Who do you support in the Georgia/Russia conflict?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:10:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Who do you support in the Georgia/Russia conflict?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: Who do you support in the Georgia/Russia conflict?
Georgia

Russia

Neither

Have yet to decide

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Who do you support in the Georgia/Russia conflict?  (Read 13413 times)
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2008, 07:55:01 PM »

And according to the U.S., Taiwan does not exist and is a part of China. We don't have even officially have diplomatic relations with them. Now are you going to tell me Taiwan doesn't exist?

I don't deal with de jure. I deal with de facto.

Somaliland, Transnistria, Nagorno-Karabakh, Abkhazia and South Ossetia, Turkish Cyprus, Taiwan, the Sahrawi Arab Republic, Kosovo are all independent countries. If they weren't, their leaderships would not exist and those regions would be controlled by the central governments of Somalia, Moldova, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Cyprus, China, Morocco, and Serbia. But they're not. If the Serbian government does not control the land of Kosovo, then how can someone think Kosovo is a part of Serbia?
My point is that your analogy is idiotic. Cuba bombing Miami is like Georgia bombing Sochi, i.e . unquestionably Russian territory. If Florida was internationally recognized as part of Cuba, but de facto independent with US peacekeepers, and some Floridian rebel group attacks Cuban soil, and Cuba retaliates by bombing Miami, that'd be a more apt analogy.

You and I are just going to disagree on this. I've already stated my case. When the Confederacy broke away from the Union in the 1860s, no foreign power ever recognized them. It didn't change the fact it was an independent country until the Union forcefully retook it though in 1865.
Yeah, except South Ossetia is basically under the control of Moscow, unlike the CSA.

Why should Saakashvili aid Putin and Medvedev then?
Again, you ignore my point. Putin & co. would have found an excuse to invade Georgia whatever Saakashvili did. Even if he hadn't retaliated against South Ossetia and allowed them to continue attacking Georgian villages, it's only a matter of time before Russia found another excuse. What do you propose Saakashvili do, stop governing to avoid any potential cause for the Russians to invade?

Then you agree that nothing Georgia did or did not do could've saved it from the imminent Russian invasion.

They could've done the same option Cuba has: don't piss off the bigger, larger neighbor that doesn't like you too much.
So Georgia should've even try to act independently of Russia. It shouldn't try to pursue its own foreign policy goals. It should forget about NATO, relinquish its friendship with the USA, and shouldn't even had taken Adjara back. Maybe it shouldn't even hold democratic elections, lest a pro-Western leader who isn't going to bow to Russia be elected.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2008, 09:22:16 PM »

I support Georgia, of course.  Even if they have "provoked" the Russians as some posit, clearly that have forgotten their indignation over larger, imperial powers attempting to involve themselves in the affairs of much smaller countries... or perhaps that concern is only expressed when the "aggressor" in the United States.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2008, 09:41:37 PM »

Saakashvili is an idiot.  Putin is taking advantage of this to do to Georgia what has was done to Serbia over Kosovo.  The ball is now in Putin's court, and unless he proves to also be an idiot, he'll be happy to just take advantage of the opportunity to welcome Abkahzia and South Ossetia into the Russian Federation,
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2008, 09:50:59 PM »

I'm sorry, but it hard for a true American to support Russia. Even if Russia is right, which I don't think they are. Russia is just trying to show the USA and NATO that Georgia is there county and we can't have them part of NATO. Russia is just trying to show its power by beating up on a small country, much like a big bully beating up a little kid to show other people he is strong.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2008, 09:58:30 PM »

Georgia, but I don't think we should get involved other than in negotiations.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2008, 10:13:20 PM »

Considering how much I detest Russia, Georgia. I'd even support Communist China if a war were ever fought between the two.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2008, 10:15:43 PM »

I'm sorry, but it hard for a true American to support Russia. Even if Russia is right, which I don't think they are. Russia is just trying to show the USA and NATO that Georgia is there county and we can't have them part of NATO. Russia is just trying to show its power by beating up on a small country, much like a big bully beating up a little kid to show other people he is strong.

No, more like a big kid beating up a medium-sized kid because that kid is beating a bunch of little kids who want to be the friend of the big kid.

And what's this ѕhit about "true Americans"?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2008, 10:16:47 PM »

Considering how much I detest Russia, Georgia. I'd even support Communist China if a war were ever fought between the two.

That would be the ultimate decision for me, given how much I hate both of those countries Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2008, 10:31:36 PM »

That would be the ultimate decision for me, given how much I hate both of those countries Tongue

Same here. It makes it even harder that despite how much I hate both countries, I have lots of friends who were born in Russia & lots of friends who were born in China. Sad
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2008, 11:21:44 PM »

No, more like a big kid beating up a medium-sized kid because that kid is beating a bunch of little kids who want to be the friend of the big kid.

Russia hate America, Russia isn't a free country at all, look at their last election.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2008, 02:47:41 AM »

Russia hate America, Russia isn't a free country at all, look at their last election.

Neither is Saudi Arabia...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2008, 04:27:56 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2008, 04:34:49 AM by dead0man »

I dare anyone to dispute that Mikheil Saakashvili and co. are complete idiots, regardless of his or her "affinity".

De facto taking on the Russians head-on? What was going through their heads?!?
Right.  Because it would be better for them in long run if they just bent over every time Russia rattles a sabre. Roll Eyes
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2008, 04:30:43 AM »

I dare anyone to dispute that Mikheil Saakashvili and co. are complete idiots, regardless of his or her "affinity".

De facto taking on the Russians head-on? What was going through their heads?!?
Right.  Because it would be better for them in long run if the just bent over every time Russia rattles a sabre. Roll Eyes

Of course, it just goes to show what happens to countries that don't let the Ruskies bully them into submission; the Ruskies just bully them anyway. Wink
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2008, 06:13:37 AM »

I support Georgia, definitely.

Since I was younger, a lot of my beliefs have changed. But I still don't trust Russia.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2008, 08:30:25 AM »

The people of a democratic system have the power of opinion, the way governments react to situations will always take into affect that opinion.

Sure the way governments react to situations will always take into affect the opinion of the population, but I think that this works for every regime, not only democracy, and it seems that it is so true that all dictatorships used and uses something you must know which is...propaganda. Because every regime know that the opinion of the population has the power and so that it is the population which, at the end, can always have the power on the regime.

Something which goes in the sense of what I said before. That's always the population which is responsible of what is its regime, and if the regime succeed in manipulating the population that's because at one time the population has let it done...
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2008, 08:33:46 AM »

Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, the UAE, Yemen, Egypt, Tunisia and so forth aren't free countries either.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2008, 09:21:16 AM »

Georgia is a sovereign nation with set borders...but perhaps those boprders shouldn't include South Ossetia. I'm noty yet sure, but i'm always reluctant to support Russia in the caucusus.
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2008, 11:03:53 AM »

A question to those who wholeheartedly support Georgia: what should happen to South Ossetia?

A democratic (unlike now) autonomous government.

If you want it to be an autonomous government, then why are you supporting Georgia?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2008, 11:15:26 AM »

A question to those who wholeheartedly support Georgia: what should happen to South Ossetia?

If you want it to be an autonomous government, then why are you supporting Georgia?

I should support Russia?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2008, 11:28:54 AM »

This makes me sick. Georgia is a key role that that area for the United States. I mean they had 2,000 people helping us in Iraq. But we haven't done anything to help them out yet. We need this country to be part of NATO. This is a type of war we need to fight, not the on in Iraq. God this is making me mad.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2008, 11:30:11 AM »

You can't seriously think that another World War would be a good thing...
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2008, 11:32:04 AM »

This makes me sick. Georgia is a key role that that area for the United States. I mean they had 2,000 people helping us in Iraq. But we haven't done anything to help them out yet. We need this country to be part of NATO. This is a type of war we need to fight, not the on in Iraq. God this is making me mad.

yeah lets go start a world war!1!!!
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2008, 11:35:05 AM »

We can't let Russia take over Georgia, the are to much of a help to the US in that area. I mean look at where they are at. Iraq and Iran are right below them. They were helping us in Iraq, we owe them.
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2008, 11:36:13 AM »

I should support Russia?

You don't have to support anyone. Just cynically curse the world and its wicked ways.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2008, 11:38:22 AM »

We can't let Russia take over Georgia, the are to much of a help to the US in that area. I mean look at where they are at. Iraq and Iran are right below them. They were helping us in Iraq, we owe them.

There are other ways to try stopping the Russkis from taking over Georgia. Like diplomacy, you know. Mediation. Not starting another world war.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies