Pelosi Flip-Flops (again!) on Allowing Drilling Vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:37:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pelosi Flip-Flops (again!) on Allowing Drilling Vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pelosi Flip-Flops (again!) on Allowing Drilling Vote  (Read 1590 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2008, 11:35:02 AM »
« edited: August 15, 2008, 03:16:44 PM by The Stranger »

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/14/MNCD12BC0J.DTL

Pelosi won't limit vote to offshore drilling

Carla Marinucci, Chronicle Political Writer

Friday, August 15, 2008

(08-14) 19:07 PDT -- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Thursday firmly rejected the idea of a House vote solely on the issue of offshore oil drilling, calling it "a hoax on the American people" backed by oil companies.

Instead, she said, she wants Congress to tackle a compromise comprehensive energy plan that would include alternative energy sources and curtailing tax breaks for oil companies.

"You want to drill? We want the royalties for the American people, and we want that to pay for renewable energy resources," the San Francisco Democrat said in an interview for KQED television's weekly news show, "This Week in Northern California." "We want to connect all that together."

Pelosi also said she supports a roll-call vote at the Democratic National Convention in Denver this month. Supporters of former presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton had been pressing to have her name put into nomination to recognize the millions of votes she received during the primaries.

Clinton and presumed nominee Barack Obama agreed to do that Thursday, but the mechanics of a roll-call vote are still to be worked out. Pelosi argued that the roll call is a tradition and would be good for the party.

And Pelosi also said she hopes U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein runs for governor of California in 2010, predicting that she would be an excellent chief executive for the state.

"She'd be great. I wanted her to run during the recall," Pelosi said of the 2003 special election. "I didn't succeed."

Still, she noted, "Sen. Feinstein is in position right now in the Senate - she's chair of the rules committee. ... It would be hard to see her walk away from that, because she's certainly a respected leader in our country."

Pelosi appeared on the show as part of a tour to promote her new book, "Know Your Power: A Message to America's Daughters."

Pelosi was heckled and interrupted later Thursday at an event at the Cowell Theater, where she was being interviewed by KQED talk show host Michael Krasny. About 100 protesters advocating impeachment of President Bush interrupted the speaker, who remained calmer than many angry listeners who shouted down the hecklers. Several people were removed, but there were no arrests.

Pelosi said she wants to end what she called the failed energy policies supported by "two oilmen in the White House," referring to President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney, former oil company executives.

"They want us to do more of the same," she said. "So they've come up with this gimmick, this hoax" that says if drilling is allowed in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and offshore, "it's going to bring down the price at the pump."

"Ten years, 2 cents," Pelosi said, arguing that 10 years would be the time needed to reap a small benefit to most Americans. "Even the president has said it isn't a quick fix. ... I can't allow a hoax to come to the floor."

But she would consider a vote on drilling "in the context of a fuller, more comprehensive energy package" that would include ending some of the oil companies' current tax breaks.

Big Oil, she said, wants to drill and "not pass their royalties to the taxpayer. They want us to subsidize the drilling."

That's why alternative energy - solar, wind, oil released from the strategic energy supply and natural gas, which is clean and abundant - should be mandated as part of the plan, she said.

Pelosi, who will be chairwoman of the Democratic National Convention, which begins Aug. 25, said she does not believe that sexism played the overriding role in the end of Clinton's campaign.

"There was sexism, but that plays a couple of ways. ... Being a woman in politics is a giant plus," she said.

"There's all kinds of analysis of how their campaign prioritized the races," she said, but added that the fact that Obama was against the Iraq war from day one "made a big difference in giving him the opportunity that he had. ... It was a factor that was important."

She noted that in her own district, she is facing a challenge from anti-war protester Cindy Sheehan.

"I'm so glad that Cindy Sheehan got the signatures" to run, because it would have been a controversy if she hadn't, Pelosi said.

But Pelosi said she is confident of her re-election, noting that she won 80 percent of the vote in the Eighth Congressional District in her last race.

She acknowledged that some progressive voters are disappointed because "they want the war to end ... and I'm with them on that," she said, but she added she is certain that Obama - whom she predicts will be the next president - will make that happen.
Pelosi on TV

The interview with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi will be shown at 9 p.m. tonight on KQED, Channel 9 in San Francisco.

E-mail Carla Marinucci at cmarinucci@sfchronicle.com.

This article appeared on page A - 6 of the San Francisco Chronicle

Keep it up, Nancy, and things may start to shape up! Cheesy
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 11:38:19 AM »

I still say we need to get rid of her and elevate Hoyer to the Speakership, he is much more representative of MY Democratic party, the New Deal Coalition, rather than the left wing foolishness that is Pelosi.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 11:59:48 AM »

What a great Congress!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 12:03:06 PM »

The Democrats in Congress are horrible.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 12:32:48 PM »

I think both parties, Republicans and Democrats, need new leadership.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 12:54:41 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2008, 12:56:32 PM by Paleontologist Conservative »

I still say we need to get rid of her and elevate Hoyer to the Speakership, he is much more representative of MY Democratic party, the New Deal Coalition, rather than the left wing foolishness that is Pelosi.
Are you kidding me?
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 12:55:20 PM »

I think 90% of incumbents need to be voted out of office, period.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 12:55:37 PM »

Are you kidding me?

Ok maybe that goes a little far, but Pelosi's ideas are out of line with my own in many areas.  Grin
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 12:57:30 PM »

Are you kidding me?

Ok maybe that goes a little far, but Pelosi's ideas are out of line with my own in many areas.  Grin
Mine too obviously but Hoyer is a hack and pretty much epitomizes what's wrong with the current party.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 12:59:18 PM »

Are you kidding me?

Mine too obviously but Hoyer is a hack and pretty much epitomizes what's wrong with the current party.

Hes my Congressman, and his views are far more like mine.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 03:12:46 PM »

The Democratic party needs steadier, more consistent leadership. I nominate the rooster.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 03:13:28 PM »

That sounds about right.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 11:29:35 PM »

Will you be voting against yours?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 12:01:58 AM »

Will you be voting against yours?

Considering his is a Democrat, I'd say that's very likely.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 12:04:12 AM »

Good.  It pisses me off when people say "we need to get rid of the incumbents....but not mine!  He's great!".  I was hoping NDN wasn't one of those.  He's one of the few red staters I actually think knows what he's talking about.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 01:17:21 AM »

If ONLY Pelosi came from a swing district...
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 10:25:06 AM »

Good.  It pisses me off when people say "we need to get rid of the incumbents....but not mine!  He's great!".  I was hoping NDN wasn't one of those.  He's one of the few red staters I actually think knows what he's talking about.
I have no love for hacks like Langevin (my district). So yes, unless the Republicans nominate someone crazy I will vote against him. If I lived in Kennedy's district I wouldn't be saying that. He's a drunken liberal jackass but at least he has principles.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies