Howard calls election for October 9th
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:59:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Howard calls election for October 9th
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Howard calls election for October 9th  (Read 2597 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2004, 02:41:44 AM »

Howrd's speech

A very true except from Michelle Grattan's article:

"Howard says people are "bored" with children overboard, which is "ancient history". While true, this is also bluff, a variation on the tactic that the PM used in 2001 to divert the media. It would be the ultimate irony if we in the media first failed to get to the truth of "children overboard" in the last election campaign and then, having now had it thrust in our collective faces by Scrafton, swallowed the PM's line that the issue was old news."

the article: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/08/28/1093518165066.html

Michelle Grattan is Australia's lading political writer, and is unbiased, although it seems she has come down against Howard this campaign. She might come down against Latham too of course, but it hasn't ahppened yet.

Here's an article from Shaun Carney, who is a leftwinger, againstr Latham: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/08/27/1093518094190.html

it was written just before the election was called.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 03:35:55 AM »

I’m expecting Howard to win this one, from what I remember the opposition Labour Party’s been getting better but I’m not sure how much better… well best of luck to em’! anything’s better than Howard Cheesy  
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 10:57:47 AM »

Go Howard!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 08:06:29 PM »

Hugh: Who should I be rooting for? Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 08:10:31 PM »

Howard.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 08:19:29 PM »

I asked hugh Angry Wink
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 01:40:39 AM »

It's a tough one.

Howard has repeatedly lied to us, and he's a pig of a man, but his Treasurer, Peter Costello, is a miracle worker. Our economy IS one of the strongest uin the western workld, interest rates ARE at historical lows, and the aussie dollar is doing pretty well too.

Latham is socially centrist and economically leftist; a populist. I dislike populists usually anyway, but add the fact that he comes from Sydneys' western suburbs and he's worse Cheesy I prefer his to Howard, but I like neither.

Because of preferential voting, there is also the realistic option of voting thirs party, and in the end if I could vote i'd probbabl;y vote for the Australian Democrats; socially moderate left, economically moderate right. Thn,l as a protest vote, i'd vote Greens, and have the Labor party as my first 'major party' preference.

Also, because we elect on a seat-by-seat basis, it adds the two candidates for my seat. The liberals have nominated a centrist, who seems like a nice bloke, for my seat-which has been Labor for every election after 1903. Every single election Tongue.

The incumbent is Michael Danby, a great bloke who's been in parliament since 1998. He's the former editor of Melbourne's jewish newspaper, and is really involved in the community even though he's also in parliament. Because he is Jewish, he is good to represent the seat, which has a significant minority majority. Melbourne' Greek, Russian, Jewish and Spanish communities are based here to a large degree, although many yuppies and empty nester WASPs are moving in because it is a 'hot' region for property.

So basically, becuase of the local candidate, i'd definently be voting Labor above Liberal. In other seats, it would be dependent on the candidate too, and I would possibly consider voting for the Liberal in Lathams' seat if they were a centrist.

After all thatm, it's your choice. Latham is better then Howard, but is your local candidate for Labor better then the Liberal?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 01:32:28 PM »

How high are the chances of the ADs ever winning a seat?
I mean, you'd figure most Labourites would preference them over the LibNats and vice versa, so they only have to beat one of them, right? But apparently, it's just not happening...
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 01:27:58 AM »

Well the democrats basically have no chance of winning a seat in the lower house, especially outsdide of South Australia (their 'base').

I wuish they did win some seats, but hey...the greens hold a seat; the rest are all labor/coalition (liberals, nationals and one country liberal) or independents.

They do however hold a number of senate seats (11 i think) that means that they share the balnce of power with the greens and independents.

Yes, most people do preference them, but usually they still don't get enough first round votes to remain in, or second, thirsd, etc. Basically, they usually don't get enough preferences to be in the final 2 most of the time. In 1998 they lost the seat iof Mayo in South Australia (Foreign Minister Alexander Downers' seat) by only a handful of votes though.

The will probably pick up a seat in Queensland in the senate (from One Nations' Len Harris) but due to their recent leadership problems they're likely to lose one or two too (bring back Natasha!).

I hope that they retain the balance of power though Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 02:44:17 PM »

Well the democrats basically have no chance of winning a seat in the lower house, especially outsdide of South Australia (their 'base').

I wuish they did win some seats, but hey...the greens hold a seat;
Whoa. How come?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2004, 01:19:49 PM »

I wuish they did win some seats, but hey...the greens hold a seat;
Whoa. How come?

A by-election (Cunningham, NSW) at the height of Crean's unpopularity as Labor leader.
Good thing the ALP got rid of him methinks...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies