Scottish Ward Maps - coloured by party (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:01:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Ward Maps - coloured by party (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scottish Ward Maps - coloured by party  (Read 18885 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

« on: August 28, 2008, 03:15:01 PM »
« edited: August 28, 2008, 06:45:30 PM by afleitch »

No data on them yet for the Islands councils.

The lighter colour signifies one seat (out of 3 or 4), the medium 2seat and the darkest 3 seats

First up, the Tories and the Lib Dems

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 05:05:17 PM »

Great stuff; keep 'em coming or I'll have to kill you. And I'll be able to, maybe; I'm in Scotland for a week starting Sunday (Dumfriesshire and Stewartry, mostly).

I see you've caught on to the fact I somethimes give up on these things half....

Don't worry. I've almost finished Labour and the SNP. I'll post them in the next fifteen mins or so. As for Dumfries, that sticks in my mind. I'm sure you go there every now and then IIRC?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 05:17:28 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2008, 06:21:34 PM by afleitch »

First up, the SNP. Note the use of only 2 colours here - the SNP do not have more than w councillors per ward - as parties go they have the most even representation nationwide.

The second map is of course Labour.

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 05:31:23 PM »

Will you do smaller parties (the SSP, Solidarity, Greenies, and all the other thingees)?

Yes. Independents dominate in Moray, Highlands and most of Argyll as well as a few other places. I'll make maps of them and add in the 2 elected SSP/Solidarity councillors (one who has since defected to the SNP) and the 8 Greens (5 in Glasgow, 3 in Edinburgh IIRC. Hell, the Gorbals even elected one Smiley )
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 05:49:56 PM »

Now for some comment Smiley

The Conservatives

The blue areas correspond to where the Tories are either strong or have residual presence (refer to a 1983 constituency map for example) They hold a seat in every ward in Dumfries and Galloway, South Ayrshire and hold one on all but one ward in the Borders and in Perthshire.

Notice their support (represented by the mid colour) in Ayr, Edinburgh Pentlands and much of East Renfrewshire. They have sizeable representation in Edinburgh and in East Renfrewshire. However note the situation in the are covered by the Dumfries constituency. They perform very well there but do not hold the seat. Far from it in fact.

Also, from a local viewpoint notice the modest Tory revival in southern Lanarkshire, holding seats in Hamilton, East Kilbride and even Motherwell. The ward in which I stood is in the middle of those three dots Sad where the first preference vote was pretty high but...painful wound aside. Smiley

The lone blue dot in Glasgow is Pollockshields.

The Liberal Democrats

The vote here is concentrated where they hold seats - Edinburgh West, Kincardine, Borders, North East Fife (with three seats in St Andrews) They are also heavily concentrated in Gordon - despite Salmond winning the seat here. This helps demonstrate the obvious and subsequently precarious ; it was a person vote. They are very strong in Aberdeenshire in Aberdeen itself.

They are broadly represented in the Highlands but are less represented than the Tories in most of West Central Scotland and the South West. Though they have waning support around Greenock and perform well in Paisley and suprisingly; around Rutherglen. Note the East Dumbartonshire support where they hold a seat in Westminster. Also note how the town of Dunfermline now has a sizable Lib Dem concentration (Labour have no councillors in two of the wards here) after their Westminster win and subsequent victory in 2007
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 06:00:33 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's right; lovely area.

I was there for the Guid Nychburris week a few years back. It was pretty good fun.

Just don't mention Queen of the South...or maybe do as they did get to (and drop out of) European football. Nothing to be embarrased about there and the Doonhammers behaved themselves when the town decamped to Glasgow for the Cup Final in May Smiley
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 06:04:22 PM »

Dalbeattie with a Labour councillor is a surprise, but that's PR, I guess. What's the very red area in South Lanarkshire? Looks like Biggar and so on, but I wouldn't have thought that Labour would do that well there.

Oh bllks. Hang on a minute...
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 06:22:48 PM »

The Clydesdale balls up has been sorted. Thank you Al for spotting a mistake in my own backyard :/

I'll go over them all again later and make sure there are no small mistakes elswhere.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 02:37:36 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2009, 03:53:51 PM by afleitch »

I am in the process. of making maps coloured by winning party.

There are two ways of doing this. Either you add up the party totals (Labour ran the most candidates) or you simply take the winning candidate.

There are problems with both. The SNP candidate topped the poll in most Glasgow wards because in all but one they ran only one candidate while Labour ran two or three. In the overall party map, some single party candidates who ran away with the vote (like in the Bothwell) were pipped because another party ran two candidates, one who was elected and the other, an effective paper candidate who gathered just a few hundred.

The best thing to do is read both together.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 04:13:07 PM »

Hello all,

I've been lurking here for a while but this is my first post.

I've been doing the same thing as afleitch but for each council separately.  The way I hit on is that the winning party is the one that wins the most seats in a ward.  If there is a tie for seats, then I look at the order the candidates were elected.  So for example in East Kilbride West the three seats split C-Lab-SNP, but the SNP candidate was elected first.

I like names on my maps...

I like Grin Shows what a computer literate person can do! I think your idea of displaying results - winner of most seats except where there is a tie combines both party strengths and the strong 'individual' vote in some areas.

And welcome to the forum. Nice that you've done my home turf (I stood in Hamilton North and East) There's alot of maps etc on this particular board, so it's worth doing a search as you might something interesting. I tend to concentrate on Scotland, Glasgow, Boundary Commission Reviews etc and posters like Al looks at Wales and so on.

Please do post again Smiley
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 09:36:54 AM »

Marvellous stuff Smiley

I'm paying close attention to local results in order to try and produce 2011 'notionals' for the new Holyrood seats. However these are not set in stone and many are likely to be overturned with the exception of Glasgow, Dundee and North Ayrshire. Falkirk is also not up for review, however may see some changes as the counter proposals for dealing with West Lothian (instead of crossing over to Lanarkshire) involve changes in Falkirk.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 07:16:52 PM »

For the record, removing Barrhead from the exisiting Holyrood seat would see a Tory majority of  2000-4000 Smiley
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 01:55:12 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2009, 10:00:29 AM by afleitch »

SNP win in Maryfield, taking the seat from Labour Party holds all 3 seats there and should now be able to topple the ailing Lab-Lib-Con council.

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »

Back from the dead.

Some vote share maps to come.

First up, the Conservatives

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 02:47:22 PM »

It's a lovely little bolthole Cheesy Nice to see the bit of Hamilton that I stood in a fairly decent shade of blue too.

Anyway, what's the reason for Tory strength in Kintyre?

£

and a popular councillor as tends to be the case.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 03:46:04 PM »

And now the Lib Dems. Large areas in white represent where they didn't stand.

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 06:17:51 PM »

The intensity of LibDem support in Aberdeen commuterland is a little surprising, but, yeah, I suppose it makes sense when you think about it. My eyes were also drawn to Greenock; I think they first won (in the post-war era, that is) control of the council there in the late 1960s, but the question for the future (in light of that lost deposit) is somewhat different. Actually, Perth is a surprise; had no idea that the had a good vote there.

Yes, Greenock/Inverclyde is certainly interesting. What is worth noting is that 2007 was a very bad year from the Lib Dems, falling from 42.6% of the vote (13 seats, would have been 11 under STV) to just 20.3% and 4 seats. Labour rose from 31.7% to 37.9% (a rare success in a bleak year) and the SNP leapfrogged the Lib Dems.

I'm intending to start a project to give council results back to 1974 so I'll get the Inverclyde in a decent format.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 02:52:54 PM »

And now Labour

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 06:38:19 PM »

The SNP

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies