Karl Rove cited for contempt of congress.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:42:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Karl Rove cited for contempt of congress.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Karl Rove cited for contempt of congress.  (Read 1369 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2008, 11:51:55 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080730/ap_on_go_co/lame_duck_oversight

This won't amount to anything though.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 11:54:24 AM »

Good to see the Congress is concentrating on solving the problems America faces. Maybe this will help lower gas prices.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 12:15:44 PM »

Good to see the Congress is concentrating on solving the problems America faces. Maybe this will help lower gas prices.

Don't forget save the planet.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 12:18:41 PM »

AHD and MODU think that you're above the law if you're a Republican.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 12:27:44 PM »

Sarcasm is missed on you today.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 01:17:58 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2008, 01:24:34 PM by GM(cCain)3 »

Sarcasm is missed on you  every today.

Can't wait to watch Olbermann tonight.  Wink
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 04:28:30 PM »

Seriously though republicans, don't you think Rove should testify before congress or is the law just a "distraction" from the real issues. I mean since this wonderful congress of ours cannot get anything done, wouldn't it be great if they got to talk to this criminal.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 05:45:20 PM »

Seriously though republicans, don't you think Rove should testify before congress or is the law just a "distraction" from the real issues. I mean since this wonderful congress of ours cannot get anything done, wouldn't it be great if they got to talk to this criminal.

If you look at their position, where advisors cannot be called since they don't make the decisions, then I agree with Rove for not showing up.  If you take the position that anyone who provides advice can be subject to questioning, then you can take Congresses side.  Looking at this, neither side has made their case one way or the other.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 10:23:11 PM »

If you look at their position, where advisors cannot be called since they don't make the decisions, then I agree with Rove for not showing up.  If you take the position that anyone who provides advice can be subject to questioning, then you can take Congresses side.  Looking at this, neither side has made their case one way or the other.

I do not know why he has to evade congress though. Why can't he just show up and answer a few questions? And hopefully he doesn't pull a Gonzales and pretend as if he has been smoking pot hourly for the last 20 years.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 10:34:50 PM »

I think we all have contempt for Congress.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 03:36:58 AM »

Good.  I am sick and tired of partisan crap going on right now.  Rove should be held in contempt, the same way that Janet Reno was held in contempt.  Just go testify - if you have nothing to hide, it won't be a problem.  So, Republicans, most of you called foul at the Clinton administration for a lot of witnesses not testifying, so call foul now.  Democrats, if you didn't call foul against Clinton (as you rightfully should have), I don't want to hear it from you.

If we didn't pay attention to the partisan politics so much, we'd get a lot more done.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 07:41:56 AM »

I do not know why he has to evade congress though. Why can't he just show up and answer a few questions? And hopefully he doesn't pull a Gonzales and pretend as if he has been smoking pot hourly for the last 20 years.

Well, if he has to show up and answer questions, what about foreign leaders who offer the President advice?  They carry the same amount of influence as Rove.  Again, this goes back to how do we treat advisors.  Advisors do nothing more than advise.  They don't create policy or make decisions.  So why would they have to report to Congress on anything?

I could see the hearing now:

Congressman:  Mr. Rove, is it true that you are an advisor to the President?

Rove:  Yes, that is true.

Congressman:  Mr. Rove, is it true you provided advice to the President on Judges?

Rove:  Maybe.

Congressman:  Maybe?

Rove:  Yes, Maybe.  Any other questions, or may I be excused?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 07:46:17 AM »

Well, if he has to show up and answer questions, what about foreign leaders who offer the President advice?  They carry the same amount of influence as Rove.  Again, this goes back to how do we treat advisors.  Advisors do nothing more than advise.  They don't create policy or make decisions.  So why would they have to report to Congress on anything?

I could see the hearing now:

Congressman:  Mr. Rove, is it true that you are an advisor to the President?

Rove:  Yes, that is true.

Congressman:  Mr. Rove, is it true you provided advice to the President on Judges?

Rove:  Maybe.

Congressman:  Maybe?

Rove:  Yes, Maybe.  Any other questions, or may I be excused?

I move to amend MODU's script:   Mr. Rove: I'm here as required, I won't answer any questions, shove it up your asses.  Have a nice day.  Bye.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 07:52:50 AM »

hahaha . . . well, I was trying to be politically correct.  Smiley

However, that's what the hearing would be like.  Unless Congress can show where they have the right to question advisors, any testimony by Rove if he does play along will be empty, since he wouldn't be required to give any details.  Of course, if there is grounds to question advisors, I would be that Rove would in turn request to question the advisors of the Congressmen on the panel.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 08:06:21 AM »

I've tried oh wise one.  Can't do it.  Tongue
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 08:34:07 AM »

I think we all have contempt for Congress.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 08:46:19 AM »

I've tried oh wise one.  Can't do it.  Tongue

Believe me, it's not easy on this end either.  hahaha
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 10:13:12 AM »

The executive privillege argument has merit, which doesn't exactly help the Democrats.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 10:21:53 AM »

Really?  Well you better cite me too, because I have nothing but contempt for the bastards.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 10:36:40 AM »

US judge: White House aides can be subpoenaed By MATT APUZZO, Associated Press Writer
 33 minutes ago

President Bush's top advisers are not immune from congressional subpoenas, a federal judge ruled Thursday in an unprecedented dispute between the two political branches.

The House Judiciary Committee wants to question the president's chief of staff, Josh Bolten, and former legal counsel Harriet Miers, about the firing of nine U.S. attorneys. But President Bush says they are immune from such subpoenas. They say Congress can't force them to testify or turn over documents.

U.S. District Judge John Bates disagreed, saying there's no legal basis for that argument and that Miers must appear before Congress. If she wants to refuse to testify, he said, she must do so in person.

"Harriet Miers is not immune from compelled congressional process; she is legally required to testify pursuant to a duly issued congressional subpoena," Bates wrote.

He said that both Bolten and Miers must give Congress all non-privileged documents related to the firings.

The ruling is a blow to the Bush administration's efforts to bolster the power of the executive branch at the expensive of the legislative branch. Disputes over congressional subpoenas are normally resolved through political compromise, not through the court system. Had Bush prevailed, it would have dramatically weakened congressional authority in oversight investigations.

The administration can appeal the ruling. White House spokesman Tony Fratto and Justice Department spokesman Peter Carr said they were reviewing the court's opinion and declined immediate comment.

Bates, who was appointed to the bench by Bush, issued a 93-page opinion that strongly rejected the administration's legal arguments. He noted that the executive branch could not point to a single case in which courts held that White House aides were immune from congressional subpoenas.

"That simple yet critical fact bears repeating: the asserted absolute immunity claim here is entirely unsupported by existing case law," Bates wrote.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 11:29:05 PM »

The executive privillege argument has merit, which doesn't exactly help the Democrats.

REJECTED! Hell yes.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 12:50:09 AM »

I completely agree with the judge.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 08:51:24 AM »

REJECTED! Hell yes.

Appealed.  Won't be heard until after Bush leaves office.

The argument has merit and will be litigated.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 09:24:05 AM »

REJECTED! Hell yes.

J.J., if you're referring to the article I posted, my understanding of it is they simply have to appear.  They don't have to say sh**t but they need to plop their but in the chair.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 07:33:02 PM »

REJECTED! Hell yes.

J.J., if you're referring to the article I posted, my understanding of it is they simply have to appear.  They don't have to say sh**t but they need to plop their but in the chair.

Yeah he will basically claim Amnesia and bounce. Will make for a hilarious daily show episode though. I love how he get most of his material from CSPAN. I really need to start watching that s**t.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies