Vermont gubernatorial election, 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:36:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Vermont gubernatorial election, 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which candidate do you support?
Anthony Pollina (Progressive)

Gaye Symington (Democrat)

Jim Douglas (Republican)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Vermont gubernatorial election, 2008  (Read 15404 times)
Third Party
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2008, 08:15:52 PM »

Note that all three of these candidates are considered to be "major party" candidates in Vermont. The Vermont Progressive Party elected a mayor in Burlington (the largest city in the state), and has six seats in the Vermont House of Representatives. It is the strongest minor party in any individual US state.

Who do you support? Who do you think will win?

This election is notable, because Anthony Pollina of the Progressives has a chance of winning. However, the Democrat would have to do very poorly for him to win.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 08:36:07 PM »

How does Vermont's system work? Straight plurality?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 08:51:39 PM »

Yes. Personally, while Pollina may well take second, I can't see Douglas losing reelection to divided opposition.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 08:59:09 PM »

Yes. Personally, while Pollina may well take second, I can't see Douglas losing reelection to divided opposition.

Ah. In that case, I must be confusing it with some other state. Which one had the provision that mandates election by the legislature if no candidate reaches 50%?
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 09:05:51 PM »

Hmm, interesting. Last I heard, (this was a few months ago) Pollina was trying to form some kind of deal with the Democrats to get them to not run a candidate and endorse him. I guess that must have fallen through.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 09:15:21 PM »

Ah. In that case, I must be confusing it with some other state. Which one had the provision that mandates election by the legislature if no candidate reaches 50%?

Oh, no, maybe that is Vermont. I was just thinking of those using run-offs. There might be serious infighting within the Democrats over whether to support Douglas or Pollina in the event of that choice, though (partially because supporting Pollina would mean a stronger VT Progressive Party in the future, which is dangerous to them).
Third Party
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 09:23:12 PM »

Apparently Pollina recently decided to be listed on the ballot as "independent" rather than Progressive. However, he also says that isn't abandoning his party either: http://www.anthonypollina.com/news/2008/07/21/building-an-independent-coalition/

BTW, Douglas won with around 45% of the vote in 2002.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 10:24:39 PM »

Apparently Pollina recently decided to be listed on the ballot as "independent" rather than Progressive. However, he also says that isn't abandoning his party either: http://www.anthonypollina.com/news/2008/07/21/building-an-independent-coalition/

in 2002, his opponent allowed the vote to stand and conceded.  but he could have taken it to the legislature.

anyway, i support douglas.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 10:30:35 PM »

Is Douglas in trouble or something. I thought he was a lock.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 10:40:02 PM »

in 2002, his opponent allowed the vote to stand and conceded.  but he could have taken it to the legislature.

anyway, i support douglas.

Republicans controlled the state legislature in 2002 anyway, I'm pretty sure.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 10:54:21 PM »

Douglas saved his bacon (or tofurky, this being VT) by vetoeing that IRV bill. But it's not over yet. If Douglas falls below 50%, the D leg. will pick Symington.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 10:57:24 PM »

Douglas saved his bacon (or tofurky, this being VT) by vetoeing that IRV bill. But it's not over yet. If Douglas falls below 50%, the D leg. will pick Symington.

Especially because she's Speaker of the House.
Kevinstat

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 10:58:34 PM »

Going into that election, the Republicans had an overall majority in the Legislature and I guess were expected to keep it.  Douglas's Democratic opponent, somebody Racine, pledged not to seek election by the Legislature if he failed to receive a majority.  Perhaps he assumed the Republicans would keep overall control of the Legislature and elect Douglas anyway, and he didn't want Vermont to be bitterly divided over the outcome.  Racine led in the polls throughout most if not all of the campaign I believe, but below 50% at least towards the end.  As it turned out, the Democrats won an overall majority in the Legislature in the 2002 elections and it was that Legislature who would choose the governor if no candidate received a majority.  (I'm not sure if the candidates other than the top two could have been selected, particularly if one of the two dropped out; could the Legislature have elected Cornellius (sp?) Hogan if they had wanted to?)  But Racine kept his word (and he had lost the popular vote, 42% to 45%, which was, according to the Almanacs of American Politics from 2004 on, "something of a surprise") and Douglas became governor.  Douglas got 59% of the vote in 2004 and 56% in 2006, so Vermont's 50% rule hasn't mattered.  Howard Dean only barely got 50.45% of the vote in 2000 when the Republicans gained an overall majority in the Legislature, and as zealous as the Republican base was in Vermont in 2000, if .46% of the vote had gone from Dean to Anthony Pollina I doubt it would have mattered that Dean polled over 12% more than Ruth Dwyer and that the Dean + Pollina vote (Pollina had run to Dean's left) was over 60%.  Dwyer might well have lost in 2002 though, and the Democrats might have controlled everything in Vermont right now.  They probably will after Douglas retires, not that I think he's safe now.

Well, in the time I took writing this post the basic point I was making was made, but I spent to much time not to post it.
Third Party
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 01:40:30 AM »

Well that is good to know. Hopefully that will weaken the urge amongst some left-wing voters to vote for the "lesser-evil" Democrat rather than Pollina. I'd also like to see Douglas defeated as well, because he vetoed IRV and the NPVIC.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 01:50:55 AM »

Well that is good to know. Hopefully that will weaken the urge amongst some left-wing voters to vote for the "lesser-evil" Democrat rather than Pollina. I'd also like to see Douglas defeated as well, because he vetoed IRV and the NPVIC.

Yes, that's what bugs me about Douglas. The rest is fine, but those vetoes: yuck.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 02:28:18 AM »

Vermont Democrats couldn't possibly be that stupid.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 12:22:20 PM »

Note: Pollina pulled 9.5% in 2000 against Howard Dean.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 01:08:46 PM »

So it would be more intelligent for them to back the incumbent Republican or an independent?
defe07

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 01:37:31 PM »

I know this has nothing to do with the Gubernatorial Election but I think that the Vermont Progressives should consider being part of the Greens. You know, smaller states are easier to start with because you don't need that much money for advertising and you don't need that many votes.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 01:53:44 PM »

I know this has nothing to do with the Gubernatorial Election but I think that the Vermont Progressives should consider being part of the Greens. You know, smaller states are easier to start with because you don't need that much money for advertising and you don't need that many votes.

Joining the Greens would be jumping the shark, causing a complete loss of relevance. Nobody likes the Greens. They're still the Ralph Nader party.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 03:07:51 PM »

They can't do that -- they actually have elected officeholders.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 04:14:24 PM »

No party wants to go down the road of joke-party status and irrelevance.
Third Party
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 04:26:03 PM »

They can't do that -- they actually have elected officeholders.

Actually, the Green Party has around 230 elected officials nationwide, including the mayor of a city in California with over 100,000 people (Richmond).

That being said, I do not see the point in having the Vermont Progressives (or the Working Families Party) merge with the Greens currently. If there was PR and party lists for parliamentary elections in the US, then it would make sense though.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 04:59:42 PM »

So it would be more intelligent for them to back the incumbent Republican or an independent?

It would be more intelligent to support whomever gets the most popular votes, no?
Third Party
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 05:10:01 PM »

It would be more intelligent to support whomever gets the most popular votes, no?

No, if Anthony Pollina and Gaye Symington receive more votes combined than Jim Douglas, then it is clear that the majority of the voters wanted to elect someone to the left of Douglas. Therefore, in that case, the legislature should give the seat to Symington or Pollina.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies