Is NC senate race going to turn out like VA in 2006?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:52:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is NC senate race going to turn out like VA in 2006?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is NC senate race going to turn out like VA in 2006?  (Read 3543 times)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2008, 08:46:29 AM »

In 2006 the Allen was ahead like Dole, then the closer the election got, the closer the race became. In the end Webb beat Allen by .39%. Could NC turn out just like VA did in 2006? 
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 08:57:35 AM »

Not unless Dole makes a racist comment then is revealed to have a history of racist comments.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 10:11:04 AM »

Wake me when Hagen starts polling regularly above 45%, ok?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 10:37:01 AM »

You do realize that George Allen lost because he blasted the fact he was Jewish, called an opposing intern a "macaca", held stock in a company that made abortion pills, and a bunch of other gaffes.

The answer is NO
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 10:39:58 AM »

When Hagan starts getting (even close) to a majority of the vote, we'll talk.  I expect it to be Dole by 5-7 points.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 11:01:02 AM »

It's tempting to look at North Carolina, Minnesota, Mississippi and even a few other states where the R incumbent isn't polling above 50 to get excited.  But these things usually level off.  I expect Republicans to hold all the close ones, while losing New Hampshire, Virginia, New Mexico, Colorado, and Alaska.  They'll hold Louisiana and South Dakota, while Republicans will hold North Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky, Texas, Mississippi, Maine and Oregon.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 12:36:41 PM »

Well, I don't think Webb had cracked 45 percent at this point two years ago either, but obviously Dole is no Allen.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 12:41:26 PM »

Well, I don't think Webb had cracked 45 percent at this point two years ago either, but obviously Dole is no Allen.

Webb had also just begun to be competitive as Allen had just said Macaca at this point.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 12:42:10 PM »

He had in an 8-18 Survey USA (48-45 Allen). A few days earlier a Rasmussen had it at 47-42.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »

No.  Dole is no Allen; Allen lost because of a long string of gaffes, and Dole won't make those same mistakes.  Plus, NC isn't as Democratic as Virginia is, yet.`
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 12:47:24 PM »

Dole isn't an Allen but she will try to screw this up!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 12:53:18 PM »

Dole isn't an Allen but she will try to screw this up!

Dole is a mole working for the Democrats. That explains her inexplicable "strategy" in 2006. Tongue
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 12:58:16 PM »

No.  Dole is no Allen; Allen lost because of a long string of gaffes, and Dole won't make those same mistakes.  Plus, NC isn't as Democratic as Virginia is, yet.`

VA is more Democratic the NC at the national level, but at the local level NC is more Democratic.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 01:01:14 PM »

It almost happened in Kentucky in 2004, too.

Of course that's no guarantee of another repeat. And it wouldn't have to be NC, either. (Fingers crossed for that ass Cornyn to screw up everything he can between now and election day)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 01:06:23 PM »

VA is more Democratic the NC at the national level, but at the local level NC is more Democratic.

Fortunately for Dole that Senate races are federal in that case. Wink
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 01:07:40 PM »

Of course that's no guarantee of another repeat. And it wouldn't have to be NC, either. (Fingers crossed for that ass Cornyn to screw up everything he can between now and election day)

Only problem is that North Carolina is not Kentucky.  Doesn't mean that it can't happen, but Bunning has always been a weaker candidate in reality than he appears on paper (kind of the opposite of McConnell).  Who knows about Dole?

And Texas certainly isn't Kentucky.  Smiley  Besides, Noriega has to get money to be able to run a campaign first and foremost. 
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 01:11:02 PM »

Fortunately for Dole that Senate races are federal in that case. Wink

I know Tongue...  I just don't think Dole will be able to keep up, money wise with the DSCC + what Hagan gets. Also Dole will not get the black voters like she needs to keep Hagan down in the polls. And as long as Hagan stayes with in 5% of Dole the DSCC will give Hagan money. Unlike the RNC who are trying to states like CO, MN, OR, ME, LA ect close.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 01:15:23 PM »

Only problem is that North Carolina is not Kentucky.  Doesn't mean that it can't happen, but Bunning has always been a weaker candidate in reality than he appears on paper (kind of the opposite of McConnell).  Who knows about Dole?

And Texas certainly isn't Kentucky.  Smiley  Besides, Noriega has to get money to be able to run a campaign first and foremost. 
Did Mongiardo have money?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 01:20:55 PM »

Bunning raised/spent about $6.5 million.  Mongiardo raised/spent about $2.9 million.

At present, Cornyn has raised about $16.4 million, with about $9.4 million CoH.  Noriega has raised about $2.4 million, with about $900K CoH.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 01:22:55 PM »

Bunning raised/spent about $6.5 million.  Mongiardo raised/spent about $2.9 million.

At present, Cornyn has raised about $16.4 million, with about $9.4 million CoH.  Noriega has raised about $2.4 million, with about $900K CoH.
Okay, so the answer is "yes". Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 01:24:39 PM »

I know, I know.  But I thought a detailed description of both situations might help a bit.  Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 01:25:59 PM »

I know, I know.  But I thought a detailed description of both situations might help a bit.  Smiley
Yeah, it did. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 04:24:35 AM »

Lewis, your new screen name reminds me of a fellow who used to post on the 2008 boards ... I can't remember his name, but his posts were full of gloom and doom and about how all the presidential candidates were awful.

And then there was his priceless sig (paraphrased): "We are all doomed.  The only hope I have is  that the rest of my life is as painless as possible."

Sorry to go off topic there.  As for the NC Senate race, lol.
It's short for "Let's Give Up and Listen to Shitty Bands", which is from a song but which the Forum Censor won't let me use.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 05:13:10 PM »

Its going to be closer than most people though a feew months ago, as of now I will say Dole by 3 or so, but Dole could blow it.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 04:12:07 AM »

No, Hagan will win by a significantly larger margin.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies