Who do you support in the Georgia/Russia conflict?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:03:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Who do you support in the Georgia/Russia conflict?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: Who do you support in the Georgia/Russia conflict?
Georgia

Russia

Neither

Have yet to decide

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Who do you support in the Georgia/Russia conflict?  (Read 13403 times)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2008, 11:43:20 AM »

This makes me sick. Georgia is a key role that that area for the United States. I mean they had 2,000 people helping us in Iraq. But we haven't done anything to help them out yet. We need this country to be part of NATO. This is a type of war we need to fight, not the on in Iraq. God this is making me mad.

yeah lets go start a world war!1!!!

We can't let Russia take over Georgia, the are to much of a help to the US in that area. I mean look at where they are at. Iraq and Iran are right below them. They were helping us in Iraq, we owe them.

There are other ways to try stopping the Russkis from taking over Georgia. Like diplomacy, you know. Mediation. Not starting another world war.

Of course, but I don't think Russia want to sit down and talk about it. I mean Georgia has already said the want to stop the fighting and talk about it. Russia isn't going to stop until they get what they want, to take over Georgia. Just like Iraq and Gulf war.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2008, 11:44:33 AM »

Considering how much I detest Russia, Georgia. I'd even support Communist China if a war were ever fought between the two.

That would be the ultimate decision for me, given how much I hate both of those countries Tongue

China > Russia >>>>>>>> Israel
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2008, 11:50:28 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2008, 11:56:56 AM by Josh22 »

Guys, look at this at a way bigger picture. Russia, dosen't like America, Iran doens't like America. How do you get these two counties boards to touch or come so to it so Russia can give nukes to Iran. Oh well look at here, Georgia, we take them over and Russia and Iran are very close to touching.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2008, 11:54:37 AM »

I support Georgia. Russia is trying to destroy or capture the one main oil pipeline that it doesn't already control, among other reasons for its invasion.

I was stunned to find myself in agreement with Bush and Cheney's statements on the war yesterday. I especially liked Cheney's line that "this aggression cannot go unanswered."

If we don't stand up for Georgia, when will NATO defend its members and friends? They helped us in Iraq, they wanted to have good relations with the West, and now they are being punished for it by the regional bully (more like pitbull these days).

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2008, 12:40:48 PM »

Guys, look at this at a way bigger picture. Russia, dosen't like America, Iran doens't like America. How do you get these two counties boards to touch or come so to it so Russia can give nukes to Iran. Oh well look at here, Georgia, we take them over and Russia and Iran are very close to touching.

Ever heard of the Caspian Sea?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2008, 12:42:15 PM »

Ah, the geometer's approach to strategy, aka the recipe for incoherence and eventual disaster.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2008, 12:42:54 PM »

Considering how much I detest Russia, Georgia. I'd even support Communist China if a war were ever fought between the two.

That would be the ultimate decision for me, given how much I hate both of those countries Tongue

China > Russia >>>>>>>> Israel

I agree.

You don't need a border to trade nukes. You just need nukes.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2008, 12:48:59 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2008, 01:00:25 PM by 我寻找感觉和方向 »

Right. You should open an atlas (the book) before writing, or try on the net there are lot of possibilities to see maps...

Euh, do you think nukes are toys we share with someone just because we don't like an other one?!? Here are some nukes, but please, don't use it against me...

Euh, we're effectively speaking about nukes...
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2008, 01:39:27 PM »

It looks like if we don't intervene soon we may not have the chance. If Gori has fallen, the Russians are probably only about 36 hours from an attack on Tblisi. Once the capital falls of course, the Russians will have no cover story any more but they won't particularly need one. I am sure of course, that Dana Perino can explain how very disappointed in them she is.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2008, 01:46:04 PM »

Right. You should open an atlas (the book) before writing, or try on the net there are lot of possibilities to see maps...

Euh, do you think nukes are toys we share with someone just because we don't like an other one?!? Here are some nukes, but please, don't use it against me...

Yes, but I not saying that is why Russia is trying to take over Georgia. Its just something to keep in mind.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2008, 02:17:16 PM »

The Ossetian people. And thus no one who is, directly or indirectly, a party to the conflict (so, not the governments of South Ossetia, Georgia, Abkhazia, Russia, or the United States of America... I'm sure I'm forgetting to list some people.)
Couldn't have said it better (hence the signature). Though I admit that I'm less sympathetic to the Georgian government than the Georgian one.
I upped the ante by flying the Ossetian flag (the same on either side of the Caucasus) alongside the old, separatist Chechen flag.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2008, 02:18:28 PM »

Yes, but I not saying that is why Russia is trying to take over Georgia. Its just something to keep in mind.

And me, if I think that Russians and Iranians can follow certain common ways to bother, or more, US/West/NATO, I think that this donation of nukes between the 2 countries is not to keep in mind, in order to make some place in your mind for other things which could be really more probable...
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2008, 02:19:49 PM »

I weakly support Georgia. Mostly due to the precedent this would set if Russia does get all it wants in this conflict.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2008, 02:29:06 PM »

I weakly support Georgia. Mostly due to the precedent this would set if Russia does get all it wants in this conflict.
All Russia wants? Which is? According to most analysts it's the status quo. Although a more amenable (but, preferably, still remotely utilizable as bugbear - think the Shevardnadze days) Kartvelian government would no doubt be interesting, and appetites may be whetted by events.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2008, 02:46:36 PM »

All Russia wants? Which is? According to most analysts it's the status quo. Although a more amenable (but, preferably, still remotely utilizable as bugbear - think the Shevardnadze days) Kartvelian government would no doubt be interesting, and appetites may be whetted by events.

Russia has an ego issue, isn't that obvious? Subduing Georgia would go some way is satisfying their hunger... for a while. 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2008, 02:48:48 PM »

Russia has an ego issue, isn't that obvious? Subduing Georgia would go some way is satisfying their hunger... for a while. 

No. They need to annex Alaska to staify their hunger.

[/CARL]
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2008, 02:53:57 PM »

Russia has a paranoia issue. America has an ego issue. Learn to tell your countries apart, buster. Tongue (Georgia has both... and perhaps rather more grounds for either... the ego issue reduced to scale, of course)
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2008, 03:00:54 PM »

Russia has a paranoia issue. America has an ego issue. Learn to tell your countries apart, buster. Tongue (Georgia has both... and perhaps rather more grounds for either... the ego issue reduced to scale, of course)

Fair enough. Smiley However, don't underestimate how far Russia may go to prove that "they've still got it." They were left totally emasculated after the events in the 90's and Putin sees himself as the all mighty masculine Russian. A lethal combination. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2008, 03:54:32 PM »

Finally, someone who understands.

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2008, 04:25:08 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2008, 04:27:46 PM by Contrary Hypothesis® »

lol @ Josh wanting us to go to war with Russia over a tiny province in a tiny nation like Georgia.

The only way I see any strong U.S., UN, or NATO involvement is if the Russians completely annex Georgia and decide "that felt good, it's time we take back all the Soviet states."  Although such an act probably wouldn't require much intervention as the Russian people would probably be so against Putin in that situation that there'd be a revolution.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2008, 04:29:10 PM »

lol @ Josh wanting us to go to war with Russia over a tiny province in a tiny nation like Georgia.

The only way I see any strong U.S., UN, or NATO involvement is if the Russians completely annex Georgia and decide "that felt good, it's time we take back all the Soviet states."  Although such an act probably wouldn't require much intervention as the Russian people would probably be so against Putin in that situation that there'd be a revolution.

The last sentence is ironical...?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2008, 04:35:39 PM »

Indeed it is.

Revolutions following misguided expansion attempts by power-hungry leaders are a time-honored Russian tradition.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2008, 04:44:29 PM »

Indeed it is.

Revolutions following misguided expansion attempts by power-hungry leaders are a time-honored Russian tradition.

OK, luckily it is some irony, because it would be very risky to bet on this tradition here I think...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2008, 04:57:45 PM »

Indeed it is.

OK, luckily it is some irony, because it would be very risky to bet on this tradition here I think...

As I said, it require Russia going crazy and retaking the former Soviet republics; spreading out their military and requiring NATO action (which is pretty much a given, especially if the nations who Russia goes after include NATO members Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania).

The nation's military power being spread thin like that in war could weaken Putin's power and lead to a regime change in Moscow.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2008, 05:33:01 PM »

The nation's military power being spread thin like that in war could weaken Putin's power and lead to a regime change in Moscow.

Personally, this is a bet that I wouldn't take!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies