Scottish Ward Maps - coloured by party (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:31:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Ward Maps - coloured by party (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scottish Ward Maps - coloured by party  (Read 18888 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: August 28, 2008, 04:51:48 PM »

Great stuff; keep 'em coming or I'll have to kill you. And I'll be able to, maybe; I'm in Scotland for a week starting Sunday (Dumfriesshire and Stewartry, mostly).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 05:40:56 PM »

I see you've caught on to the fact I somethimes give up on these things half....

Of course, I can hardly complain as I have a hab...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's right; lovely area.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 05:55:56 PM »

First up, the SNP. Note the use of only 2 colours here - the SNP do not have more than w councillors per ward - as parties go they have the most even representation nationwide.

Which seems oddly right in some ways; the flip side is that they have at least one seat just about everywhere.

Dalbeattie with a Labour councillor is a surprise, but that's PR, I guess. What's the very red area in South Lanarkshire? Looks like Biggar and so on, but I wouldn't have thought that Labour would do that well there.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 07:05:25 AM »

Something I did elsewhere using that polling stations data stuff; this is for Galloway & Upper Nithsdale (Dumfries will follow)...

----

Number of (aggregated) polling stations won by each candidate in some selected towns (outlying villages not included)...

Castle Douglas: Morgan 3, Fergusson 2
Newton Stewart: Fergusson 2, Morgan 1
Gatehouse of Fleet: Fergusson 2
Kirkcudbright: Fergusson 3, Morgan 1
Dalbeattie: Morgan 5
Sanquhar: Hodgson 2

Stranraer is hard to work out, but it appears to be something like: Morgan 4, Fergusson 4, Hodgson 2. To add to the confusion,one of Hodgson's two is an aggregate of several small polling stations (presumably in the centre of Stranraer, could be wrong about that of course) and had a lot more votes in it than others.

Needless to say, the rural areas largely voted for Fergusson, often overwhelmingly.

Other things to note; Richardson polled as many as 22 votes in one village near Stranraer (presumably he lives there), Cooper's vote seems to have been fairly evenly distributed.

Looking at the regional vote now we get...

Stranraer: Labour 6, SNP 2, Con 2
Newton Stewart: SNP 2, Con 1
Gatehouse of Fleet: Con 2
Kirkcudbright: SNP 3, Con 1
Castle Douglas: SNP 3, Con 2
Dalbeattie: SNP 5
Sanquhar: Labour 2

Interestingly, the Tory lead over the SNP on the regional vote here was only 1,387.

Ticket splitting data. Not all diddy parties included...

Fergusson: Con 96.7%, SNP 8.1%, Labour 12%, LDem 21.9%, UKIP 60.9%, Greens 22.4%, Oldies 46.8%, Fundies 59.2%, BNP 43%, TommyTrots 14.1%, Trots 13.6%, Stalinists 16.8%

Morgan: SNP 87.6%, Labour 10.8%, Greens 36.1%, LDem 11.8%, Con 1.5%, Oldies 25.3%, BNP 30.6%, TommyTrots 41.4%, Fundies 17.6%, Trots 37.5%, UKIP 11.6%, Stalinists 9%

Yes... more Labour voters voted for Fergusson than Morgan. In this constituency, of all constituencies. Astonishing.

Two other things; the Stalinist % for Hodgson was only slightly lower than the Labour %. Though rather more people voted Labour than for Scargill's sad little outfit. And a plurality of Richardson's vote came from the Greenies.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 01:16:08 PM »

The same for Dumfries as for Galloway:

Dumfries: Murray 31, Tosh 0 (ah, but how do thee define Dumfries... I went with the polls that seem to cover the continuous built-up-area. For the record, Tosh won a couple of, basically, commuter villages around the town)
Locharbriggs-Heathhall: Murray 5, Tosh 0
Annan: Murray 10, Tosh 0
Lockerbie: Tosh 4, Murray 0
Lochmaben: Murray 2, Tosh 1
Moffat: Tosh 3, Murray 0
Langholm: Tosh 3
Gretna: Murray 2, Tosh 1

Tosh won most rural polling stations, but not always especially strongly. Interestingly, he also won the postal votes.

Looking at ticket splitting data, Murray took 95% of Labour voters and carried the Green, TommyTrot, Trot, Stalinist and Oldies votes. More SNP and LibDem voters went with Murray than Tosh.

I might do the regional stuff later, might not. Ticket splitting patterns here not so interesting as in Galloway. Anyway. The basic pattern is what I'd always suspected.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 05:46:24 PM »

Welcome; I've used your site as a quick reference thing for a few years now Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 11:38:55 AM »

Do you have the Orkneys or the Highlands?

BTW, do the Greenies or SSP hold any wards?

Greenies have a few councillors here and a few there, don't think they topped the poll anywhere, might be wrong. SSP don't have anything, Solidarity did have a councillor in Glasgow, but she defected to Labour.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 12:04:19 PM »

There are a couple of Communist councillors in Fife still. Can't remember what label they ran under.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 12:29:13 PM »

There weren't any candidates in Fife who described themselves as Communist in 2007 or 2003.  Presumably they ran as Labour or Independent.

Left Alliance, Left List... something like that. Might count as Indies.

The white in The Lochs is one of them. Think there's one in Cowdenbeath as well.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 12:39:21 PM »

Didn't West Fife elect a Communist MP from '35 to '50?

Yeah, Willie Gallacher (who had previously stood all over the place including, implausibly, Shipley. That sort of thing was normal for high-profile Commies though). His vote collapsed with the onset of the Cold War, though not so dramatically as Pollitt's in Rhondda East (though Pollitt didn't win in 1945. Interestingly, Rhondda East's (Labour) M.P throughout this period was a Syndicalist called William Mainwaring; one of the authors of The Miners Next Step decades earlier. He was fiercely anticommunist and was a big player in internal politics in the Fed). It's not fair to compare with Piratin as his seat was swallowed into a much larger one.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 07:05:35 AM »

If you just add the votes together, Coldside is red. But, yeah.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 02:35:10 PM »

Haha, Bothwell.

Anyway, what's the reason for Tory strength in Kintyre?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 05:43:09 PM »

The intensity of LibDem support in Aberdeen commuterland is a little surprising, but, yeah, I suppose it makes sense when you think about it. My eyes were also drawn to Greenock; I think they first won (in the post-war era, that is) control of the council there in the late 1960s, but the question for the future (in light of that lost deposit) is somewhat different. Actually, Perth is a surprise; had no idea that the had a good vote there.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 05:42:12 PM »

Labour has virtually no organisation in those parts of Scotland. Worse than anywhere else in Great Britain, actually. If I remember correctly, Banff & Buchan CLP (for example) has less than thirty members and the electorate there isn't tiny (unless my memory is playing tricks). Not all of those people are going to want to be candidates.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies