This Election Is (Probably) Over (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:48:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  This Election Is (Probably) Over (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: This Election Is (Probably) Over  (Read 23788 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:33:01 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In other words, we ain't smart enough to see the big picture.

I got it.

We ain't smart like the liberals.
No, lots of McCain voters get swayed by stupid things like gay marriage, abortion and Obama not having a flag lapel. You have to be ing kidding me if those are legitimate reasons to not support Obama.

Why exactly is abortion a "stupid" issue? Why is it that people are not supposed to care about this issue? One's position on this issue isn't a legitimate reason to support or oppose that person?

Roll Eyes

Well, I'd argue that no matter who gets elected, the odds of anything actually changing on the issue legally are rather small. So the number of people who vote on this issue alone while barely considering any others seems out of proportion in that regard.

Otherwise it's definitely not a stupid issue (though the amount of actual disagreement between the parties is far smaller than everyone, including the parties themselves, would have you believe), just not one that actually gets much attention from politicians when it's not election season.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:37:55 PM »

JSojourner---

I too share some of your fears, but if your theory was correct and people always preferred black and white thinking to nuance, Republicans would win every single time, which obviously doesn't hapen.

I do agree that Obama needs to be a bit more forceful in his attacks on McCain. He is starting to fall into the "nice guy" trap of trying to be "above" that kind of crap, which of course never works for Democrats. I say starting because there is still plenty of time for him to reverse course; hopefully he has someone in his inner circle smart enough to point this out to him.

The convention will be his big chance to show voters he's strong enough and capable enough for the job. We'll see how he does. It's definitely not over for either side at least until after the debates, though the first polls post GOP convention will be highly instructive; history suggests whoever is ahead after the second convention always wins, and I think that'll be especially likely if Obama is still in the lead (by however narrow a margin).
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 11:00:40 AM »

JSojourner, you still owe us beers. I'm not letting you forget it buddy! Wink
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 11:34:43 AM »

JSojourner, you still owe us beers. I'm not letting you forget it buddy! Wink

Whenever you guys are in Fort Wayne, the beers are on me.  Don't all come at once.  And no strip clubs....

Sounds good. I'll be sure to let you know if I'm ever in town. Smiley
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »

Iam getting the feeling that America made the wrong choice for president.

Yup, in 2000 and in 2004. 

They made the right choice in 2000, but the people's choice doesn't always win the election. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies