Casey may be given primetime speaking slot at convention.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:33:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Casey may be given primetime speaking slot at convention.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Casey may be given primetime speaking slot at convention.  (Read 3311 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2008, 12:33:10 PM »

Oh, so very precious. Deny his father, the true Pro Life advocate, of the speaking slot over a decade ago but let his brilliant orator of a son speak in 2008!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/07/us/politics/07catholics.html?_r=1&ref=us&oref=slogin

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 12:39:18 PM »

Oh, so very precious. Deny his father, the true Pro Life advocate, of the speaking slot over a decade ago but let his brilliant orator of a son speak in 2008!

It surely helps that Casey, unlike his father, has both endorsed and strongly supports the Democratic nominee for President.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 12:42:31 PM »

It surely helps that Casey, unlike his father, has both endorsed and strongly supports the Democratic nominee for President.

1992 isn't really the issue here. I'm just bringing this up because Casey isn't exactly the best pick as a speaker especially to a nationwide audience.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 12:42:58 PM »

Who decides speakers at the convention?   It's the Obama campaign, right?

Bob Casey's Dad refused to endorse Clinton-Gore:
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-12600380_ITM
http://dailyhowler.com/dh040208.shtml

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 12:46:16 PM »

And, as I clearly stated in my previous post, this topic wasn't about that. If we want to play that game, though, it's a lot of "He said, she said..." because I believe Casey has always claimed that it was about his views on abortion.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 12:49:36 PM »

*facepalms*

I guess Obama really doesn't want people to stay awake during the convention.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 12:52:18 PM »

*facepalms*

A small price to pay to end 16 years of tut-tutting from commentators about the great scandal of Bob Casey, Sr. and the Democrats' betrayal.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 12:55:27 PM »

*facepalms*

A small price to pay to end 16 years of tut-tutting from commentators about the great scandal of Bob Casey, Sr. and the Democrats' betrayal.

It could also fan the flames. They'll be sure to mention that Casey isn't exactly like his father on the issue and that Casey has gotten awfully close to Pro Choice leaders (those that basically forced this sad push over into the Senate race).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 01:26:34 PM »

Oh great this is going to be Bill Clinton at the 1988 Convention on steroids. I can't stand to listen to this guy. If I am watching the Senate on C-span and I here "The Senator from Pennsylvania is recognised" I either run for the remote or leave the room. Good pick Obama put this man up in front of a national audience. Give him an hour no two hours. Let me be clear its not what he says but how he says it. Image if there was a real filibuster this guy would be in monotones after 4 hours.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 01:48:50 PM »

1992 isn't really the issue here. I'm just bringing this up because Casey isn't exactly the best pick as a speaker especially to a nationwide audience.

Yet in your first post, you mention nothing about this being why you brought this up, in fact, just the opposite........that's why everyone wants to mention he didnt endorse Clinton.

I think everyone's comments so far are valid.

But you're right, Casey Jr. is a putz.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 01:55:53 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2008, 01:57:42 PM by JSojourner »

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/07/us/politics/07catholics.html?_r=1&ref=us&oref=slogin

I have to agree with Phil on this.  Not that I think Junior is so bad, he's not.  But he pales in comparison to his Dad.  Sure, his father was adamantly anti-choice.  But on so many other issues, he was unfailingly liberal.  In 1992, and still today, I argue that these are voices we Democrats must listen to openly and respectfully within our party.  Consider Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur and former Congressman Tony Hall, both of Ohio.  They both represent liberal, Democratic ideals and happen to oppose a woman's right to choose.  That should not disqualify them from being heard.

We need a new conversation in this country on abortion and abortion rights.  The anti-abortion rights folks need to come to grips with the reality that the genie is out of the bottle and criminalizing a medical procedure is highly impractical and, in many circumstances, unjust.

But the pro-abortion rights folks, like me, had better wake up and recognize that there is much more at stake in an abortion that merely a woman's right to choose.  Whether an actual human life or a potential human life is at stake is for theologians to determine and individuals to prayerfully seek out.  But whatever the nuances of the issue are -- the vast majority of Americans in both parties can agree that abortion is nearly always a tragedy and very often unecessary.

I'm with the folks in the 95-10 initiative on this (you can Google it).  Some, like Casey and Ben Nelson, would criminalize most abortions.  Others would not.  All hope and are working for a day when abortions are safe, extremely rare and usually impractical.

I know, I digress.  But 95% of the energy (pro and con) where the Caseys are concerned seems to hinge on this one issue.  Democrats don't like them and, in the past, have censored them because they are anti-abortion rights.  Republicans tend to dismiss or marginalize them because they skew fairly liberal on a lot of other issues.  What they really do is point out our crying need for new, fresh paradigms in discussing reproductive rights.  It does not need to be what it is today.  
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 03:19:49 PM »

Obama may have promised Casey this in exchange for his endorsement.

I wonder if Edwards will get a chance to speak?  Probably not with news of his affair officially breaking today.  Richardson, maybe?
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 03:28:54 PM »

Wow. What the hell is wrong with the Obama campaign? Bob Casey, Jr. is a dumbass DINO and a total waste of space.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 03:34:53 PM »

Mark Warner deserves a major speaking spot.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 03:36:31 PM »

Yet in your first post, you mention nothing about this being why you brought this up, in fact, just the opposite........that's why everyone wants to mention he didnt endorse Clinton.

Yes, I mentioned it in passing. Big deal. Take my word for it when I say that that wasn't my point in bringing this up.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 03:39:45 PM »

Yes, I mentioned it in passing. Big deal. Take my word for it when I say that that wasn't my point in bringing this up.

Fair enough....but I wasn't the only one who mis-understood, that's all I'm saying.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 03:51:34 PM »

Please understand, while you may be sincere, you'd be the first person in history to make reference to Casey's not being chosen a speaker at the 1992 Democratic Convention who didn't mean to say anything about his abortion views or whether Clinton snubbed him or not.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 03:54:24 PM »

Please understand, while you may be sincere, you'd be the first person in history to make reference to Casey's not being chosen a speaker at the 1992 Democratic Convention who didn't mean to say anything about his abortion views or whether Clinton snubbed him or not.

Roll Eyes

I mentioned it in passing. This thread is about Casey, Jr. speaking at the convention and how it is a stupid idea. Thank you.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 04:19:43 PM »

Shouldn't they be finding a hipster token minority to be there nominee in 4 years after Obama loses?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 04:20:31 PM »

Shouldn't they be finding a hipster token minority to be there nominee in 4 years after Obama loses?

Jindal's speaking at your convention, not ours.
Conan
conan

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 05:21:57 PM »

This would be such a snoozefest.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 05:24:52 PM »

Now Senator Casey on Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? would be something to see.

This in no way shape or form makes up for the snub of his father 16 years ago.  Casey Jr doesn't hold a candle to Senior.
Monty
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 09:56:23 AM »

Having Webb speak after being introduced by "Macaca" would be a nice touch.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 07:14:01 PM »

Casey Jr doesn't hold a candle to Senior.

If only people would see the light...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2008, 12:05:19 AM »

Looks like Casey is speaking about the "economy" on Tuesday night - http://www.demconvention.com/the-2008-convention-tuesday-august-26th-renewing-america-s-promise/
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies