This Election Is (Probably) Over
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:44:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  This Election Is (Probably) Over
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: This Election Is (Probably) Over  (Read 23548 times)
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2008, 09:39:10 PM »

Yes the masses are indeed asses.

Wow...the problem with America is that the sans-culotte are not intelligent enough to elect a classic leftist to the office of President.

...and there you have it.

We ain't smart.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2008, 10:21:07 PM »

Yes the masses are indeed asses.

Wow...the problem with America is that the sans-culotte are not intelligent enough to elect a classic leftist to the office of President.

...and there you have it.

We ain't smart.

No, more that the masses are too swayed by very small things to look at the big picture.
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2008, 10:25:54 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In other words, we ain't smart enough to see the big picture.

I got it.

We ain't smart like the liberals.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2008, 10:27:38 PM »

I got it.

No, lots of McCain voters get swayed by stupid things like gay marriage, abortion and Obama not having a flag lapel. You have to be ing kidding me if those are legitimate reasons to not support Obama.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2008, 10:29:17 PM »

I got it.

No, lots of McCain voters get swayed by stupid things like gay marriage, abortion and Obama not having a flag lapel. You have to be ing kidding me if those are legitimate reasons to not support Obama.

Why exactly is abortion a "stupid" issue? Why is it that people are not supposed to care about this issue? One's position on this issue isn't a legitimate reason to support or oppose that person?

Roll Eyes
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2008, 10:31:19 PM »

Good point, graduated bottom 1% of his class, lost 5 planes, cheated on his wife, was involved in the Keating 5 scandal. And was an absolute nobody with a father and grandfather as the first 4 star son-father pair. That is quite compelling.

Bottom 1%? Really? What a dummy.

Apparently you haven't much a clue about American history. Some of our best leaders/generals were the "bottom" of their respective classes.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2008, 10:33:01 PM »

I got it.

Why exactly is abortion a "stupid" issue? Why is it that people are not supposed to care about this issue? One's position on this issue isn't a legitimate reason to support or oppose that person?

Roll Eyes

Well, I'd argue that no matter who gets elected, the odds of anything actually changing on the issue legally are rather small. So the number of people who vote on this issue alone while barely considering any others seems out of proportion in that regard.

Otherwise it's definitely not a stupid issue (though the amount of actual disagreement between the parties is far smaller than everyone, including the parties themselves, would have you believe), just not one that actually gets much attention from politicians when it's not election season.
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2008, 10:37:02 PM »

I got it.

So...if it ain't important to a liberal, it's a stupid issue to everyone else.

We ain't smart...like the liberals.

Yet, they can't figure out how to win elections.

Go figure.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2008, 10:37:55 PM »

JSojourner---

I too share some of your fears, but if your theory was correct and people always preferred black and white thinking to nuance, Republicans would win every single time, which obviously doesn't hapen.

I do agree that Obama needs to be a bit more forceful in his attacks on McCain. He is starting to fall into the "nice guy" trap of trying to be "above" that kind of crap, which of course never works for Democrats. I say starting because there is still plenty of time for him to reverse course; hopefully he has someone in his inner circle smart enough to point this out to him.

The convention will be his big chance to show voters he's strong enough and capable enough for the job. We'll see how he does. It's definitely not over for either side at least until after the debates, though the first polls post GOP convention will be highly instructive; history suggests whoever is ahead after the second convention always wins, and I think that'll be especially likely if Obama is still in the lead (by however narrow a margin).
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2008, 10:46:10 PM »

I got it.

I don't think that is what he is saying. He is just saying that too many people get swayed by things like Obama being a possible muslim or Mccain possibly having a black baby. Most conservatives vote how they do not because they are dumb, but because of their ideology. But there are dummies on both sides of the aisle and they form a larger proportion of the population than I am comfortable with. More education is needed as always.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2008, 10:50:10 PM »

This thread has sure come a long way.

uh-oh.  I see another Torie recruit.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2008, 10:59:44 PM »

This thread has sure come a long way.

uh-oh.  I see another Torie recruit.

Maybe it is time to toss over the side the notion that one side or the other has a greater incidence of nuance cells in their brain. Just a thought.
Conan
conan

« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2008, 11:08:29 PM »

JSojourner---

I too share some of your fears, but if your theory was correct and people always preferred black and white thinking to nuance, Republicans would win every single time, which obviously doesn't hapen.

I do agree that Obama needs to be a bit more forceful in his attacks on McCain. He is starting to fall into the "nice guy" trap of trying to be "above" that kind of crap, which of course never works for Democrats. I say starting because there is still plenty of time for him to reverse course; hopefully he has someone in his inner circle smart enough to point this out to him.

The convention will be his big chance to show voters he's strong enough and capable enough for the job. We'll see how he does. It's definitely not over for either side at least until after the debates, though the first polls post GOP convention will be highly instructive; history suggests whoever is ahead after the second convention always wins, and I think that'll be especially likely if Obama is still in the lead (by however narrow a margin).
He ran against hardball politics (although he played it himself, pretty good).

It was also suggested, in the first post, that Hillary Clinton was a safer bet because she made that "have a drink with'em" criteria. However, Hillary, too, had the policywonk reputation, so I don't buy that argument.

The only way the democrats lose this election is because the public doesn't know Obama well enough and McCain's history as a soldier and maverick.
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2008, 11:23:05 PM »

I got it.

I don't think that is what he is saying. He is just saying that too many people get swayed by things like Obama being a possible muslim or Mccain possibly having a black baby. Most conservatives vote how they do not because they are dumb, but because of their ideology. But there are dummies on both sides of the aisle and they form a larger proportion of the population than I am comfortable with. More education is needed as always.

Let's begin with the obvious...or maybe not so obvious to some.

I am a pretty intelligent fellow...you don't know me, but I like to think that I am anyway.

I am intelligent enough to actually read this essay, and understand what the author is saying, without need for interpretation, but thanks anyway.

This essay, to me (and I am no right wing Conservative by any measure) is a clear insight into what is basically wrong with the liberal mentality.

This essay sets forth the idea that people are not sufficiently intelligent to pick their own government.

This...from the perspective of member of a Party that supposedly stands FOR the very same people that it now claims are not intelligent enough to elect their own President.

There is a level of smugness that permeates liberal philosophy in general, and THAT is what the people of America reject. 

This essay...a fear that McCain will win, drives the author to the conclusion that the  "masses are indeed asses" wouldn't have been written if the author didn't think that McCain being elected can only be attributed to the American people being too stupid to elect the more intelligent liberal candidate.

I can read what it said.

Democrats, the Party of the "real people" -- The DNC is featuring a selected few of what they describe as being "real people" in the Convention; a truck driver, a Mom, etc if I recall correctly, which makes me wonder whether the Democratic Party doesn't see multi-millionaire Ivy League attorneys as being "real people", and what an incredibly poor self-image that would expose to the world -- or at least the DNC's liberal wing, see themselves as better than the rest of us, and as such, more capable of making decisions for the masses, more capable of spending our money wisely, more efficient at even raising our kids.

And those are the common traits of both the liberal wing of the DNC, and the conservative wing of the GOP.

The Hell with flag pin lapels, abortion, and gay marriage...it's the wings of BOTH parties that  that give those issues undue emphasis; it's the majority of the American people who reject BOTH sides telling us that THEIR way is the only right way.

It's the majority of those of us who think that they are both insane who are rejecting them.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2008, 11:36:34 PM »

I got it.

I am a pretty intelligent fellow...you don't know me, but I like to think that I am anyway.

I am intelligent enough to actually read this essay, and understand what the author is saying, without need for interpretation, but thanks anyway.

This essay, to me (and I am no right wing Conservative by any measure) is a clear insight into what is basically wrong with the liberal mentality.

This essay sets forth the idea that people are not sufficiently intelligent to pick their own government.

This...from the perspective of member of a Party that supposedly stands FOR the very same people that it now claims are not intelligent enough to elect their own President.

There is a level of smugness that permeates liberal philosophy in general, and THAT is what the people of America reject. 

This essay...a fear that McCain will win, drives the author to the conclusion that the  "masses are indeed asses" wouldn't have been written if the author didn't think that McCain being elected can only be attributed to the American people being too stupid to elect the more intelligent liberal candidate.

I can read what it said.

Democrats, the Party of the "real people" -- The DNC is featuring a selected few of what they describe as being "real people" in the Convention; a truck driver, a Mom, etc if I recall correctly, which makes me wonder whether the Democratic Party doesn't see multi-millionaire Ivy League attorneys as being "real people", and what an incredibly poor self-image that would expose to the world -- or at least the DNC's liberal wing, see themselves as better than the rest of us, and as such, more capable of making decisions for the masses, more capable of spending our money wisely, more efficient at even raising our kids.

And those are the common traits of both the liberal wing of the DNC, and the conservative wing of the GOP.

The Hell with flag pin lapels, abortion, and gay marriage...it's the wings of BOTH parties that  that give those issues undue emphasis; it's the majority of the American people who reject BOTH sides telling us that THEIR way is the only right way.

It's the majority of those of us who think that they are both insane who are rejecting them.

Your attitude isn't good for America. You antagonize people who are trying to be alturistic. As a result of people feeling resentful of making their lives easier and people who feel responsible for helping people feel that they will be resented for doing it. This is why America is weakening. Loyalty and talking about American exceptionalism has replaced Responsibility and acting in accordance to American exceptionalism.
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2008, 11:46:30 PM »

Thanks for helping cement my point into place.

I couldn't have posted a better example to illustrate my post if I had made it up out of whole cloth.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2008, 11:47:43 PM »

I got it.

I can read what it said.

Dude you have some self-respect issues or something? Nobody has called you dumb and my response was to your response to Xahar, not the first post. I don't think anybody here is saying that Americans are too dumb to look at the issues and make a decision. The problem is that too many people do not look at the real issues and decide to vote for someone out of dumb reasons. People who would otherwise vote democrat, but are voting for Mccain because they feel Obama is a muslim is dumb. Just like people who are voting against Mccain just because he is old or doesnt' use the internet. These are not issues and nobody should make their decision to vote based on this BS. 2004 was a pretty clear cut case of that. Here we had Iraq going to hell and all people could care about was gays marrying and who they wanted to have a beer with. IMO that is pretty fu**ing dumb. Recently this has hurt democrats more, thus the bitchin by their side, but that is not to say at some point in the future it might not hurt the GOP.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2008, 11:50:51 PM »

I don't think anybody here is saying that Americans are too dumb to look at the issues and make a decision.

"The masses are asses" -JS
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2008, 11:53:01 PM »

I don't think anybody here is saying that Americans are too dumb to look at the issues and make a decision.

"The masses are asses" -JS

And the best part? This sbane guy and I were just arguing about whether the masses are asses just the other day!
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2008, 11:53:41 PM »

I nominate this for quote of the week!

No one is saying that Americans are too dumb to make a decision on the issues, what we are saying is that they are dumb enough to make dumb decisions based on dumb reasons.

Did I get it?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2008, 11:55:11 PM »

I finally read the original post, and there is nothing in it that could not be debunked by 2006.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2008, 11:55:57 PM »

I nominate this for quote of the week!

No one is saying that Americans are too dumb to make a decision on the issues, what we are saying is that they are dumb enough to make dumb decisions based on dumb reasons.

Did I get it?

People who base their vote on things like Obama being a possible muslim or Mccain being old are dumb. That is all I wanted to say. You were pretending as if we were calling all Mccain voters dumb, which is absolutely not the case.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2008, 11:56:03 PM »

I thought the initial thrust of JS's post was Manicheanism versus shades of gray. And doesn't what is dumb to subscribe to, depend on the merits of the issue, or one's subjective views on the issue?  In any event, the issue also becomes whether assuming shades of gray is a genuine point of view, or a politically protective Camelion act, of one  worried about survival, and just trying to blend in.
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2008, 11:56:33 PM »

Well, THAT was obviously wrong.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2008, 11:58:07 PM »

Glad to see another Florida freedom fighter on board. Welcome!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies