nuclear energy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:38:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  nuclear energy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: nuclear energy  (Read 5069 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2008, 03:35:04 PM »

In general, do you support the continuation/expansion of nuclear energy?
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 03:42:08 PM »

No. At least not until we found a safe area to store the waste.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 04:05:19 PM »

Nope I think that people would have to really know what they were doing. And  some Americans in my opinion are getting dumber,
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 04:09:20 PM »

With proper safety techniques, yes I support expansion of nuclear power. We have a lot of land in this country and we can locate these plants safely away from populated areas. Transporting waste is the most important problem but we can even mitigate that by allowing for enough space around the plant to store that waste for 50-100 years. By that time the radioactivity will go down and if there was an accident during transportation the effect would be less. Expanding nuclear power will not be easy and many precautions will need to be taken. If we try to run it in the republican unregulated way, I will guarantee you there will be accidents as people put profit before safety.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 04:12:53 PM »

You think we would have enough space? People are coming in like a swarm of flys. It would be way to crowded. Especially since you have to kick people out to make more room. Now what?
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 04:13:24 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2008, 04:17:45 PM by It must be your face »

I'm extremely supportive. It's cheap, efficient, and we have ample plutonium reserves. As for the waste, if France found a way to safely of it I'm sure a country as large and resourceful as us can. Besides the Coal Plants we have now cause far more pollution and lung cancer than Nuclear Power has. Actually if you look at the facts the average Coal Plant releases 100 times as much radiation as a Nuclear Power plant of the same wattage.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 04:14:22 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2008, 04:16:05 PM by sbane »

You think we would have enough space? People are coming in like a swarm of flys. It would be way to crowded. Especially since you have to kick people out to make more room. Now what?

Have you taken a drive through the mojave desert? How about much of the west? We will have to locate these plants in areas where the environmentalists will bitch and moan about but it has to be done. Safety first though.

Edit: How the hell are people coming here in swarms? I think due to immigration our demographics are about the most stable in the world. I could be wrong though but you have to show me proof.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 04:17:47 PM »

I'm extremely supportive. It's cheap, efficient, and we have ample plutonium reserves. As for the waste, if France found a way to safely of it I'm sure a country as large and resourceful as us can. Besides the Coal Plants we have now cause far more pollution and lung cancer than Nuclear Power has.

You seem to have your priorities backwards. I'm supportive of nuclear power once we can deal with the waste, not "Lets use nuclear power now, I'm sure we'll come along with a way of disposing of waste later."
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 04:20:57 PM »

Read that over again: Comparatively smaller 1st world countries do not appear to be having any serious problems disposing of their waste. If France can use nuclear power for the majority of their electricity, I don't see why we can't use it for at least more than 20% of ours. Especially since, again, our Fossil Fuel emissions kill far more people annually than Nuclear Power ever has.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 04:27:05 PM »

Have you taken a drive through the mojave desert? How about much of the west? We will have to locate these plants in areas where the environmentalists will bitch and moan about but it has to be done. Safety first though.

Edit: How the hell are people coming here in swarms? I think due to immigration our demographics are about the most stable in the world. I could be wrong though but you have to show me proof.

We have plenty of space. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to look at Alaska. 600,000 people & bigger than Texas, California, & Montana combined. We could just store all the waste somewhere in inland Alaska.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 04:28:22 PM »

Why can't we just use wind,solar,water. Just cause France doe it does not mean we should. It would be very dangerous if something happend. And things always happen.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 04:29:32 PM »

PiT (The Physicist)
So you want to harm the enviorment?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »

Why can't we just use wind,solar,water. Just cause France doe it does not mean we should. It would be very dangerous if something happend. And things always happen.
PiT (The Physicist)

Wind, solar and water are great complements but they just cannot produce all of our electricity. Nuclear power if extremely powerful and building even a 100 plants would result in enormous amounts of energy. We have more than enough space for these plants too. And how does nuclear power hurt the environment cutie? That "smoke" coming from the chimney is actually water vapor. What are the environmentalists gonna say next " OMGZ THE WORLD IS BECOMING HUMID!!!!!!!!!!!"
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 04:34:31 PM »

What do you do when they explode!!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 04:35:37 PM »

That's incredibly unlikely.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 04:39:31 PM »

Well in the car museum they had a nuclear car and it exploded.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 04:40:25 PM »

Why not put in a program of using as much nuke power possible as a percentage of electricity and as a sop to the gaianists also massively invest in alt-energy and finding ways to re-use the radioactive material from nukes in power generation as much as possible? Happy now?
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 04:40:26 PM »

You do realize that Cherynobel was because of corrupt and incompetent soviet administration? If your logic was true, most of the first world outside of the US would be irradiated wastelands due to using nuke power.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 04:41:04 PM »

PiT (The Physicist)

I don't. However, I'm realistic about it. Nuclear fission is the best option available to us now. The nuclear waste is not that bad if properly maintained. There's a chance it won't be, just as there's a chance a bird will be killed by those windmills out there.

Explosions in modern facilities are rare. Chernobyl was ancient & poorly-maintained when it melted down. A similar incident at Three-Mile Island was avoided when the safeties shut down the reactor before it went critical.

Well in the car museum they had a nuclear car and it exploded.

I doubt a car's safeties would be as sophisticated as those of an industrial reactor.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 04:47:34 PM »

Well then what do you do about the people who are born with chemical problems because of that.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 04:50:27 PM »

Well then what do you do about the people who are born with chemical problems because of that.

How common is this in the first place?
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 04:51:58 PM »

Well a lot of orphans from Russia have that problem so it is not rare.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 04:52:07 PM »

Come on do some better research. France produces 80% of its electricity from Nuclear power and they aren't all deformed...... I think.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 04:53:14 PM »

Well a lot of orphans from Russia have that problem so it is not rare.

From near Chernobyl? That would not be surprising. Also I am advocating a level of safety at least a 100 times better than whatever the soviets had.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 04:54:49 PM »

Do you remember the plane crash in the Ural mts? Think about it
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to: