Old Testament? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:31:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Old Testament? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Old Testament?  (Read 6031 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: August 05, 2008, 08:02:10 PM »

I find myself feeling that the Old Testament is partial BS. I don't understand why but it seems to me that I just can't agree with the fact God would almost destroy the World once, tell the Israelites to kill all of the Cannanites even though they were innocent and then later Jesus preaches a message of peace. Then we are supposed to believe God can't change his opinion and this was part of his plan. Huh

It just doesn't make sense to me and I find myself agreeing wholeheartedly with almost 100% of the New Testament but thinking the Old Testament is just a bunch of stories written by the Jewish people that shouldn't pertain to Christians much besides providing a foundation for our faith.

I heard a good explanation about this by Nietzsche. I could tell you if you want to hear, but please be aware that he's coming from a firmly Atheistic standpoint here.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 10:16:22 PM »

I suppose that for the sake of conversation, I should elaborate on the Atheist standpoint. The idea is basically hinged on a shift in power, & as a result, a paradigm shift in the cultural thought.

In the Old Testament, the Israelites, after leaving Egypt, were top dog (at least until the Persians invaded them). In order to justify the wars that they carried out against various other peoples, they said that God ordered them to fight these wars. This is what Nietzsche calls the "master mentality." To wit, the oppressor is in the right.

What happened after that was that they were no longer the strongest people around. They were beaten & annexed by Persia & then Rome. In order to justify their plight (they were after all the chosen people of God), they backpedalled & said that in fact peace is superior to conquest. Hence the New Testament, where Jesus preaches the doctrine of "turn the other cheek." This is what Nietzsche calls the "slave mentality." To wit, the oppressed is in the right.

That's the Atheist Subjectivist explanation of discrepancies between the two testaments in a nutshell. Take it for what you will.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 10:31:39 PM »

Old notions of how we got the OT and where exactly it comes from are almost certainly incorrect and, ironically, the "atheist" perspective is a decent explanation, though not the conclusion they come to as a result.

I didn't mean to imply that it is the definitive position for all Atheists. However, most Atheists I know have taken that position. That aside, if you're not a Christian, that position does make a lot of sense.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 01:36:15 PM »

I heard a good explanation about this by Nietzsche.

The less said by that disgusting Nazi fuck the better.

How can you possibly be a Nazi before they even existed? Roll Eyes

Didn't anyone tell you? Nietzsche was a time traveler. Tongue

Thank you for finding that. As anyone can see from my topic about Nietzsche (insert shameless topic hawking), a lot of people voiced negative opinions of Nietzsche, & gave reasonable explanations. BRTD was the only one to call him a Nazi.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies