Dem. Vice President (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:47:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Dem. Vice President (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dem. Vice President  (Read 7630 times)
Wakie
YaBB God

« on: February 18, 2004, 02:23:31 PM »

John Edwards seems to be the popular choice but he's indicating that he isn't interested in being VP.

I've also heard rumblings about Bill Richardson (Gov of New Mexico).  Personally I think he'd be a great choice.  He was US Ambassador to the UN, Secretary of Energy, a 4-time Nobel Peace Prize nom, and a great Gov.  Throw in the fact that he's from the Southwest and Hispanic and he's a winner.

Evan Bayh has been mentioned.  He's young, enthusiastic, and a moderate.  He'd help in Indiana but probably couldn't deliver the state.  He helps the ticket to be more moderate.

Dick Gephardt has been mentioned.  He has experience, would bring solid union support, and would unify the Democratic "Old Guard".  Truthfully though, Gephardt doesn't add to the ticket.  This would only be a "thank you" nod from the party for years of service.

Mark Warner, Gov of VA, has been mentioned.  But I think mainly because he's a Democrat, from the South, and tall (he can stand next to Kerry and not look like a midget).

John Breaux, Senator from Louisiana, has been mentioned.  But again, I think it is because he's a southerner and he's retiring this year.  So I doubt he'd take the nom.

Dianne Feinstein, Senator of CA, has been mentioned.  But mainly because CA could be a battleground and Feinstein was one the first to endorse Kerry.

There are others ... but I'd say these are the tops names right now.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 11:32:31 AM »

I read in THE ARIZONA REPUBLIC this morning that Gov. Napolitano is being considered as a running mate. She would balance the ticket geographicly, seeing as kerrys from new england, a VP from the southwest would probably help.
Nah, I don't see her being picked.  IT only gains kerry 15EV's in the SW with AZ and NM, but Bayh would gain him Ohio and Iowa, and put Indiana in play.
If Bayh could win him OH he would certainly be worth it, but I'm not convinced he can.  He would throw a twist on things in Indiana and would likely lock down Iowa.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies