Vermont gubernatorial election, 2008 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:02:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Vermont gubernatorial election, 2008 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which candidate do you support?
Anthony Pollina (Progressive)

Gaye Symington (Democrat)

Jim Douglas (Republican)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Vermont gubernatorial election, 2008  (Read 15499 times)
Kevinstat

« on: July 25, 2008, 10:58:34 PM »

Apparently Pollina recently decided to be listed on the ballot as "independent" rather than Progressive. However, he also says that isn't abandoning his party either: http://www.anthonypollina.com/news/2008/07/21/building-an-independent-coalition/

BTW, Douglas won with around 45% of the vote in 2002.

Going into that election, the Republicans had an overall majority in the Legislature and I guess were expected to keep it.  Douglas's Democratic opponent, somebody Racine, pledged not to seek election by the Legislature if he failed to receive a majority.  Perhaps he assumed the Republicans would keep overall control of the Legislature and elect Douglas anyway, and he didn't want Vermont to be bitterly divided over the outcome.  Racine led in the polls throughout most if not all of the campaign I believe, but below 50% at least towards the end.  As it turned out, the Democrats won an overall majority in the Legislature in the 2002 elections and it was that Legislature who would choose the governor if no candidate received a majority.  (I'm not sure if the candidates other than the top two could have been selected, particularly if one of the two dropped out; could the Legislature have elected Cornellius (sp?) Hogan if they had wanted to?)  But Racine kept his word (and he had lost the popular vote, 42% to 45%, which was, according to the Almanacs of American Politics from 2004 on, "something of a surprise") and Douglas became governor.  Douglas got 59% of the vote in 2004 and 56% in 2006, so Vermont's 50% rule hasn't mattered.  Howard Dean only barely got 50.45% of the vote in 2000 when the Republicans gained an overall majority in the Legislature, and as zealous as the Republican base was in Vermont in 2000, if .46% of the vote had gone from Dean to Anthony Pollina I doubt it would have mattered that Dean polled over 12% more than Ruth Dwyer and that the Dean + Pollina vote (Pollina had run to Dean's left) was over 60%.  Dwyer might well have lost in 2002 though, and the Democrats might have controlled everything in Vermont right now.  They probably will after Douglas retires, not that I think he's safe now.

Well, in the time I took writing this post the basic point I was making was made, but I spent to much time not to post it.
Kevinstat

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 12:39:30 PM »

Douglas saved his bacon (or tofurky, this being VT) by vetoeing that IRV bill. But it's not over yet. If Douglas falls below 50%, the D leg. will pick Symington.

Vermont Democrats couldn't possibly be that stupid.
So it would be more intelligent for them to back the incumbent Republican or an independent?

It would be more intelligent to support whomever gets the most popular votes, no?

Ten years ago yes. I think the GOP is all but dead in Vermont that the chance to take out the only remaining Republican in the state would outweigh whatever damage it would do. Plus they will come under enormous pressure from the Daily Kos base to not give up the governorship and for the individuals legislators the threat of primary challengers matters more. Democrats generally are in a much more partisan mood than in 2002. I also think it would depend on the Presidential results. If Obama lost, the Democrats would be under enormous pressure to lash out against someone and Douglas would be an easy target.

That said, Douglas would be smart to nail Symington on pledging to abide by the results. If Symington does, as both Racine and Dwyer did, then it would be hard for the leglisator to elect anyone other than Douglas.

Dwyer had made that pledge in 2000?  I remember reading that Dean was effectively only barely reelected in 2000 because the Republican Legislature would have voted in Dwyer.  And I had read that Racine plegged not to contest the election in the Legislature even if he got a plurality of the vote as was expected (but didn't happen) but not a majority.
Kevinstat

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 10:45:18 PM »

Dubie owed his initial election to Democratic-Progressive (Pollina actually) vote-splitting I believe, but his remaining in office as a not particularly moderate (if at all) Republican is impressive.  I'm not sure what his reelection percentages have been.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies