Reshuffle!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:21:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Reshuffle!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reshuffle!  (Read 1919 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2004, 04:43:35 PM »

Milburn back in the Cabinet (Minister-Without-Portfolio) and Alan Johnson replaces Smith at Work&Pensions (and is the first ex-Union leader to become a Cabinet Minister for 40 years).
Meanwhile McCartney stays on as Labour Chairman.
Overall a big victory for the Unions.

Meanwhile Howard has reshuffled his Shadow Cabinet... and "The Vulcan" (John Redwood. A far-right blast from the past) is back... as "Shadow Privatisation Deregulation Secretary"... a post that doesn't exist in the real Government.
Polkergeist

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 10:32:18 PM »

Hey Al,

What is Redwood's political status at the moment ?

I rember two things about him, He ran against Major for the Tory leadership in 95 and lost badly and he wrote a book about the UK ditiching Europe and going towards the US "Stars and Strife" in the late 90's but since then what has happened to him (until this promotion?) and is he still considered leadership material ?
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 05:05:50 AM »

I still say that the reshuffle should have been more wide ranging, Smith, McCartney and Hoon should have been dumped with Hain moving to be Party Chairman and remaining Welsh Sectary, Milburn should then have been made Minister without Portfolio and deputy Party Chairman. Hain could have been replaced by Ben Bradshaw as the leader of the House, Reid could have replaced Hoon and Benn should have replaced Reid as Health Sectary. I agree that Johnson is ideal for work and pensions and I’m glad he got it but with Benn moved to Health Milliband should have gone to international development while Twigg and Cooper should have been promoted at the more junior level IMHO.

But I agree that the Unions come out of this pretty strong while Brown looks a little bit weaker, but overall its neither the disaster the media would like to portray it as nor is it a master stroke that shifts the dead wood and promotes the rising stars… ah well…    
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 09:55:49 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2004, 10:02:29 AM by Sec. Treasury. Ben »

Al.

Kim Howles' been given Johnson's old job...

…and Tom Watson has been lifted from the backbenches to become a government whip.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 11:54:35 AM »

Al.

Kim Howles' been given Johnson's old job...

…and Tom Watson has been lifted from the backbenches to become a government whip.

Kim Howells for Cabinet soon? Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 11:56:48 AM »

Hey Al,

What is Redwood's political status at the moment ?

I rember two things about him, He ran against Major for the Tory leadership in 95 and lost badly and he wrote a book about the UK ditiching Europe and going towards the US "Stars and Strife" in the late 90's but since then what has happened to him (until this promotion?) and is he still considered leadership material ?

He's about as unpopular as it gets (except with the Tory right, who adore him) and is regarded as a far-right nutcase... he's most famous for two things:

1. Looking like a Vulcan
2. Not knowing the words of the Welsh National Anthem (he was Secretery of State for Wales (despite being English and with a seat in Berkshire...) and he was caught on camera mouthing it like a goldfish!)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies