Palin: Good or Bad Choice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:40:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Palin: Good or Bad Choice
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Go!
Palin will help McCain

Palin will hurt McCain

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 83

Author Topic: Palin: Good or Bad Choice  (Read 28576 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 09:54:39 AM »

Pardon my language, but I think we're phucked.

No, JS, you know I'm way more conservative than liberal but this choice truly concerns me.  Obiden can't be too unhappy.

See GM, you are thinking like an intelligent, informed American.  As usual.  But that's not how most people think.  Republicans have known this for years.  They know America wants a President you can have a beer with.  Not one who reads books.

This time, they are giving America a fairly boring number one.  And adding a number two that millions of Americans want to have much more than a beer with.  (Not to suggest Sarah isn't highly intelligent.  She is.  But that's not the part of her millions will vote for.)

But to your point -- I agree.  McCain is 72 and has a history with cancer.  She is the former mayor of a city of five thousand people. She is the first term governor of a state with about 600 thousand people. Idaho has almost twice as many.  

Compared to Obama-Biden...Obama will have had four years Senate experience, including stints on the foreign affairs and armed services committee.  Not a lot of experience.  But more than Palin.  And still, Obama's youth is no gaurantor against disaster.  He could die.  He could be assassinated.  So then Joe Biden looks like an infinitely better pick.

But you and I both now, it's no longer about who is best for America.  In either party.  It's about who wins the most votes.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 09:55:42 AM »

Question is though... if Palin is the nominee, will Parnell just drop his chances for Congress?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 09:57:15 AM »

Question is though... if Palin is the nominee, will Parnell just drop his chances for Congress?

She'll still be governor until January even if McCain wins.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 10:00:02 AM »

At 72 years old for McCain, President Palin is not out of the question, and I'm not totally comfortable with that.

Very good point.

That was the first thing that crossed my mind.

If McCain were 10 years younger... sure. But given concerns about his age, having a VP with so little experience can't be spun to be a good thing.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 10:00:20 AM »

To the extent that "the base" (I hate that term) just loves her and endears them to McCain, then it helps.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2008, 10:03:33 AM »

Really? I have a hard time believing that the anti-choice, anti-gay, pro-gun, pro-war Republican men that make up the party's base love the idea of an inexperienced woman a heartbeat away from the presidency.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2008, 10:04:05 AM »

I'm sorry but this just screams "PANDER" to me.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2008, 10:04:49 AM »

I'm sorry but this just screams "PANDER" to me.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2008, 10:05:44 AM »

Really? I have a hard time believing that the anti-choice, anti-gay, pro-gun, pro-war Republican men that make up the party's base love the idea of an inexperienced woman a heartbeat away from the presidency.

Then you don't know them.  

If abortive women (and/or the abortion providers) are thrown in prison...and gays aren't allowed to marry or have equal rights...they are perfectly content.  God will shower blessing on America.  That's all they care about.  (Speaking of the religious conservatives...not all Republicans.)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2008, 10:06:25 AM »

To the extent that "the base" (I hate that term) just loves her and endears them to McCain, then it helps.

I doubt 10% of the base has heard of her.  If you're talking about the real GOP base that they need to get out, the fundies, they'll probably like her on paper but a little less in practice.  Just my gut.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2008, 10:06:36 AM »

typical wing nut and ethically challenged.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 10:06:44 AM »

Then you don't know them.  

If abortive women (and/or the abortion providers) are thrown in prison...and gays aren't allowed to marry or have equal rights...they are perfectly content.  God will shower blessing on America.  That's all they care about.  (Speaking of the religious conservatives...not all Republicans.)

I've heard she's somewhat moderate (for a Republican) on gay rights.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 10:07:17 AM »

Palin herself is anti-choice, pro-gun, and pro-war. She doesn't strike me as all that anti-gay, though.

And to Alcon: Yes they have. That's why they're "The Base" (ugh).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2008, 10:09:24 AM »

I've heard she's somewhat moderate (for a Republican) on gay rights.

She "has gay friends" and followed a court order to offer state partner benefits, which entailed a veto of unconstitutional anti-gay rights legislation.  She also supports civil unions.  I guess that makes her moderate for a Republican.  She isn't a fire-breather, but she is (unfortunately) a religious conservative, and seems perfectly happy with the status quo.  Other than her inexperience, that is my biggest (and probably sole) criticism.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 10:10:42 AM »

And to Alcon: Yes they have. That's why they're "The Base" (ugh).

This may be a point of disagreement, but I don't think McCain has ever risked losing the hyper-educated base.  Moreover, I don't think that's a major part of the swing electorate.  I think the low-information fundamentalist vote is vastly more important and worth pandering to.  They don't know who Sarah Palin is.  They'll like her positions, though.

I usually think of "the base" as a support system.  I guess you could consider that to be the high-information, activist GOP voters, but I think of that more as the "grassroots."  "The base" I usually think of more as the common, relatively reliable conservative voters.  Semantics Smiley
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2008, 10:11:33 AM »

She's not the best pick, but i can see why McCain chose her. He wanted a younger person on the ticket to counter Obama. Personally, I would have chosen Pawlenty.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2008, 10:12:15 AM »

She's now being painted as some warrior woman.

A gun-toting, anti-choice, pro-war woman is a smart choice with swing-voters?

Somehow I doubt it.

I think is a pick to reassure the base - with pandering to women as a bonus.
Eleanor Martins
RedefiningForm
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.22

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2008, 10:14:32 AM »

I'd love to see her attempt to defend McCain's oil policies as a reformist governor who's willing to stand up to the oil companies.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2008, 10:15:36 AM »

I'm still trying to get used to the idea of such a sexy Vice President...and you know my attraction to older women.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2008, 10:15:56 AM »

Here's an interesting aspect of the debate that will be coming up:
If Biden is too aggressive to a feminine woman, he will come across as a major league asshole.  People could be aggressive to Hillary because she wanted to be seen as a man.

I still think the experience and celebrity arguments are 50% killed in swing states.  It's not hard for Obama to run ads calling McCain a hypocrite and Miss Alaska shallow just by tone of voice. 

It seems McCain is willing to do anything to continue the divide in the Democratic party.  I think my guess last night that Obama (and the Clintons) decided to focus 90% of his entire speech on the Democrats strategically was right - if Obama can make himself into the generic Democrat and McCain   into a generic Republican, Obama wins.  McCain choosing an unconventional pick further distinguishes him from the old & white man party.

One thing I worry about though from McCain's perspective.  I'm not sure if the bulk of PUMA-types really would be down for a 72 year old man selecting a MILF.

Let's wait for the sex tape to emerge guys!  Haha.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2008, 10:16:58 AM »

Another note: she is younger than Obama - 44 years old.

oh, and she has the same first and middle name as my sister.  weird.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2008, 10:17:22 AM »

I'm still trying to get used to the idea of such a sexy Vice President...and you know my attraction to older women.

Older? OLDER?HuhHuhHuhHuh

Go haunt a house!  ;-)
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2008, 10:18:41 AM »

I'd love to see her attempt to defend McCain's oil policies as a reformist governor who's willing to stand up to the oil companies.

Palin supports offshore drilling -- yet another reason why "The Ba...", I mean, GOP partisans, like her.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2008, 10:18:49 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

She has more than "the messiah".

Measured in millimeters though.  I mean, she was mayor of Wissala (~5,000 people when she was mayor) and before that she was a journalist.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2008, 10:18:57 AM »

She's no Maggie Thatcher.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies