I may find out if Pawlenty is the running mate today... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:44:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  I may find out if Pawlenty is the running mate today... (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I may find out if Pawlenty is the running mate today...  (Read 26327 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: August 24, 2008, 01:00:47 PM »

He's going to be at Philadelphia Republican City Committee's Annual Clambake today. It's the one big event that all the major city and statewide candidates attend each year. I believe Bush showed up in 2000 (I didn't start going until 2004). I know Chris Matthews attended it that year. McCain actually showed up at Cannstatter's (the German-American club about five minutes up the street from me where the event is always held) in 2004 a week before the election for a rally.

I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze the answer out of him. Oh, I'll also tell him you said hello, BRTD.  Wink

http://www.northeasttimes.com/2008/0821/campaign.html
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 01:06:25 PM »

"Well, totally off the record, Phil, I've been chosen."

It'll happen.  Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 01:21:45 PM »

"Only if you promise not to tell Uncle Tony."

LOL

Well, we know Pawlenty has that rock star appeal. Smartass.  Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 01:34:27 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, we know Pawlenty has that rock star appeal. Smartass.  Tongue

I meant exciting for you and was being quite sincere.

[/quote]

Well, thank you.  Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 02:05:25 PM »

Ugh. It looks like it's going to rain and the clambake is an outdoor event.  Sad   They set up a real gigantic tent but it won't be the same. Lower turnout means Pawlenty might decide to skip the event.  Sad
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 09:10:24 PM »

So Pawlenty showed up surprisingly close to the time we were expecting. My friend and I were two of the first people to greet him as he got out of his van. My friend is close to one of the photographers from one of our local newspapers so she told him to get next to him. She and a photographer snapped a few pictures that may very well be in the next edition of some of the papers. I was in the background for a few.

My friend then introduced me to Pawlenty. I chatted with him and a few more pictures were taken. Pawlenty is such a nice guy. He goes beyond the "would you have a beer with him?" factor. I know it's going to sound really corny but he's very soft spoken and engaging. It was just a "Oh, yeah. That's nice" to everything you said to him. My friend told him about my job and the Governor actually followed up on it, asking me what I do exactly and such. I wished him the best of luck and told him we were "hoping" for him (to be the running mate).

So, basically, I obviously don't actually know the guy but if he's anything like what he appears to be, he's probably a really awesome guy. Anyway, here's my picture...

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 09:14:46 PM »

I must add that he was very well received, too. He was surrounded by a big crowd at every moment.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 09:26:50 PM »

Nice story, Phil.  I just hope you don't cry in the shower when Ridge is picked.

I'm actually starting to not care if it's Ridge. I never really minded. I just don't think it's that wise and could cause some problems. Oh well.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 10:10:45 PM »

By the way, the local news just showed an interview with Pawlenty. He's looking like the running mate...  Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 11:00:30 PM »

By the way, the local news just showed an interview with Pawlenty. He's looking like the running mate...  Wink

He looks like a sure loss.  I don't care how nice he is.  McCain has invested way too much into hammering Obama for inexperience to then turn to someone who has none.  It would be suicide to do that now.

Pawlenty has no experience? Ok, right...

Roll Eyes
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 11:04:10 PM »

I'll cry if he gets obliterated after the VP deabtes.

Not really, but I'll be upset.

I'm sure many people cried when Quayle got "obliterated" against Bentsen.

I'm sure they cried again on Election night, too. Tears of joy, that is. If Bush could survive Quayle, McCain can survive Pawlenty. Enough already.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 11:13:02 PM »

Too bad that this year we aren't coming off of an extremely popular Republican president, who won by landslide proportions.

Bush was a shoo in.  McCain isn't.

The GOP wasn't as popular in 1988 as people like to believe. Neither was Reagan.

Not nearly enough to avoid backlash against McCain if he is picked.

And how is Ridge much better? They had the same amount of time as Governor. Ridge does have the advantage of serving in the House during the 1980s and early 1990s but is that really going to make a difference?

Using Ridge's time as head of Homeland Security as proof of "good experience" is a huge risk. He wasn't seen as a great director and is mainly remembered by the public as a joke with a color chart.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 11:47:44 PM »

Ridge was both an excellent student and a local start of high school athletics.  Tim Pawlenty never made it past JV on his high school hockey team.

Wow.

Ok.

Uh...so because Pawlenty didn't serve in Vietnam, we can mock him?

I acknowledged that.

Pawlenty ran against an apparently very popular statewide elected official who was supposed to beat Pawlenty in a terrible GOP year. Ridge ran against...Ivan Itkin. Really terrible comparisons here, my friend. Terrible.

LOL  

Oh darn! Roll Eyes

Uh...wow.

Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 12:00:59 AM »

And if you think that there aren't people who will be put off by the fact that Pawlenty left the Church, then you are nuts... "Oh look, the Democrats have a real Catholic on their ticket, why weren't we good enough for Pawlenty?"

"The Democrats have a real Catholic on their ticket."

Wow. I'll stop there.

Yay! Ridge won in a landslide in a more Republican state than Minnesota! Congrats!  Roll Eyes

By the way, 1998 was not a bad year compared to 2006.

Wrong.

Right, a Pro Choice candidate is less damaging than a guy who isn't as much of an accomplished athlete than Ridge when he was in high school!  Roll Eyes
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 12:27:09 AM »

1) Phil, you are being extremely naive if you don't think there will be Catholics, especially older ones, who see it that way.  When a guy starts out a Methodist and goes Baptist, who cares.  Works a bit differently for us.

Ok but you're being extremely naive if you think that that will have a major impact.

But, again, it doesn't compare to Minnesota in 2006.

Uh...only person in PA? Ok so now you and J.J. count for all of PA? Dude, you're seriously losing it.

We don't need any more problems, Super. And enough with this BS about Ridge being someone with a "real record."

And after people here about his inexperience, that's when groups like Catholic Answers take to the street and tell everyone on their mailing list that Pawlenty has renounced the Catholic Church, which is all the little ladies at the Rosary and Alter Societies will talk about.  And that's when McCain loses the Catholic vote, and PA, Ohio, Michigan and Florida with it.

Almost half of Catholic voters support some abortion rights... hardly any support renunciation of the faith.

It's called conversion, Super. They'll get over it if they're that committed to the issues that social conservatives care about.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 12:46:02 AM »

Too bad that this year we aren't coming off of an extremely popular Republican president, who won by landslide proportions.

Bush was a shoo in.  McCain isn't.

The GOP wasn't as popular in 1988 as people like to believe. Neither was Reagan.

How old were you in 1988? Two? Or weren't you even born?

Were you alive in the 1860s? If not, how do you know that Abraham Lincoln was hated in the south?

You definitely just produced the worst argument of this thread. Congrats.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 12:53:37 AM »

I disagree that Reagan was unpopular, but please correct me if I'm twisting your words.

He wasn't as popular towards the end of his time in office.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 01:02:37 AM »

Meanwhile, no one is going to vote for us because Pawlenty skipped Catechism to bang the cheerleader.

Dude, get a grip.

First of all, stop comparing PA to MN for a Gubernatorial race especially in 2006. Secondly, Pawlenty received 47%, not 44%.

Good for them. That doesn't mean they are correct and you're a dope if you think "everyone" agrees with you.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 01:09:49 AM »

You've made the point well that if we were casting the Vice President in a movie, Ridge would beat Pawlenty.

Don't cite Ridge's experience asa  Congressman.  He was an awful Congressman.

For the nuclear freeze and against aid to Contras?  I'm sorry, that doesn't do it for me.

If he delivers PA I'll be happy, but I can't say I'd be excioted about Tom Ridge as Vice President or heir apparent.

Ridge has this national advantage.  Obama/Biden had been hitting McCain on being a "not the same" and too tied to the right wing.  Ridge explodes that myth.  It helps stop an avenue of attack.

It also directly ties McCain to the Bush administration. Just pointing out the obvious.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 01:18:32 AM »

Eitherway, what else do I have to compare it to?  The point is made, Ridge is far stronger, electorally, in his home state than Pawlenty.  If Pawlenty doesn't bring in his home state, or any state, then what in the Hell is the point of having him on the ticket?  For morale?  Is he gonna give us a pat on the back and a "good job"?  Ridge strengthens our hand in PA and Ohio, and might even help us soften our image and pull in some other voters... not to mention he would be a capable President... not that Pawlenty wouldn't be... but I haven't seen the evidence.

I doubt people care about Ridge that much anymore, Super.

Having a running mate isn't also about bringing in your homestate. Are you really that dense? Was Obama looking to lock up Delaware?

He satisfies conservatives and is young. Ridge has the charisma of my socks and is a problem for the base. Deal with it.

Oh, yes. I'm just shaking in fear when I see the big, bad Tom Ridge!  Roll Eyes

Plenty of people that don't think "being from PA" is enough to swing a state. Ultimately, McCain wins or loses PA on his own.

I hate to say this, Super, but I think a lot of this is about blind geographical loyalty on your part since you and Ridge are from the same area. I just don't think he's as connected with those people as he once was. I won't be distraught if the guy is McCain's pick but it is a strategic mistake.

You've made the point well that if we were casting the Vice President in a movie, Ridge would beat Pawlenty.

Don't cite Ridge's experience asa  Congressman.  He was an awful Congressman.

For the nuclear freeze and against aid to Contras?  I'm sorry, that doesn't do it for me.

If he delivers PA I'll be happy, but I can't say I'd be excioted about Tom Ridge as Vice President or heir apparent.

Ridge has this national advantage.  Obama/Biden had been hitting McCain on being a "not the same" and too tied to the right wing.  Ridge explodes that myth.  It helps stop an avenue of attack.

It also directly ties McCain to the Bush administration. Just pointing out the obvious.

That's going to be really hard to avoid regardless.  And of all the Bush Admin figures of prominence, ridge is probably the most detached.

Not with Pawlenty.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 01:23:55 AM »

To answer your last point... oh really?

Back in 2002 Pawlenty was preparing to run for the Senate, but at literally the last hour, Cheney calls Pawlenty and says, "we have this other guy for Senate, we want you to run for governor," and Pawlenty says "yes, sir." And changes his plans.  Cheney says "jump" and Pawlenty says "how high."  Is Tim Pawlenty his own man, or is he George Bush's?

I'm Barack Obama and I approve this message.

LOL

You really think that will be used in an ad, let alone be considered effective?

Ok, Super. Ok.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 01:31:11 AM »

To answer your last point... oh really?

Back in 2002 Pawlenty was preparing to run for the Senate, but at literally the last hour, Cheney calls Pawlenty and says, "we have this other guy for Senate, we want you to run for governor," and Pawlenty says "yes, sir." And changes his plans.  Cheney says "jump" and Pawlenty says "how high."  Is Tim Pawlenty his own man, or is he George Bush's?

I'm Barack Obama and I approve this message.

LOL

You really think that will be used in an ad, let alone be considered effective?

Ok, Super. Ok.

I think that, in 15 seconds, I just came up with the outline for the most devastating ad of the campaign, and if you don't think they would run it, and if you don't think it would be effective, then you don't know nothin' jack.

Most devastating ad of the campaign? Are you being serious?

Don't pat yourself on the back too hard, Super. I'm sure the Obama campaign would love to hire you for campaign ad design.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 01:47:47 AM »

I thought of that in 15 seconds.  If I thought of it, chances are 15 guys at the DNC will have a spot ready to go by the time the Convention rolls around.  And that's when I would run it.  At the time people care the most about the ticket as a whole.  Run it on all the networks, in every battle ground state right before Pawlenty is about to make his big introduction to the country.  and then if McCain tries to go after Biden in anyway, then just run it again, and again, and again... and contrast it with McCain's claims about Obama not being able to lead.  Talk about McCain's claims to be a maverick, with this guy in the co-pilot's chair?  Then wait for the VP debate and watch Biden throw Pawlenty around like a rag doll.

And people still won't care. It would be weaker than Obama's "Seven houses" ads.

You really must be joking if you think that that ad would be devastating. You are usually all gloom and doom if things don't go your way but this is just extreme.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 02:06:48 AM »

Listen, we really over analyze the affect of the running mates outside of the base vote. Ultimately, people don't care much. Obama is the one that needs to fight McCain when it comes to experience. It's not going to boil down to Biden vs. whoever our pick is.

I also don't get how Ridge is that strong when it comes to standing up to Biden. Ridge doesn't match Biden's attitude. We're probably going to "lose" the debate to Biden especially if we try to play his game. He's the master. I say we not worry about that since the debate won't be a big deal anyway.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 02:22:40 AM »

I have nothing against Pawlenty, other than I don't see what he brings, other than the negative stuff. 

I've stated this several times now: He's young and he satisfies the base. He is the choice that avoids problems.

Also, I don't know what you're getting at when you say Ridge is "personally" a better choice. Besides his connections to his home area, who is he connecting with that well? The man often seems detached. Maybe he connects with the old time Catholic crowd (despite his view on an issue that means a lot to them) but, again, I think we're getting them anyway.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies