Palin thinks that the founding fathers wrote the pledge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:35:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Palin thinks that the founding fathers wrote the pledge
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Palin thinks that the founding fathers wrote the pledge  (Read 2659 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2008, 06:30:14 PM »

From a written candidate questionnaire in 2006:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://eagleforumalaska.blogspot.com/2006/07/2006-gubernatorial-candidate.html

This complete joke wants to be one 72 year-old heartbeat away from the Presidency? That's pretty scary.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 06:31:18 PM »

I don't know if you're trying to be funny or not.  Please clarify.
Eleden
oaksmarts

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 06:32:54 PM »

This complete joke wants to be one 72 year-old heartbeat away from the Presidency? That's pretty scary.

Not sure if this is serious or not...

I'm no Palin supporter but why is basic knowledge of the Pledge of Allegiance relevant to how she'd run this country? 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 06:33:18 PM »

The under God thing in the pledge came into being in the 1950's. It is a trick question. About one tenth of one percent of Americans know that.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 06:48:09 PM »

The under God thing in the pledge came into being in the 1950's. It is a trick question. About one tenth of one percent of Americans know that.
Coincidentally, about one tenth of one percent of Americans are qualified to be (a competent) President. Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 06:52:02 PM »

Coincidentally, about one tenth of one percent of Americans are qualified to be (a competent) President. Tongue

Nice try. Name the capital of Moldova. In any event, America wants to believe that our Founders were other than a bunch of skeptical deists - children of the enlightenment.  Our nation was founded during a window of secularism -  which later faded away.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 06:53:45 PM »

And she thinks junk science like creationism should be taught in schools?  No wonder the clownservatives love her.   She's dumb, just like Bush.

*shrugs shoulders*   Oh well.  Look at the bright side:  at least McCain didn't pick the flip-flopping mormon.    And she's pretty hot.  I'd totally pound that.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 06:55:49 PM »

Nowhere in that quote did she say they "wrote" the pledge.

However, I can see the attack ads already:

Sarah Palin does not know that "under God" was added to the pledge of allegiance n the 1950's... is she ready to lead?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 06:56:27 PM »

The "Under God" part came from the Eisenhower administration, but the pledge itself was composed in 1892. And it didn't look like the pledge kids used to recite in school in any case:

I pledge allegiance to my Flag,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

It was composed to try to reunite the US after the divisions of the Civil War and Reconstruction. Source

So, yes, Palin spoke in error. But it was a well-meant error.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 06:56:41 PM »

And she thinks junk science like creationism should be taught in schools?  No wonder the clownservatives love her.   She's dumb, just like Bush.

*shrugs shoulders*   Oh well.  Look at the bright side:  at least McCain didn't pick the flip-flopping mormon.    And she's pretty hot.  I'd totally pound that.

Borat: Will she let me make a rape on her?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 06:59:36 PM »

Not sure if this is serious or not...

I'm no Palin supporter but why is basic knowledge of the Pledge of Allegiance relevant to how she'd run this country? 

If someone is going to be 2nd in line for the Presidency in just over 2 years, they should be able to get the facts straight. I'm sure she had staffers she could have had fact-check the response.

BTW, this would be my response if I was running for office:

"I would work the restore the pledge to the more rhythmically pleasing original version written in the late 1800s by a clergyman by removing the under god portion"
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 07:09:02 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2008, 07:10:54 PM by Torie »

I am not sure that would work even in Berkeley, which probably wants to sh**t can the pledge in its entirety. Back to the drawing board! 

The black clouds and the rain just hit NO by the way, per the webcam I am looking at. They are mean looking buggers.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 07:38:10 PM »

LOL!

Nowhere in that statement did Palin declare the founding fathers wrote the Pledge.  She could simply be referring to the Pledge's reference to God, which the founding fathers used repeatedly in the Declaration of Independence:

next...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 07:47:05 PM »

Nice try. Name the capital of Moldova.

Chisnau. I knew that immediately without looking it up.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 07:47:19 PM »

I'm pretty happy that this is the best the Democrats can do. I'd rather her not know when under God was added them think there are 57 states in the US like Obama thinks. Seriously most of us know how many states are in the country.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 07:47:33 PM »

From the Declaration of Independence:

"the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them,"

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights"

"with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence,"

It obviously was good enough for our Founding Fathers, if not for partisan hacks (I would say "Democratic hacks," but a Democrat wrote it).

I got a shout out too as,  "the merciless Indian savages."  But, of course, a Democrat did write it.  Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 07:49:28 PM »

Perhaps we should change the tread title to "The poster formerly known as Jfern thinks the Declaration of Independence wasn't written by the Founding Fathers."
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 07:58:18 PM »

Perhaps we should change the tread title to "The poster formerly known as Jfern thinks the Declaration of Independence wasn't written by the Founding Fathers."
Wow, that was so insightful that I briefly swooned with fanatical respect for your utter nonsense.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 07:59:05 PM »

Then again, every politician talks about God. The issue is whether or not using theologically inspired language in a document is the same thing as using religion in a public ritual.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 08:04:06 PM »

I see nothing noteworthy here.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2008, 08:19:56 PM »

Wow, that was so insightful that I briefly swooned with fanatical respect for your utter nonsense.

I believe she said that the words "under God," or some similar derivation, were good enough for the Founding Fathers.  They very clearly were good enough.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 08:21:37 PM »

I believe she said that the words "under God," or some similar derivation, were good enough for the Founding Fathers.  They very clearly were good enough.

Maybe. It's not worth talking about her inability to be a good stateswoman, its about her politics, really. She is EXACTLY like George W. Bush in terms of policy.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008, 08:23:45 PM »

Maybe. It's not worth talking about her inability to be a good stateswoman, its about her politics, really. She is EXACTLY like George W. Bush in terms of policy.

I doubt that you could reach that conclusion based on anything posted of this thread.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2008, 09:33:54 PM »

I love it.  So far Palin's nomination has inspired such profound and insightful threads as, "she likes Buchanan" (as if that's a bad thing), "she isn't qualified" (as if she's a foreigner or under 35), "Would you do her" (then again, that's always requisite on this forum--and for the record, I would.  I would do her Under God, With Liberty and Justice for all), "is she a teetotaller" (probably typed by a poster with a joint in one hand and a glass of Jack and Coke on the rocks in the other), "the guy named after a math class is probably her grandson" (as if a forty-something woman has a high-school grandson), "she favors teaching creationism in class" (offered by a poster who never questioned any authority so long as it was one with whom he agrees), "she gives her children funny names" (as if anyone gives their children names based on whether posters here think they're cool), "do you think any one on election day will know it's a chick" (as if the name Sarah isn't a dead give-away), and now "she mentions the Founding Fathers in a response to the pledge" (as if that somehow equates to her stating that they wrote the prepositional phrase.)

So much for the mutual pledge to keep this contest clean.  Let's just hope Obama's minions and McCain's minions are slumming here, so they can get some good ideas about how to sling mud and keep this election interesting.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 09:34:25 PM »

How embarrassed are you right now? These have been some real quality attacks on Palin, eh?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies