McCain promises to win California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:48:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain promises to win California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: McCain promises to win California  (Read 9368 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 02:53:35 PM »

Don't the Republicans say they will win California every election?

of course, and it's a smart move.  there is a lot of money there.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 03:01:19 PM »

McCain will promise to lose California by next week, tops.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 03:03:06 PM »

If McCain begins to dump money into CA, I have officially lost faith in him.

That said, CA has a fairly good chance at inching toward the GOP in comparison to the national average; It will probably be around Dem+10.  In '04, it was Dem+12.5
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 03:04:22 PM »

If McCain begins to dump money into CA, I have officially lost faith in him.

That said, CA has a fairly good chance at inching toward the GOP in comparison to the national average; It will probably be around Dem+10.  In '04, it was Dem+12.5

Yeah, but no matter how badly you get destroyed, around half of the states will have that happen, so that's kind of meaningless.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 03:08:05 PM »

Obama is the odds-on favorite to win Virginia and is 4-1 in polls there since he wrapped up the nomination, albeit all within the MoE.  dismissing VA's competitiveness as out-of-hand like you seem to is not intellectually defensible.

LOL

Odds on favorite now to win VA? Ok.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 03:09:58 PM »

Obama is the odds-on favorite to win Virginia and is 4-1 in polls there since he wrapped up the nomination, albeit all within the MoE.  dismissing VA's competitiveness as out-of-hand like you seem to is not intellectually defensible.

LOL

it's a fact and not an opinion.  stop being stupid.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 03:12:47 PM »

LOL

Yup, chances are that if Obama keeps his margins up, which is quite possible, he will win Virginia by over 10,000 votes.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 03:37:27 PM »

Don't the Republicans say they will win California every election?

of course, and it's a smart move.  there is a lot of money there.

You'd think the bigshots that routinely give out the $2300 would have the political savvy to realize which states their candidate can and cannot win, but perhaps not.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 03:52:36 PM »

HAHAHA the bigger question is whether Mccain can win GOP "strongholds" like San Diego county and if he can keep Obama below 55% in the socal area. After that he can concentrate on "winning" the whole state. Needless to say it ain't happenin.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 04:07:20 PM »

WOW!!!! Would this not be great for the republican party.

I can see it happening, but McCain will have to really campaign in California. The reason that I say that I could see it happening is because there are a lot of Latino supporters there and the Clintons are very big in the Latino areas. If McCain can get Latinos who were Clinton supporters to come on his side, and he can hold the southern California counties, do relatively well in the northern areas, and hold the margin down in Los Angeles then he could have a shot.

For that matter, I can see Obama winning Wyoming, but he will really have to campaign there.  The reason that I say that I could see that happening is because there are a lot of Romney supporters there.  If Obama can get Romney supporters to come on his side, and he can hold Teton County, do relatively well in other areas of the state and hold McCain's margins down in other areas of the state, then he could have a shot.

/ Any candidate can win in any place if he, you know, gets more votes than his opponent.  The issue is whether or not the candidate can do that and how he would go about doing it.
your Romney crap makes no sense. How would the Romney supporters go to Obama while Romney may very well be McCain's running mate and it makes no sense anyway for Romney supporters to switch to Obama than to McCain.

Garrison, I think you need your sarcasm meter checked. It seems to be malfunctioning.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 04:11:13 PM »

LOL

Fact? Obama lead PPP (D) poll by 2% and McCain lead by 1% in Rasmussen's poll. Yeah, it's a battle ground, but Obama is hardly the odds on favorite to win. Stop being stupid.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 04:17:35 PM »

LOL

Fact? Obama lead PPP (D) poll by 2% and McCain lead by 1% in Rasmussen's poll. Yeah, it's a battle ground, but Obama is hardly the odds on favorite to win. Stop being stupid.

Either way, VA is more likely to go Obama than CA is to go McCain so States is the one "being stupid."
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 05:05:43 PM »

"odds-on favorite" simply refers to gambling odds.  that's it.  it has nothing to do with opinion.  just as the New England Patriots are the odds-on favorites to win the Super Bowl and just as the New York Mets are the odds-on favorites to win the NL East, Barack Obama is the odds-on favorite to win Virginia (trading at about 62 on Intrade IIRC)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2008, 06:08:10 PM »

lol
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2008, 06:15:32 PM »

I don't think I've ever heard of a candidate going to a state without promising to win it. Tongue The opposite would have been worthy of a headline...

And like MiamiU said - there's a lot of GOP money in California. And I don't think everyone consider California to be that Democratic so as to make such a statement ridiculous.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2008, 06:16:38 PM »

McCain obviously is just trying to make Californians feel less like an ATM.

At least Obama is spending money on 15 paid staffers in Texas, the other ATM state.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2008, 08:50:30 PM »

your Romney crap makes no sense. How would the Romney supporters go to Obama while Romney may very well be McCain's running mate and it makes no sense anyway for Romney supporters to switch to Obama than to McCain.

Your crap about John McCain winning California in 2008 also makes no sense Garrison. Anybody can campaign in any state quite alot and still manage to lose it, and although John McCain might claim he'll do this in California this year we all know what the outcome will be: Obama will win California.

I would like to point out also that you are over estimating the effect of a running mate, such as Mitt Romney. No running mate since Lyndon B. Johnson in 1960 (though it is debatable), had such an effect a huge effect as a running mate and that won't change anytime soon. If McCain wins Michigan thanks to Romney, I will watch Tony Danza's Who's the Boss until I go insane.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2008, 08:53:30 PM »

I'm sure he'll win it after Obama sweeps Kansas and Alaska.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2008, 09:07:16 PM »

The only way McCain will come within 5 points in California is if Obama is live on CNN calling his wife a n***er and a c**t and then immediately sodomizing Larry King.

Anything else is hackish.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2008, 09:25:16 PM »

That's a lot of straight talk right there.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2008, 12:55:44 AM »

McCain in SF: ''I will win California''

LOL! 

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2008, 10:04:50 AM »

LOL

Yup, chances are that if Obama keeps his margins up, which is quite possible, he will win Virginia by over 10,000 votes.

Can I quote you on that MyPalFish?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »

LOL

Can I quote you on that MyPalFish?

You can. Tongue
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2008, 09:14:40 PM »

...and obama is pissing away money in georgia, north carolina and OMGZ NEBRASKA!!!111

Almost comedy gold-mine material...

BTW: Good call Sbane on San Diego county.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 09:58:52 PM »

...and obama is pissing away money in georgia, north carolina and OMGZ NEBRASKA!!!111

Almost comedy gold-mine material...

BTW: Good call Sbane on San Diego county.

Didn't even notice that. LOL.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies