CNN confirms that Biden is Obama's choice for running mate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:31:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  CNN confirms that Biden is Obama's choice for running mate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: CNN confirms that Biden is Obama's choice for running mate  (Read 9313 times)
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2008, 10:56:20 AM »

Ridge is easily McCain's smartest pick.  Who will the religious conservatives vote for?  Not Obama-Biden.  Plus, though Ridge is pro-choice, he's not the most hardcore supporter of abortion rights in the GOP.  And if George H.W. Bush could suddenly "get religion" on the issue in 1980, Ridge can, too. 

Ridge is popular in Pennsylvania, well-liked by both Republicans AND Democrats.  His ties to the Bush administration are certainly not a plus -- BUT -- his getting out of that nuthouse when he did could easily be sold to the electorate as a plus.  I know my admiration for anyone who has left the Bush administration has gone up. 

Now, does he help in Ohio?  Well, he doesn't win the state for McCain, that's for sure.  But so what?  It's not so much that he helps in a given state, it's that he doesn't frighten or worry liberal Republicans, Independents and conservative Democrats...all of whom could swing one way or the other.  To that extent, you bet he helps in Ohio.

I simply don't see a down side to Tom Ridge.  And I hope McCain chooses someone else!

Its not that the Ridge pick will send social conservatives to Obama... He will send them home on election day... and Reps up and down the ticket will suffer. Especially in the South... A Ridge pick hurts Dole and Wicker the most.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2008, 11:00:14 AM »

Well, at least if he's up texting at 3:30am then he's probably going to be able to answer that 3am phone call when it comes through.

Yes, I was just thinking that.  Obama announced his running mate with a 3am phone call.  I wonder if he's subtlely trying to rub it in with the Clintons.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2008, 11:19:16 AM »

Well, at least if he's up texting at 3:30am then he's probably going to be able to answer that 3am phone call when it comes through.

Angry Three AM in the damn morning! I mean, what the hell did he wake me up that early for? He's probably like us, staying up late every night reading the Atlas forum.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2008, 11:22:52 AM »

....if Ridge guaranteed both Pennsylvania and Ohio, which he most certainly would not.

He would guarantee PA for certain. 

Roll Eyes

I strongly disagree with Super and J.J. on this one.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2008, 11:23:27 AM »

Ridge is easily McCain's smartest pick.  Who will the religious conservatives vote for?  Not Obama-Biden.  Plus, though Ridge is pro-choice, he's not the most hardcore supporter of abortion rights in the GOP.  And if George H.W. Bush could suddenly "get religion" on the issue in 1980, Ridge can, too. 

Ridge is popular in Pennsylvania, well-liked by both Republicans AND Democrats.  His ties to the Bush administration are certainly not a plus -- BUT -- his getting out of that nuthouse when he did could easily be sold to the electorate as a plus.  I know my admiration for anyone who has left the Bush administration has gone up. 

Now, does he help in Ohio?  Well, he doesn't win the state for McCain, that's for sure.  But so what?  It's not so much that he helps in a given state, it's that he doesn't frighten or worry liberal Republicans, Independents and conservative Democrats...all of whom could swing one way or the other.  To that extent, you bet he helps in Ohio.

I simply don't see a down side to Tom Ridge.  And I hope McCain chooses someone else!

Its not that the Ridge pick will send social conservatives to Obama... He will send them home on election day... and Reps up and down the ticket will suffer. Especially in the South... A Ridge pick hurts Dole and Wicker the most.

Social conservatives won't stay home whatever Ridge does.  Even if he doesn't flip on abortion rights.  
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2008, 11:31:03 AM »

Cheesy Smiley Cheesy Smiley Cheesy

He didn't pick someone other than Bayh and Biden Grin
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »

Soult, I don't think it's that we haven't read your posts...it's (at least for me) that I think you're being optimistic.

I'd be interested to see how McCain informs voters that his VP is pro-choice without annoying religious conservatives.  I'd also totally be impressed by a "not unfriendly to workers" VP taking Iowa from like Obama +5 to solid McCain.

But, whatever you guys say.  He's from your state.  I evidently do not understand the majic.

FWIW:

Quinnipiac University Poll/June 18, 2008 – page 4
Pennsylvania
Obama tops McCain 57 – 34 percent with women as men go 47 percent for McCain to 45 percent for Obama.   Obama leads 61 – 33 percent among voters 18 to 34 years old, 51 – 41 percent among voters 35 to 54 and 48 – 43 percent with voters over 55.  The Democrat inches ahead 47 – 44 percent among white voters and leads among black voters 95 – 1 percent.
Obama gets a 54 – 25 percent favorability, to 43 – 33 percent for McCain.
Nineteen percent of the people who voted for Bush in 2004 now back Obama, while 24 percent of the voters who supported Clinton in the primaries now back McCain.
McCain’s age will not affect their vote, 73 percent say, while 24 percent say they are less likely to vote for him because of his age.  Obama’s race will not affect their vote, 88 percent say.
A total of 87 percent of Pennsylvania likely voters say the vice presidential candidate is “very important” or “somewhat” important in their November vote.   But looking at some choices, voters say:
•   25 – 16 percent that they would be less likely to vote Democratic if Gov. Ed Rendell is on the ticket, while 56 percent say it won’t make a difference;
•   Split 18 – 18 percent on whether they would be more likely to vote for McCain if he is
running with Tom Ridge, while 62 percent say it doesn’t make a difference.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »

Ugh.............my stomach..................... (-_- )

I didn't think you'd find him worse than Bayh. Eh.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2008, 01:45:02 PM »

http://thepage.time.com/2008/08/23/springfield-usa-2/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Weren't there some people here way back on Monday or Tuesday saying "There's no way Obama hasn't already told the person he's picking."?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2008, 01:47:58 PM »

Social conservatives won't stay home whatever Ridge does.  Even if he doesn't flip on abortion rights. 

I think that this is correct.  Ridge further is nuanced on abortion, as is the American electorate. 

On Ohio, it's exposure in those eastern media markets, Youngstown, Akron, and to a lesser extent, Cleveland.  Now, Ridge alone cannot carry Ohio, but he can increase the vote totals, kind of like, "McCain and the guy you know."
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #135 on: August 23, 2008, 05:29:18 PM »

Social conservatives won't stay home whatever Ridge does.  Even if he doesn't flip on abortion rights. 

I think that this is correct.  Ridge further is nuanced on abortion, as is the American electorate. 

On Ohio, it's exposure in those eastern media markets, Youngstown, Akron, and to a lesser extent, Cleveland.  Now, Ridge alone cannot carry Ohio, but he can increase the vote totals, kind of like, "McCain and the guy you know."

Yep.  Right on the mark, as usual, JJ.

I'll be voting for Obama-Biden.  But I have to say, a McCain-Ridge ticket would be a lot more appealing to me than a lot of others.  Ridge is a great guy.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2008, 12:41:44 AM »

Here is the timeline:

http://thepage.time.com/the-tick-tock-of-the-biden-pick/

I guess that's quasi-confirmation that the short list was Bayh, Biden, Kaine, and Sebelius.  I guess a few others were vetted, like Chet Edwards, but didn't make it into the short list.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2008, 01:00:41 AM »

Any chance you could dig this poll up, Chris?

I know at least one was internal.  The others are likely lost to history, I'll look.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2008, 01:04:05 AM »

And don't forget... this also sets Ridge up as the parties standard bearer in 2012 if McCain wins (he would be 66).

I'm confused, are you now arguing for or against Ridge? Wink

I'm not jazzed about Ridge as President.

If he delivers Pennsylvania and the McCain campaign has polls showing he delivers Pennsykvania, then there's really no discussion.  Ridge must be the pick.  But if he doesn't clearly deliver Pennsylvania he shouldn't be on the shortlist because I don't see anything else about him that recommends him.

Well, what I was referring to is that the Ridge base will be extra energized over that prospect.

And I am 99% certain that Ridge delivers PA with minimal effort by the McCain camp.  And he helps out McCain were he is likely to be weakest in Ohio... the Northeast.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2008, 01:54:12 AM »

And I am 99% certain that Ridge delivers PA with minimal effort by the McCain camp. 

With minimal effort? Dude, come on. I think we're winning here with or without Ridge but to think that it would take little work with Ridge is just fantasy.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2008, 02:00:58 AM »

And don't forget... this also sets Ridge up as the parties standard bearer in 2012 if McCain wins (he would be 66).

I'm confused, are you now arguing for or against Ridge? Wink

I'm not jazzed about Ridge as President.

If he delivers Pennsylvania and the McCain campaign has polls showing he delivers Pennsykvania, then there's really no discussion.  Ridge must be the pick.  But if he doesn't clearly deliver Pennsylvania he shouldn't be on the shortlist because I don't see anything else about him that recommends him.

Well, what I was referring to is that the Ridge base will be extra energized over that prospect.

And I am 99% certain that Ridge delivers PA with minimal effort by the McCain camp.  And he helps out McCain were he is likely to be weakest in Ohio... the Northeast.
What makes you think this? This is a very absurd assumption, Ridge would have to make a large impact on 150,000 voters choices for him to flip the state in a 50-50 election. Vice-presidential candidates don't even have close to that sort of a pull.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2008, 12:20:50 PM »

He's more on the background of the selection process:

link

While Bayh, Biden, Kaine, and Sebelius were the four finalists, Dodd and Richardson also apparently received a close look.  Even until the end, Obama staff were prepping arrangements to roll out any of the four finalists:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies