Is Sarah Palin qualified to be President of the United States?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:57:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Is Sarah Palin qualified to be President of the United States?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13
Poll
Question: Is Sarah Palin qualified to be President of the United States?
Yes.

No.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 128

Author Topic: Is Sarah Palin qualified to be President of the United States?  (Read 25960 times)
KeyKeeper
Turner22
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 2.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: August 30, 2008, 07:31:10 PM »

The fact is Gov. Palin would be a much better President then Sen. Clinton.

Hillary Clinton:

--Received 17.5-18 million votes for President in the Democratic Primary.

--Has been in national politics for 16 years and held a U.S. Senate seat for 8 years in one the most populous states in the nation.

--Has worked on a wide variety of national issues during those 16 years -- health care, education, adoption, economic initiatives, the environment, national defense issues, disaster relief and women's rights.  Some specific examples include SCHIP, The Adoption and Safe Families Act, FMLA, getting over the counter sales for emergency contraception approved and helping secure $20 billion in disaster relief funds for N.Y. after 9/11.

--Has served on the Senate Armed Services Committee for 6 years and has been praised for her work there by several committee members, including Republicans John Warner and Lindsey Graham.

--Was endorsed by many top military brass during her Presidential campaign.
http://www.hillaryclinton.com/news/release/view/?id=6799

--Has visited over 82 countries and met and established relationships with many international leaders.

Sarah Palin:

-- Has been governor of one of the least populous states in the nation for 2 years.  So far, her signature achievement seems to be the ethics reform bill she passed in 2007.  She has almost no foreign policy experience.

I guess CA and TX aren't part of the United States anymore. I never said Gov. Palin had more experience then Sen. Clinton. But the issues she holds and they way she stood up to get corruption out of AK is something Sen. Clinton will never have or do.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #276 on: August 30, 2008, 07:48:08 PM »

I accidentally omitted the word "of" in this line.  It should have read like this --

--Has been in national politics for 16 years and held a U.S. Senate seat for 8 years in one of the most populous states in the nation.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #277 on: August 30, 2008, 07:49:51 PM »

The fact is Gov. Palin would be a much better President then Sen. Clinton.

Hillary Clinton:

--Received 17.5-18 million votes for President in the Democratic Primary.

Apparently, that's a good reason as to why someone would be a better President.

George W. Bush received three million more votes than John Kerry did in 2004. Do you think he has been a better President than Kerry would have been?
KeyKeeper
Turner22
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 2.09

« Reply #278 on: August 30, 2008, 07:50:42 PM »

I accidentally omitted the word "of" in this line.  It should have read like this --

--Has been in national politics for 16 years and held a U.S. Senate seat for 8 years in one of the most populous states in the nation.

OK, but being a Senate is very different then being a Governor. A Governor is just like a President, but at a local level.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #279 on: August 30, 2008, 09:30:48 PM »

OK, but being a Senate is very different then being a Governor. A Governor is just like a President, but at a local level.

So any executive is more qualified than a legislator to be president or vice president?  That would make Palin more qualified than McCain as well.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #280 on: August 30, 2008, 09:55:06 PM »

Guys, I have some relieving news: according to Palin's speech just now, she used to be both a hockey mom and a part-time basketball coach. Don't worry; we're in good, experienced hands.

Your commentary on Brian Schweitzer, a rancher by profession, being a possible Obama running mate:

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #281 on: August 30, 2008, 10:12:17 PM »

ranchers have executive experience.  duh
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #282 on: August 30, 2008, 10:16:45 PM »

And foreign policy experience, too, I bet!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #283 on: August 30, 2008, 10:18:51 PM »

So do mayors, governors, and Naval Base Commanders.  Senators, well... .
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #284 on: August 30, 2008, 10:18:56 PM »

It's funny, I can pretty much guarantee that if Schweitzer had been picked, people like me would be defending him, while people like you would laugh him off as a hick in a stupid tie who had no clue what he was doing and whose executive experience was a joke.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #285 on: August 30, 2008, 10:20:36 PM »

It's funny, I can pretty much guarantee that if Schweitzer had been picked, people like me would be defending him, while people like you would laugh him off as a hick in a stupid tie who had no clue what he was doing and whose executive experience was a joke.

Actually, probably not (at least on my part). After his speech, I noted that I think he'll be the Democratic frontrunner in 2012 if Obama loses this year. He'd be a strong candidate this year for Vice President.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #286 on: August 30, 2008, 10:20:53 PM »

Governor of one of the least populated states there are..... this thought makes me wonder.

President Bush was Governor of the second most populated state. Would everyone agree that he's been a good President?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #287 on: August 30, 2008, 10:22:10 PM »

Governor of one of the least populated states there are..... this thought makes me wonder.

President Bush was Governor of the second most populated state. Would everyone agree that he's been a good President?

True, but a way out of that argument is that the Governor of Texas doesn't really do anything and Bush has always had handlers and mentors to take care of business. The Governor of Alaska does seem to do executive things, it's just on a very small scale.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #288 on: August 30, 2008, 10:26:09 PM »

True, but a way out of that argument is that the Governor of Texas doesn't really do anything and Bush has always had handlers and mentors to take care of business. The Governor of Alaska does seem to do executive things, it's just on a very small scale.

And for a very brief time. Less than 2 years ago Palin was the mayor of a small town. If McCain wins and (god forbid) must hand the Presidency over to Palin, she may be the new commander in chief next year. Clearly, McCain is not serious when he says Obama doesn't have the necessary experience.

So... Bill Clinton, Ted Kennedy, and Joe Biden all think Obama has enough experience... and John McCain admitted as much as well with this Palin pick.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #289 on: August 30, 2008, 10:52:36 PM »

And for a very brief time. Less than 2 years ago Palin was the mayor of a small town. If McCain wins and (god forbid) must hand the Presidency over to Palin, she may be the new commander in chief next year. Clearly, McCain is not serious when he says Obama doesn't have the necessary experience.

So... Bill Clinton, Ted Kennedy, and Joe Biden all think Obama has enough experience... and John McCain admitted as much as well with this Palin pick.

I'm too lazy to type something new up so here is a quote for you...

Okay let's break this down.

DEMS: McCain picked someone as inexperienced as Obama (who is running for President) to be his VP (to be President-in-training aka that person that doesn't do much unless something happens to the President, and if something did they'd already have a lot more knowledge and experience just by being VP for a while... Are ya'll betting that something is gonna happen to McCain? Who is playing the "politics of fear" card now?).

I like to look at it this way. Lets say we have two football teams. Team #1 has a very experienced and seasoned QB who has played in the pros for 15 years and is an all pro as their starter and a backup who is a rookie.

Team #2 has a QB with one year of experience and a backup with 16 years of playing experience.

So if I'm the defensive coordinator for team #2 I can't go after the QBs of team #1 with a strategy to take advantage of inexperience when  their starter has so much experience.

If I'm the defensive coordinator for team #1 you bet I can take advantage of a guy who has only played for one year.

These two are similar in that the VP or backup does not even do anything much unless something happens to the starter. So in conclusion, McCain can still attack Obama campaign with inexperience.

Maybe I'm just deluded but I can't see how you can call running for the Presidency with little experience and running for the VP with little experience as the same or even remotely similar things.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #290 on: August 30, 2008, 11:01:11 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2008, 11:05:17 PM by Beet »

DEMS: McCain picked someone as inexperienced as Obama (who is running for President) to be his VP (to be President-in-training aka that person that doesn't do much unless something happens to the President, and if something did they'd already have a lot more knowledge and experience just by being VP for a while... Are ya'll betting that something is gonna happen to McCain? Who is playing the "politics of fear" card now?).

I like to look at it this way. Lets say we have two football teams. Team #1 has a very experienced and seasoned QB who has played in the pros for 15 years and is an all pro as their starter and a backup who is a rookie.

Team #2 has a QB with one year of experience and a backup with 16 years of playing experience.

So if I'm the defensive coordinator for team #2 I can't go after the QBs of team #1 with a strategy to take advantage of inexperience when  their starter has so much experience.

If I'm the defensive coordinator for team #1 you bet I can take advantage of a guy who has only played for one year.

These two are similar in that the VP or backup does not even do anything much unless something happens to the starter. So in conclusion, McCain can still attack Obama campaign with inexperience.

Maybe I'm just deluded but I can't see how you can call running for the Presidency with little experience and running for the VP with little experience as the same or even remotely similar things.

Sorry wildcard, I didn't see your post before. It's true that running a less experienced candidate at the top of the ticket and as VP are different things.

But it's not as simple as a starting QB and a backup QB. In football, when the starting QB goes up, he is up there doing 100% of the QB work. The backup QB can't help him at all.

But as President, Obama would be able to rely on Biden for advice in making his decisions. He would ultimately use his own judgment and follow his own principles, but when encountering a situation he is unfamiliar with or thinks that Biden's greater experience could help, Biden would be able to assist.

How would Palin be able to assist McCain? This is less clear. She could be a voice of social conservatism within the administration, and a linkage to other outside groups, play political roles. But she's less valuable as VP.

A better (but still imperfect) analogy is that the VP is not the backup QB but rather the offensive coordinator. With Obama-Biden, team #1 has a talented rookie QB with an experienced offensive coordinator with 16 years behind him telling him his plays. Team #2 has a highly experienced QB, but his plays are dictated by a rookie offensive coordinator. The only difference here is that, the QB would ultimately be able to overrule the offensive coordinator and call his own plays when he sees them.
Vsanto5
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: 3.23

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #291 on: August 30, 2008, 11:28:09 PM »

And in team #2 if the QB gets hurt we are all screwed.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #292 on: August 30, 2008, 11:41:33 PM »

Sorry wildcard, I didn't see your post before. It's true that running a less experienced candidate at the top of the ticket and as VP are different things.

But it's not as simple as a starting QB and a backup QB. In football, when the starting QB goes up, he is up there doing 100% of the QB work. The backup QB can't help him at all.

But as President, Obama would be able to rely on Biden for advice in making his decisions. He would ultimately use his own judgment and follow his own principles, but when encountering a situation he is unfamiliar with or thinks that Biden's greater experience could help, Biden would be able to assist.

How would Palin be able to assist McCain? This is less clear. She could be a voice of social conservatism within the administration, and a linkage to other outside groups, play political roles. But she's less valuable as VP.

A better (but still imperfect) analogy is that the VP is not the backup QB but rather the offensive coordinator. With Obama-Biden, team #1 has a talented rookie QB with an experienced offensive coordinator with 16 years behind him telling him his plays. Team #2 has a highly experienced QB, but his plays are dictated by a rookie offensive coordinator. The only difference here is that, the QB would ultimately be able to overrule the offensive coordinator and call his own plays when he sees them.

Of course, you probably realize that what you're saying there infers that the VP is more of the brains of the operation and the President is just the muscle. I get what you're saying though. Smiley

Still, the VP is far from the President's only adviser and not all administrations function how we like to think the Bush-Cheney admin. functions. We also all probably know McCain and at the end of the day McCain is going to do what McCain is going to do, regardless of what anyone thinks that is why so many Democrats have liked him in the past. Also, I tend to believe that when you have an inexperienced candidate running for President it is almost necessary that someone with experience is chosen. When the person on the top of the ticket has lots of experience in office he can pick someone with experience or without experience, it isn't a necessity.

Anyway getting back to what I was responding to in your original post I don't see how McCain picking Palin let's Obama off the hook for not having experience. It's comparing an Apple to an Orange, as we have both seemingly agreed upon Palin's inexperience and Obama's inexperience are two different things considering what they are running for.

Politics of fear card eh? Wink
Vsanto5
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: 3.23

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #293 on: August 31, 2008, 12:03:36 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You are right it doesn't let him off the hook, but only if he decides to attack on this subject, which politically speaking, I don't think he will.

There is a difference considering that Obama committed himself to running for this office and was elected by defeating Hillary Rodham Clinton.  Palin recently commented on what exactly the VP does and at a separate point dissing the VP job.  It seems to me that this pick is a result of republican strategy whereas Obama was a product of America's hunger for change.

No, just no.

TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #294 on: August 31, 2008, 12:19:55 AM »
« Edited: August 31, 2008, 12:23:09 AM by TheWildCard »

You are right it doesn't let him off the hook, but only if he decides to attack on this subject, which politically speaking, I don't think he will.

Well I'm glad we agree. Smiley

There is a difference considering that Obama committed himself to running for this office and was elected by defeating Hillary Rodham Clinton.  Palin recently commented on what exactly the VP does and at a separate point dissing the VP job.  It seems to me that this pick is a result of republican strategy whereas Obama was a product of America's hunger for change.

Simply running a campaign that beats a prominent figure doesn't mean the person will be a good President (i.e. W. and Carter). I haven't read the context of the Palin remark yet so I'll refrain from commenting for now.

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #295 on: August 31, 2008, 12:26:57 AM »

Still, the VP is far from the President's only adviser and not all administrations function how we like to think the Bush-Cheney admin. functions. We also all probably know McCain and at the end of the day McCain is going to do what McCain is going to do, regardless of what anyone thinks that is why so many Democrats have liked him in the past. Also, I tend to believe that when you have an inexperienced candidate running for President it is almost necessary that someone with experience is chosen. When the person on the top of the ticket has lots of experience in office he can pick someone with experience or without experience, it isn't a necessity.

Agreed. Smiley Which is a large part of why I think that Biden and Palin were ultimately picked. Each one helps shore up that candidate's weakness.

It doesn't completely let him off the hook, but are you really saying that there is no presumption that the VP is supposed to be someone who is ready to step into the numero uno slot if necessary? In making this pick, McCain is, at least to some extent, denigrating the value of experience within his own judgment. He must feel that, while experience may be a plus, it is not absolutely necessary to have more experience than Palin does.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #296 on: August 31, 2008, 12:46:00 AM »

Agreed. Smiley Which is a large part of why I think that Biden and Palin were ultimately picked. Each one helps shore up that candidate's weakness.

It doesn't completely let him off the hook, but are you really saying that there is no presumption that the VP is supposed to be someone who is ready to step into the numero uno slot if necessary? In making this pick, McCain is, at least to some extent, denigrating the value of experience within his own judgment. He must feel that, while experience may be a plus, it is not absolutely necessary to have more experience than Palin does.

I will agree. To some, very minor, extent he is lessening the value of experience. But it is far from placing less or equal value on experience than the Obama/Biden ticket does.

Although it is funny that 99% of the time we all agree that the VP means nothing and here we are today having 20+ page conversations about them. Quite amusing.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #297 on: August 31, 2008, 12:56:04 AM »
« Edited: August 31, 2008, 01:07:41 AM by Beet »

I will agree. To some, very minor, extent he is lessening the value of experience. But it is far from placing less or equal value on experience than the Obama/Biden ticket does.

Although it is funny that 99% of the time we all agree that the VP means nothing and here we are today having 20+ page conversations about them. Quite amusing.

We are converging toward agreement. The Obama/Biden ticket clearly places relatively more value on change.

Still, there is a reason the VP is held to the same Constitutional requirements as the President. As far as an insuperable barrier to the White House goes, McCain is clearly saying that lack of experience is not an absolute deal breaker for him. Maybe it shouldn't be for the voters, either.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #298 on: August 31, 2008, 01:11:00 AM »
« Edited: August 31, 2008, 01:20:23 AM by TheWildCard »

We are converging toward agreement. The Obama/Biden ticket clearly places relatively more value on change.

Yes, I agree. Though, Biden isn't necessarily the type who screams change due to his vast experience in congress. My biggest issue with Obama is that he always mentions change but I do not see it on his track record. Yes you can point to his work in Chicago. I can point to McCain leading the gang of 14 and his all around Maverick status. Yes, you can point out the success of Obama's campaign and I again can point to the fact that winning elections is no more a good indicator of who will be a good President than flipping a coin as we've seen in previous elections (Carter from my party's perspective and W. the your's).

But all of that is neither here nor there in this thread and I'm getting off topic.

Anyway, glad to see that we pretty much agree or disagree only slightly as the case might be.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #299 on: August 31, 2008, 01:19:27 AM »
« Edited: August 31, 2008, 01:22:20 AM by Beet »

Yes, I agree. Though, Biden isn't necessarily the type who screams change due to his vast experience in congress. My biggest issue with Obama is that he always mentions change but I do not see it on his track record. Yes you can point to his work in Chicago. I can point to McCain leading the gang of 7 and his all around Maverick status. Yes, you can point out the success of Obama's campaign and I again can point to the fact that winning elections is no more a good indicator of who will be a good President than flipping a coin as we've seen in previous elections (Carter from my party's perspective and W. the your's).

But all of that is neither here nor there in this thread and I'm getting off topic.

Anyway, glad to see that we pretty much agree or disagree only slightly as the case might be.

The gang of 14 doesn't mean much to me when McCain has said that he would kick off half the current Supreme Court for not being sufficiently conservative, and his models are conservative activists like Roberts and Alito.

As for his all around maverick status, he disagrees with his party on a few significant issues. But he agrees with them 80-90% of the time (and he's had a lot longer to find points of disagreement).

And Obama also disagrees with his party's two other nominees on some important issues, such as faith based initiatives, taxes and health care mandates. To me Obama's change represents a few things (1) change within the Democrats- away from the old interest group politics and the battles of the 60s (2) change within the country- electing a guy who has only been in Washington for 4 years and is still basically an outsider and running on very different policies.

In the end I guess its whose policies you agree with more. You basically have a conservative Republican vs a liberal Democrat. The differences are huge, but I think most Americans are looking for a new direction.

And also... experience is no guarantee of a successful Presidency. Just look at every experienced mediocre or failed President from Buchanan to Nixon to H.W. Bush.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies