Are you better off today than you were 4 years ago (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:01:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are you better off today than you were 4 years ago (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are you better off today than you were 4 years ago  (Read 3901 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« on: September 08, 2004, 01:56:05 PM »

This thread shows that ultimately, to a large extent, people's lives are determiend by their own hard work ( or lack therof) and their own good luck (or lack therof).

No Bush policy is responsible for Nym's father being injured, or for MODU paying off his student loans.  This is the result of personal choices and tragedies.

I am better off than I was four years ago, and so is my family.  I know better than to say its Bush's success.  Its our success.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 04:13:31 PM »

This thread shows that ultimately, to a large extent, people's lives are determiend by their own hard work ( or lack therof) and their own good luck (or lack therof).

So you think Reagan's argument in 1984 was total bunk then?

I would argue that while an individual's success is controlled by their own actions, the # of people able to succeed is controlled (at least in part) by the actions of the government.

I'd say that the government can affect the aggregate gains or losses in the economy, but to take credit or blame for things that happen to individuals is a bit silly in most cases.  Did Bush cause Nym's father to face personal tragedy?  No.  If we're talking about purely economic impact, then political leaders can take credit or blame if they can trace a line from specific policies to specific individuals struggling or thriving.  Where is the Bush policy that is designed to help MODU pay off student loans?  There isn't one.  MODU is better off, but not because of Bush.  Nym is worse off, but not because of Bush.

The things that affect us the most are not necessarily things that can be traced to economic policy, that's my main point.  This doesn't mean that sometimes people aren't better off because of certain policies, but to whether an individual if he is better off usually has little to do with the big picture policies of Presidents and congresses.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 04:19:32 PM »

I'll answer yes. My life in six grade was incomparable to how it is now and I have enjoyed my last few years of school more than ever.

Perfect example of what I mean when I say that the things that improve people's lives as individuals are not usually things that result from policy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies