The internet and future elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 05:26:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The internet and future elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How will negative statements posted on the internet affect candidates down the road?
Mainly ignored

Some ignored, but the "juicier" ones will surface in campaigns

It'll be a major source for attacks against candidates

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: The internet and future elections  (Read 581 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2008, 03:48:50 AM »

With the rise of social networking sites, and forums, how will the internet affect elections, say 30 years down the road?  Will Facebook pages be looked at to see what controversial statements were said, or will the candidates essentially have an understood agreement not to go there, since most everybody would have a few things on Facebook, or a forum like this, that would be embarassing?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 06:02:48 AM »
« Edited: July 31, 2008, 09:29:57 AM by Spears/Hilton '08 »

The Internet the way we understand it now probably won't exist in 30 years.

Had you asked someone this question in 1978 he would have answered: "WTF is the Internet???" And had you asked whether some kind of global computer network would play an important part in elections you probably would have gotten some of the most hilarious (but also naive) answers. Also keep in mind that the rate of technological progress is constantly accelerating, so the gap between 2038 and 2008 will be even larger than the gap between 2008 and 1978.

That said, it seems plausible that the Internet will be merged with the television and the telephone (and perhaps other things) into a single and mobile/portable medium. This medium will of course constitute the most significant (only?) form of communication, information, and entertainment and therefore will also play a primary role in elections.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 09:47:32 AM »

My guess is we'll see a gradual shift in attitudes to not care so much about people's personal backgrounds.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 12:59:42 PM »

Will Facebook pages be looked at to see what controversial statements were said, or will the candidates essentially have an understood agreement not to go there, since most everybody would have a few things on Facebook, or a forum like this, that would be embarassing?

They're already checked. I know people that monitor and their Facebook, worried of even the most controversial things appearing. Some of it is wise but a lot of it is definitely paranoia. I guess that's what happens when you have political friends.

I think of it this way - if I'm running for office and Facebook is still around, I'll either a) be off of Facebook because I'll be a few years out of college and don't really feel the need for it anymore or b) simply make my page private before I start rumoring about a run. If making it private is too risky, I'll delete it.

Stuff like this forum can always be taken out of context and I'm sure it would be used (depending on the type of race, it might not get much attention).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies