Barack Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:21:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Barack Obama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Barack Obama  (Read 20482 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2006, 05:46:29 PM »

I like Ariail's carttons

dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2006, 08:36:20 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2006, 08:49:51 PM by dazzleman »

Actually Carter only had 4 years as Governor of Georgia, and I'd argue that his inexperience showed when he got into office.

Experience is important in being a succesful President, although I'd argue it is nearly irrelevant in terms of being a succesful candidate.

It takes a different kind of experience to be a successful candidate than it does to be a successful president, at least to some degree.  So I wouldn't really say that experience is irreleavant to getting elected.

And there is a great deal of overlap in the type of experience.  A candidate who is good at selling himself to the voters to get elected may also be good at selling his legislative program to the voters.  This type of experience won't necessarily help on the executive side, or in deriving good programs, though.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2006, 09:50:00 PM »

Obama's major problem is that he's peaking now.  If he sits in the senate for another 4 years, he won't have the momentum to win the nomination.  Add to that the fact that Democrats will (knock on wood) probably win the White House in '08.

There's no better time than now for Obama.

There's no other time than now for Obama.

That said, if Obama enters the race, barring Gore running, Obama becomes a big contender for the status of "anti-hillary."  Kerry, Biden, and Dodd at this point have no chance.

The race comes down to Richardson, Bayh, Obama, Edwards, maybe Clark, and Hillary.  One will be the nominee, and odds are one will be VP.

How it shakes out depends on what happens this November.

Democrats win back both houses, Hillary and Obama gain.

Democrats fail miserably, Bayh, Richardson and Edwards gain.

I hope Obama runs, if only to make it more dramatic Smiley

You think the Democrats are going to win the White House in 2008?
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2006, 10:30:32 PM »

Obama's major problem is that he's peaking now.  If he sits in the senate for another 4 years, he won't have the momentum to win the nomination.  Add to that the fact that Democrats will (knock on wood) probably win the White House in '08.

That said, if Obama enters the race, barring Gore running, Obama becomes a big contender for the status of "anti-hillary."  Kerry, Biden, and Dodd at this point have no chance.

The race comes down to Richardson, Bayh, Obama, Edwards, maybe Clark, and Hillary.  One will be the nominee, and odds are one will be VP.

I'd say it's 60-40 in the dems favor right now.  But who can say?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #129 on: October 26, 2006, 01:02:52 PM »

I'd say it's 60-40 in the dems favor right now.  But who can say?

At this point, given Bush's approval ratings, the Democrats have to be considered favored. However, a lot can change in two years. But looking at things as they stand now, the Democrats would have to be considered more likely than not just due to the political environment, which could just as easily get worse for the Republicans as it could get better.

I truly believe that Bush's approval ratings and the general sense of whether we are on the right track or wrong track is what will most likely decide the 2008 election, not the views or ideologies of the individual candidates. The candidates and their campaigns will make some difference, but not more than say 3-5 percentage points either way (assuming obviously that someone like Sharpton or Tancredo isn't nominated, which obviously they won't be).
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #130 on: October 26, 2006, 01:26:11 PM »

According to what the climate says, there's a big chance the Democrats will take the White House in 2008. Of course, there is always the chance that the Republicans will pull it out, but given the energy levels, and the prospect of a win, I think Dems will show up in high numbers at the polls.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2006, 04:56:26 PM »

According to what the climate says, there's a big chance the Democrats will take the White House in 2008.

One thing you should know: Never judge a Presidential race on the climate two years before the race. Perfect example would be 1994. If anything, the climate helping the Dems this time around could help strengthen the GOP for 2008.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #132 on: December 31, 2008, 03:14:46 PM »

ROFLZ @ this ... Tongue
Tyrion The Unbanned
Ogis24
United States

« Reply #133 on: December 31, 2008, 03:17:36 PM »

good catch, this is hilarious
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #134 on: December 31, 2008, 06:34:13 PM »

Reading this now it's like reading the comedy goldmine lol
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #135 on: December 31, 2008, 07:17:31 PM »

According to what the climate says, there's a big chance the Democrats will take the White House in 2008.

One thing you should know: Never judge a Presidential race on the climate two years before the race. Perfect example would be 1994. If anything, the climate helping the Dems this time around could help strengthen the GOP for 2008.

Another classic prediction from SagePhil. Tongue
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #136 on: December 31, 2008, 11:56:36 PM »

This can't be happening. I went to Yahoo this afternoon and saw "Obama considering '08 run." This guy is ridiculous. Let him run and lose.

I would've gone for this myself.

This thread just illustrates that the vast majority of armchair political analysts on here really know fuck all. Which shouldn't really come as much of a surprise.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #137 on: December 31, 2008, 11:59:20 PM »

[reads thread]

yes, a few fails here
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #138 on: January 01, 2009, 01:43:20 AM »

I Purple heart laughing at things with hindsight.  Roll Eyes

If anything, this ought to be a lesson to the Obama fanatics that things aren't always as they seem years in advance. Don't get too cocky when you laugh off Palin vs. Obama...

Another classic prediction from SagePhil. Tongue

Yeah, I was kind of right. Most of us were laughing off Obama and had McCain destroying him. Maybe you guys can knock off the arrogance and learn from our mistakes.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2009, 05:49:22 PM »

correct.  and completely unacceptable to mainstream america.

if illinois had a republican party, he wouldnt be in the senate today.

bwahaha
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #140 on: January 03, 2009, 06:01:35 PM »

Yeah, the witch comment went too far, so allow me to restate:

So, the Dems could nominate either Pantsuit Hillary Clinton, Loser TreeHugger Gore, Loser SwiftShifter Kerry...or Barack Hussein Obama! 
 ROFL!

Your raw wit and penetrating humor serves as an inspiration to us all. Thank you for your services.

I know it is hard for Dems to find humor in losing, but lose you will if you nominate any of these four.

Obama:
Barack is an Arab name.  Hussein is an Arab name.  I don't know the origin of the name Obama.  Do you think any Southern state would vote for someone named Barack?  Do you think the Jewish vote is going to go heavily to someone named Hussein?  What about the Catholic vote now that the Pope is on the Muslim hit list?  Do you think Obama is not going to be hurt from homegrown terrorism from black Muslims?  He would get KILLED in Ohio and Florida against almost any GOP potential nominee.

Kerry and Gore:
Remember, in 2000 and 2004, you Dems lost to someone who couldn’t formulate a coherent sentence.  And now you think the two losers from 2000 and 2004, Gore and Kerry, have a chance against an articulate GOP nominee in 2008?

Hillary:
The best GOP attack ad is a 30 second commercial of Hillary’s face.  Even her husband can’t stand her.  LOL!

Terrible analysis.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #141 on: January 03, 2009, 06:11:32 PM »

This can't be happening. I went to Yahoo this afternoon and saw "Obama considering '08 run." This guy is ridiculous. Let him run and lose.

Amazing!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies