Vermont gubernatorial election, 2008 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:05:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Vermont gubernatorial election, 2008 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which candidate do you support?
Anthony Pollina (Progressive)

Gaye Symington (Democrat)

Jim Douglas (Republican)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Vermont gubernatorial election, 2008  (Read 15496 times)
Third Party
Rookie

« on: July 25, 2008, 08:15:52 PM »

Note that all three of these candidates are considered to be "major party" candidates in Vermont. The Vermont Progressive Party elected a mayor in Burlington (the largest city in the state), and has six seats in the Vermont House of Representatives. It is the strongest minor party in any individual US state.

Who do you support? Who do you think will win?

This election is notable, because Anthony Pollina of the Progressives has a chance of winning. However, the Democrat would have to do very poorly for him to win.
Third Party
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 09:23:12 PM »

Apparently Pollina recently decided to be listed on the ballot as "independent" rather than Progressive. However, he also says that isn't abandoning his party either: http://www.anthonypollina.com/news/2008/07/21/building-an-independent-coalition/

BTW, Douglas won with around 45% of the vote in 2002.
Third Party
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 01:40:30 AM »

Well that is good to know. Hopefully that will weaken the urge amongst some left-wing voters to vote for the "lesser-evil" Democrat rather than Pollina. I'd also like to see Douglas defeated as well, because he vetoed IRV and the NPVIC.
Third Party
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 04:26:03 PM »

They can't do that -- they actually have elected officeholders.

Actually, the Green Party has around 230 elected officials nationwide, including the mayor of a city in California with over 100,000 people (Richmond).

That being said, I do not see the point in having the Vermont Progressives (or the Working Families Party) merge with the Greens currently. If there was PR and party lists for parliamentary elections in the US, then it would make sense though.
Third Party
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 05:10:01 PM »

It would be more intelligent to support whomever gets the most popular votes, no?

No, if Anthony Pollina and Gaye Symington receive more votes combined than Jim Douglas, then it is clear that the majority of the voters wanted to elect someone to the left of Douglas. Therefore, in that case, the legislature should give the seat to Symington or Pollina.
Third Party
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 06:06:53 PM »

Sorry, let me qualify: they actually have elected officeholders in partisan positions. The Greens have plenty of people they slip in to nonpartisan elections, but aside from John Eder (and that was only for like, 2 terms), can't get anyone elected to a partisan office.

I know that the Vermont Progressive Party has won many partisan elections, which I mentioned in my first post in this thread. However, the Green Party has also won many partisan elections as well (not just for state legislature in Maine, but also for city councilor and similar positions in a number of states). It is hard to say how many, because the ballot laws vary from state to state. For example, here in Nebraska even the legislature elections are non-partisan, while the city council/mayor elections have partisan labels.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies