Dem. Vice President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:39:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Dem. Vice President
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Dem. Vice President  (Read 7558 times)
daniel27
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2004, 01:47:43 PM »

The German Press is looking very close on the Primaries in the US. But i can not get any information, who could be the vice president if Kerry makes the race.

Tell me what u think about it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 01:48:51 PM »

1. Bayh
2. Edwards
3. Nelson
4. Bredesen
5. Richardson
daniel27
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 01:55:33 PM »

I would take edwards. may be  he could take one or two states in the south.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 01:59:15 PM »

I would take edwards. may be  he could take one or two states in the south.
No, he can't.  Kerry doesn't have a chance in the south no matter the VP, which is why I take Bayh.  The midwestern moderate strategy.
DarthKosh

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 01:59:48 PM »

1. Bayh
2. Edwards
3. Nelson
4. Bredesen
5. Richardson

Bayh doesn't want it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 02:01:01 PM »

Not true; Bayh said he doesn't want the presidency because it woudl take him away from his family for 2 whole years, but being VP is a 'different story', in Bayh's own words.
DarthKosh

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 02:04:50 PM »

Not true; Bayh said he doesn't want the presidency because it woudl take him away from his family for 2 whole years, but being VP is a 'different story', in Bayh's own words.
I still think he wants the head job.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 02:13:29 PM »

Well, he might when his kids are grown up.
DarthKosh

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 02:15:52 PM »

Well, he might when his kids are grown up.
He has time so he will problely take a pass on running this time.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 02:23:31 PM »

John Edwards seems to be the popular choice but he's indicating that he isn't interested in being VP.

I've also heard rumblings about Bill Richardson (Gov of New Mexico).  Personally I think he'd be a great choice.  He was US Ambassador to the UN, Secretary of Energy, a 4-time Nobel Peace Prize nom, and a great Gov.  Throw in the fact that he's from the Southwest and Hispanic and he's a winner.

Evan Bayh has been mentioned.  He's young, enthusiastic, and a moderate.  He'd help in Indiana but probably couldn't deliver the state.  He helps the ticket to be more moderate.

Dick Gephardt has been mentioned.  He has experience, would bring solid union support, and would unify the Democratic "Old Guard".  Truthfully though, Gephardt doesn't add to the ticket.  This would only be a "thank you" nod from the party for years of service.

Mark Warner, Gov of VA, has been mentioned.  But I think mainly because he's a Democrat, from the South, and tall (he can stand next to Kerry and not look like a midget).

John Breaux, Senator from Louisiana, has been mentioned.  But again, I think it is because he's a southerner and he's retiring this year.  So I doubt he'd take the nom.

Dianne Feinstein, Senator of CA, has been mentioned.  But mainly because CA could be a battleground and Feinstein was one the first to endorse Kerry.

There are others ... but I'd say these are the tops names right now.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 02:24:27 PM »

I think Bayh would take it if it was offered to him.
aburr
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 05:05:37 PM »

The German Press is looking very close on the Primaries in the US. But i can not get any information, who could be the vice president if Kerry makes the race.

Enjoy the silence while you can mein freund, after Super Tueday you'll hear more than enough about this to drive you nuts...
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 05:16:13 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2004, 05:16:57 PM by Michael Z »

Gruesse nach Hamburg! I've got family over there (my parents are both German) and visit it occasionally. Great city, really like it.

Anyway, In my opinion John Edwards has the best chance. He would provide Kerry with something of a balance - Kerry is a liberal, Edwards a moderate; Kerry a northerner, Edwards a southener; and so on. Of course the Democrats are highly unlikely to win a single Southern state, but the question here is national unity, and a Kerry/Edwards ticket would definitely convey that.

Otherwise, Evan Bayh (Iowa) or Mark Warner (Virginia). But that's just my personal interpretation.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004, 05:19:58 PM »

John Edwards seems to be the popular choice but he's indicating that he isn't interested in being VP.

Of course he says that, he is still in the race for Presidential candidate, you don't take your eye off the prize while it is still in sight and if he said he would be VP, he would seem as though he thought he would lose the presidential candidate race and in doing so, possibly would.....
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 05:23:38 PM »

I think Edwards would accept the nod, no doubt.
aburr
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2004, 05:32:02 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2004, 06:17:20 PM by aburr »

Gruesse nach Hamburg! I've got family over there (my parents are both German) and visit it occasionally. Great city, really like it.

Anyway, In my opinion John Edwards has the best chance. He would provide Kerry with something of a balance - Kerry is a liberal, Edwards a moderate; Kerry a northerner, Edwards a southener; and so on. Of course the Democrats are highly unlikely to win a single Southern state, but the question here is national unity, and a Kerry/Edwards ticket would definitely convey that.

Otherwise, Evan Bayh (Indiana) or Mark Warner (Virginia). But that's just my personal interpretation.

So the John Edwards slogan would be "Give me modesty or give me boat drinks?"
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2004, 05:44:35 PM »

It's very hard to predict these things.  We won't really know until the convention.  In 2000, Cheney and Leiberman were both pretty much out of the blue.  Dick Cheney?  Some Reagan administration guy who had been out of the spotlight for 12 years?

I think it has to be a Southern moderate.  Edwards would be a very good choice - although you'd think McCain would have been a slam dunk* for Bush in 2000, but with all of the animosity generated in that campaign, it just wouldn't have happened.  This may be a similar situation.

Mark Warner of Virginia would be an excellent choice.

*a slam dunk... as opposed to Bill Bradley for Gore (sorry)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2004, 05:46:00 PM »

McCain wasn't that fond of George W. Bush...when he dropped out of the race he didn't endorse Bush, and he only 'endorsed' Bush in May, and the reporters had to extract it out of his mouth.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2004, 05:46:05 PM »

I agree beef, if Kerry and Edwards start a mudslinging campaign like that of McCain and Bush, I reckon that neither would choose the other as VP.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2004, 05:47:10 PM »

I agree beef, if Kerry and Edwards start a mudslinging campaign like that of McCain and Bush, I reckon that neither would choose the other as VP.
edwards won't do that, he's a truly good guy.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2004, 05:48:13 PM »

I know, but Kerry could start one still and I think Edwards would have to do some to stay in really although it would be a grudging decision if he ever did.....
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2004, 05:57:01 PM »

I know, but Kerry could start one still and I think Edwards would have to do some to stay in really although it would be a grudging decision if he ever did.....
The meanest I have ever seen Edwards was in that debate:

"Senatir Kerry, that's the longest answer Ah evah heard to a yes-er-no question"
daniel27
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2004, 05:57:11 PM »

THX for the answer. Thats a cool statement. I would prfer the ticket Kerry/Edwards.

Best wishes to the US
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Otherwise, Evan Bayh (Iowa) or Mark Warner (Virginia). But that's just my personal interpretation.
[/quote]

So the John Edwards slogan would be "Give me modesty or give me boat drinks?"
[/quote]
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2004, 05:58:13 PM »

heh, i like that quote miami, it's a nice one
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2004, 06:01:26 PM »

heh, i like that quote miami, it's a nice one
I got his accent down alright...he reminds me of my nephew's science teacher.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies