Is Sarah Palin qualified to be President of the United States?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:04:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13
Poll
Question: Is Sarah Palin qualified to be President of the United States?
Yes.

No.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 128

Author Topic: Is Sarah Palin qualified to be President of the United States?  (Read 26272 times)
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: August 29, 2008, 03:25:54 PM »

I don't know enough about her to judge yet...

Her "?" status can either serve as a benefit to McCain or Obama... it depends who gets to define her first.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #176 on: August 29, 2008, 03:26:47 PM »

Well, ....

...I'm not overjoyed with the experience of either the Republican Veep nominee nor the Democratic Presidential nominee.  Ironically, Palin has better administrative experience than anyone else on either ticket.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #177 on: August 29, 2008, 03:27:58 PM »

Well, ....

...I'm not overjoyed with the experience of either the Republican Veep nominee nor the Democratic Presidential nominee.  Ironically, Palin has better administrative experience than anyone else on either ticket.

I say, running a successful presidential campaign > governor of Alaska for two years.  But they might be close, haha.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #178 on: August 29, 2008, 03:29:51 PM »

Well, ....

...I'm not overjoyed with the experience of either the Republican Veep nominee nor the Democratic Presidential nominee.  Ironically, Palin has better administrative experience than anyone else on either ticket.

lol...that's actually pretty funny.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #179 on: August 29, 2008, 03:34:24 PM »

Well, ....

...I'm not overjoyed with the experience of either the Republican Veep nominee nor the Democratic Presidential nominee.  Ironically, Palin has better administrative experience than anyone else on either ticket.

I say, running a successful presidential campaign > governor of Alaska for two years.  But they might be close, haha.

As someone who has both run campaigns and served I would say governor of Alaska > running a large business > serving in a legislature (legislature types function differently) > running for president.

Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #180 on: August 29, 2008, 03:36:33 PM »

Aizen, apologize.  That's a horrible thing to say.  All us Democrats hope she loses.  But she's a classy lady and, evidently, pretty intelligent and compassionate. 

i was kidding holy crap

i will not apologize for it

i don't really consider her a "bitch"

but if she wants creationism in schools

then she must be stopped

at all costs

especially since there is a good chance mccain will die and she would take over
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #181 on: August 29, 2008, 03:42:19 PM »

Aizen, apologize.  That's a horrible thing to say.  All us Democrats hope she loses.  But she's a classy lady and, evidently, pretty intelligent and compassionate. 

i was kidding holy crap

i will not apologize for it

i don't really consider her a "bitch"

but if she wants creationism in schools

then she must be stopped

at all costs

especially since there is a good chance mccain will die and she would take over

A few things my friend,

1.  I am glad you were kidding. 
2.  Hey -- I agree with you about creationism...and I am a Christian.  But hammer her on that.  Or on wanting to put abortive women in prison.  That makes her a right wing conservative.  Not a bitch.
3.  At all costs?  No, not at all costs.  Not at the cost of our integrity or decency.
4.  I don't think there is "a good chance" McCain will die.  But he has battled melanoma and he is 72.  Let's see if we can find away to express our concern about her being a heartbeat away...without sounding like we're saying, "Bring out your dead!"  We all want Mac to live a long, healthy life whether he is President or not.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #182 on: August 29, 2008, 03:58:26 PM »

No way, no how. She has very little executive experience, she has very little experience with affairs outside of Alaska, and the list goes on.
At least she has more executive experience than Obama...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #183 on: August 29, 2008, 04:00:53 PM »

No way, no how. She has very little executive experience, she has very little experience with affairs outside of Alaska, and the list goes on.
At least she has more executive experience than Obama...

more than McCain omg Purple heart 'executive experience'
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #184 on: August 29, 2008, 04:01:29 PM »

Well I think creationism should be taught in science class now that I think about it. Is anyone perspicacious enough to fathom why I say this? 

Because science clas should discuss discarded theories and superstitious and frame them in the context of advances in thoughts and experiments.

Pretty close. It should be discussed as to whether or not it is science or not. Is it subject to the scientific  method? Is it potentially falsifiable based on experimentation and new data?  Students will obtain a better  understanding of when theories and hypothesis can be labeled scientific ones, and when they cannot.

Unfortunately, my little approach is not reasonably calculated to win many creationist friends I don't think. Smiley

If a candidate for president said creationism should be taught just so kids can see how hopelessly backwards ancient peoples were, that person would instantly win my vote. Smiley

Kids are already taught that. It's called history class. Torie's flexible little mind is talking about science class.

We can have two classes to laugh at creationists then! Cheesy
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #185 on: August 29, 2008, 04:10:47 PM »

Thank you.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #186 on: August 29, 2008, 04:14:32 PM »

Thank you.

No thanks necessary.  I socked my nephew in the mouth for calling his mother, my sister, a bitch.  And she's crazy as a loon.  But she's a lady. 

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #187 on: August 29, 2008, 05:10:53 PM »

Hehe.  Quite a thread you started.  Seems to have brought out the best in many off our posters Wink

The timing was impeccable, though, you gotta admit.  I was out and about today and noticed that every store I stopped at that had a Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier (local daily) vending machine also had a big pink banner that said "MCCAIN PICKS VP.  READ IT INSIDE."  And a perusal of the first page showed that he indeed had.  The banner headline was "McCain's veep choice is historic and hardly known"  and it was on the top half.  The half you see when you look into the machine.  And they're already making bad puns about it.  Smaller articles on the top-half margin read "The McCain Event."  In order to read the equally large banner on the bottom half, which was about a star-spangled Democrat convention in Denver, you had to buy the paper.  Totally overshadowed the DNC's lovefest.  And this in a county that the Democrats carried handily in 2000 and in 2004.  Not bad, John McCain. 

And, really, there's nothing wrong with her.  He's old.  She's young.  He's man.  She's woman.  They complement one another well.  And she's an anti-tax crusader and a traditionalist.  And she's pro-corporate growth.  And she's a feisty journalist to boot, so one assumes she can read and write.  Maybe not what you'd choose--or I'd choose--in a candidate, but it's what McCain wanted in a running mate.  And from what I've read they like one another personally, which is far more than you can say about the Gore/Clinton duo, or about Reagan and Bush. 

She needs to lose the glasses though.  Seriously, invest in some contacts.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #188 on: August 29, 2008, 05:11:59 PM »

What the hell happened to this thread? Something about intelligent design? Well, I'm not reading it.

Anyway, I'm feeling nervous at the moment, which means Palin is probably a good pick.

But, as others have already said, I do find it a bit curious at the same time. Once Hillary conceded back in June, Obama had a pretty big boost. Then McCain ran ads slamming Obama on his inexperience. They worked very well. Obama's lead was erased and McCain is leading in some general election polls again.

And now he picks Palin. Obama has been a Senator for almost four years, about half of which he's been running for President. Palin has been the Governor of one of the smallest states what, a year and a half? And before that was the mayor of a small city? The VP is supposed to be ready to become President at any time. McCain and the Republicans have made it clear they think Obama's inexperience is a huge reason (usually the #1 reason) not to vote for him. So it seems a little bit hypocritical in that regard. But that's just politics as usual.

I dunno, McCain's "experience" strategy just seemed to be working very well for him. It doesn't seem like he'll be to use that nearly as effectively as he was before. I also think Palin does have the potential to end up being a bad pick for McCain--but like I said earlier, she makes me nervous. I would have rather had Romney. So the potential of her being a good pick seem to be greater.
bergie72
Germany

Political Matrix
E: 4.77, S: -3.48

« Reply #189 on: August 29, 2008, 05:46:05 PM »

US Constitution
Article 2, Section I

No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

Check, check, check.  She's qualified.  And so is Barack Obama, Joe Biden and John McCain. 

Anything beyond the Constitutional requirements is personal preference.

:-)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #190 on: August 29, 2008, 05:58:32 PM »

Yes.  Executive experience is  more helpful than Legislative.

Right.

Being mayor of a town of five thousand and spending two years as governor of one of the smallest states in the union is much more helpful to a commander in chief than serving on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee or the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Actually, it is better experience.  Obama's fly-by visits at Senate committees while running for President are no substitute for having to make decisions and being responsible for them consequences, no matter what the level.  There is also the fact that unlike any President or Vice President in recent history, both McCain and Palin will each have a personal reason to consider before committing American troops to action.  (Unless you consider the "high-risk" position Biden's son has as a National Guard JAG to being even close to being equivalent to being a marine or an infantryman.)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #191 on: August 29, 2008, 06:05:56 PM »

Nether is Obama in terms of experience.

Btw Obama is the liberal opposite of Palin in terms of ideology. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #192 on: August 29, 2008, 06:11:28 PM »

What the hell happened to this thread? Something about intelligent design? Well, I'm not reading it.

Anyway, I'm feeling nervous at the moment, which means Palin is probably a good pick.

But, as others have already said, I do find it a bit curious at the same time. Once Hillary conceded back in June, Obama had a pretty big boost. Then McCain ran ads slamming Obama on his inexperience. They worked very well. Obama's lead was erased and McCain is leading in some general election polls again.

And now he picks Palin. Obama has been a Senator for almost four years, about half of which he's been running for President. Palin has been the Governor of one of the smallest states what, a year and a half? And before that was the mayor of a small city? The VP is supposed to be ready to become President at any time. McCain and the Republicans have made it clear they think Obama's inexperience is a huge reason (usually the #1 reason) not to vote for him. So it seems a little bit hypocritical in that regard. But that's just politics as usual.

I dunno, McCain's "experience" strategy just seemed to be working very well for him. It doesn't seem like he'll be to use that nearly as effectively as he was before. I also think Palin does have the potential to end up being a bad pick for McCain--but like I said earlier, she makes me nervous. I would have rather had Romney. So the potential of her being a good pick seem to be greater.

One thing to note when it comes to stealing Hillary voters - Hillary positioned herself as the "experienced candidate" and Obama's lack of experience is one of the number one reasons PUMA's refuse to vote for him.  Could they be won back by a woman with even less experience than Obama?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #193 on: August 29, 2008, 06:13:59 PM »

^ I don't know. Maybe. Palin doesn't seem like the type of woman who would appeal to that crowd, but if they're still angry about Obama beating Clinton it might not really matter.

Oh, and now both parties have an Alaskan or Hawaiian on their tickets. Weird.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #194 on: August 29, 2008, 06:18:01 PM »

One thing to note when it comes to stealing Hillary voters - Hillary positioned herself as the "experienced candidate" and Obama's lack of experience is one of the number one reasons PUMA's refuse to vote for him.  Could they be won back by a woman with even less experience than Obama?

Funny thing about that is, Hillary's experience is all tied to her husband.  Palin's is hers and hers alone.  Democrats go nuts at a Republican woman who made it on her own.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #195 on: August 29, 2008, 06:23:56 PM »

I will say this, Palin is going to play very well in Pennsylvania's "T."
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #196 on: August 29, 2008, 06:27:16 PM »

Obama has more experience than Palin. I'm not saying he has a ton more, but atleast his past experience is a bit better than being mayor of a town smaller than Saint-Jacques-de-la-Lande.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #197 on: August 29, 2008, 06:42:59 PM »

Obama has more experience than Palin. I'm not saying he has a ton more, but atleast his past experience is a bit better than being mayor of a town smaller than Saint-Jacques-de-la-Lande.

btw, I was watching your French news this afternoon with the GF.  They said that Palin was Catholic, even though she's a lapsed Catholic who became an Evangelical (following the path of every Hispanic in this county, it seems).

Are they always this inaccurate with their reporting
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #198 on: August 29, 2008, 06:45:15 PM »

btw, I was watching your French news this afternoon with the GF.  They said that Palin was Catholic, even though she's a lapsed Catholic who became an Evangelical (following the path of every Hispanic in this county, it seems).

Are they always this inaccurate with their reporting

Sometimes they're quite bad, especially in foreign stuff.

I'm sure max. 2 persons in France know of her.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #199 on: August 29, 2008, 06:50:01 PM »

She is also Governor of a state.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies