Obama Says He Has More Natural Disaster Experience Than Palin... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:19:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama Says He Has More Natural Disaster Experience Than Palin... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama Says He Has More Natural Disaster Experience Than Palin...  (Read 4840 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: September 02, 2008, 02:44:51 PM »

A governor, in a state with extreme weather, for one winter, has more disaster experience than Obama.

The flood is a valid natural disaster, but I don't think "Alaska is cold" entails much emergency reaction.  (Although maybe the Governor has a role in dealing with freeze-outs in rural villages?)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »

cinyc,

Has there been a state-managed natural disaster in Alaska during her governorship?  I'm trying to Google it, and haven't found anything, but honestly I don't know what to Google.

I think this is a lame thing to debate, but my goal this week is to learn more about Alaska Tongue
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 04:28:36 PM »

cinyc,

Has there been a state-managed natural disaster in Alaska during her governorship?  I'm trying to Google it, and haven't found anything, but honestly I don't know what to Google.

I think this is a lame thing to debate, but my goal this week is to learn more about Alaska Tongue

I'm not sure what you mean by state managed.  Things are not necessarily that simple.

The state coordinates with local governments and the federal government in disaster preparedness and relief.  For example, the Alaska Department of Forestry is responsible for forest fire protection in the most populated parts of Alaska, but no doubt coordinates with federal and local authorities to put out fires (or let them burn out, depending on the fire plan).  Local borough or city authorities may be first responders during flooding, but the state can pitch in with the National Guard, State Trooper and other assistance, if necessary, and coordinate with the local and federal authorities to bring greater aid.  The U.S. Coast Guard may be closer to a remote Aleutian Island in order to coordinate an evacuation when a volcano erupts, but the Alaska Volcano Institute which watches Alaska's volcanoes, is a joint federal-state project.

It's not that simple - which is one of the reasons why blaming President Bush for the Katrina response while ignoring Governor Blanco and Mayor Nagin's significant role is bad partisan politics.

I don't think there's any question that Governor Palin has experience directly dealing with natural disasters while Obama, Biden and yes, even John McCain, do not.  She's signed disaster declarations - and can prove it.

Obama stuck his foot in his mouth here, if you ask me.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies