianity are leaving the religion instead of doing something about radicals, which just makes Christian radicals stronger. As such, I would say that Muslims in aggregate are without a doubt less hateful than Christians in aggregate.

The original question though was about Islam, not Muslims. I would not say that Islamic teachings are not overly hateful. Regressive yes, but that can be partially excused considering how long Islam has been around.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 05:02:12 AM »

Yes, like Christianity.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 06:40:57 AM »

You could make the same case about Christianity. Except the moderates in Christianity are leaving the religion instead of doing something about radicals, which just makes Christian radicals stronger. As such, I would say that Muslims in aggregate are without a doubt less hateful than Christians in aggregate.

The original question though was about Islam, not Muslims. I would not say that Islamic teachings are not overly hateful. Regressive yes, but that can be partially excused considering how long Islam has been around.

Christianity is, in aggregate, nowhere near as violent as Islam is today. There are no stonings or sucide bombings within Christianity, for instance.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 06:56:56 AM »

Christianity is, in aggregate, nowhere near as violent as Islam is today. There are no stonings or sucide bombings within Christianity, for instance.

Yeah but pretty messed up things were done by christians back in the day. Islam just seems to be stuck in an earlier age still.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 07:35:57 AM »

Yeah but pretty messed up things were done by christians back in the day. Islam just seems to be stuck in an earlier age still.

They seem to be stuck in an earlier age because Muslim countries don't really have a recourse against them. I'm sure that Christian fundamentalists (who are making up more & more of the faithful) would love to engage in a few stonings & a few bombings. However, they're held in check by a modern code of laws.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 07:59:24 AM »

Islam is a big enough religion that there are many branches and sects within it, so one can't really say unless one believes there is one "true" branch of Islam with the others being somehow incorrect.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 09:23:43 AM »

I fail to see how this goes against what I said. I never claimed Islam is more violent due to inherent violence within it. I simply stated that it is more violent than Christianity, today. I should probably have added a comma before today in my post, but given the tense I used I still figured it was pretty clear what I meant.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 02:25:48 PM »

I fail to see how this goes against what I said. I never claimed Islam is more violent due to inherent violence within it. I simply stated that it is more violent than Christianity, today. I should probably have added a comma before today in my post, but given the tense I used I still figured it was pretty clear what I meant.

Right but as Pit pointed out there are still christians out there who would like to engage in stonings and things like that but are held in check by modern laws. Since most of the islamic world still runs on sharia, these acts against humanity are still possible in those countries. But given the opportunity many of the evangelicals here in the US would show their true colors. I mean these guys want ww3. Scary right?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 06:40:44 PM »

Bane, what do you base your "facts" on? Even the most evangelical Christians I see on a daily basis don't want to stone people in the streets.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 06:44:24 PM »

No more hateful than christianity or judaism.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 07:33:15 PM »

Bane, what do you base your "facts" on? Even the most evangelical Christians I see on a daily basis don't want to stone people in the streets.

Neither do the most hardcore fundie Muslims I meet. There is a lunatic fringe everywhere.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 05:07:49 AM »

Right but as Pit pointed out there are still christians out there who would like to engage in stonings and things like that but are held in check by modern laws. Since most of the islamic world still runs on sharia, these acts against humanity are still possible in those countries. But given the opportunity many of the evangelicals here in the US would show their true colors. I mean these guys want ww3. Scary right?

Erm...and how exactly do you know what evangelicals would like to do? Know any? Seen any polls? I personally know a large number of evangelical Christians and none of them would even dream about stoning anyone, even though they are "fundamentalist". Just because you dislike and disagree with a group you don't get to make up slander about them.

And as for the weak "law" argument I'll just give one example: in Sweden the law prohibits killing your daughter because you don't like her boyfriend. Some muslims in Sweden do anyway. And have you ever stopped to consider that the laws might be the effect of peoples' values and opinions rather than the other way around? Once you consider that the legal systems in many Muslim countries are based on sharia your argument loses a lot of its weight, imo.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 06:28:20 AM »

Erm...and how exactly do you know what evangelicals would like to do? Know any? Seen any polls? I personally know a large number of evangelical Christians and none of them would even dream about stoning anyone, even though they are "fundamentalist". Just because you dislike and disagree with a group you don't get to make up slander about them.

And as for the weak "law" argument I'll just give one example: in Sweden the law prohibits killing your daughter because you don't like her boyfriend. Some muslims in Sweden do anyway. And have you ever stopped to consider that the laws might be the effect of peoples' values and opinions rather than the other way around? Once you consider that the legal systems in many Muslim countries are based on sharia your argument loses a lot of its weight, imo.

Well a fraction of evangelicals do want ww3 so the antichrist can come and take us all to heaven or some s**t like that. But yes muslims are very backward if you look at it but they usually come from countries which have societies like that. It used to be the same way in the west back in the day but for the most part isnt today. I have found most muslims from India to be pretty progressive( if you consider India progressive, which I do not on many levels) compared to middle easterners. I think globalization is just bringing together so many cultures and "culture shock" is occuring. Just think of that poor devout muslim having to raise his daughter in the "depraved" western culture. Its funny to us but it is a harsh reality for them.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 07:43:54 AM »

Virtually all religions are hateful on some level. Islam is certainly not an exception to the rule.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 11:30:34 AM »

I don't know if it's a hateful religion but it did breed Xahar which is something.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 01:44:34 PM »

I don't know if it's a hateful religion but it did breed Xahar which is something.

I will say that my views haven't been mainstream in Bangladesh since the coup of 1975. If anything, it's America that's prouced my thinking.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 09:18:37 AM »

Neither do the most hardcore fundie Muslims I meet. There is a lunatic fringe everywhere.
The Muslim fringe has been a lot more successfull lately.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 04:18:39 PM »

Overall, no.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies