What if Obama had an umarried, pregnant, teenage daughter?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:33:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  What if Obama had an umarried, pregnant, teenage daughter?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What if Obama had an umarried, pregnant, teenage daughter?  (Read 2087 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 02:11:09 AM »

I guess this is a thread hijack, but I for one am indignant that this large government has taken away my slaves!  If only we had split into two countries.

Since you appear to be another one here who is ignorant on the issue. I'll say goodbye and leave you to revel in your ignorance.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 02:13:10 AM »

I guess this is a thread hijack, but I for one am indignant that this large government has taken away my slaves!  If only we had split into two countries.
Since you appear to be another one here who is ignorant on the issue. I'll say goodbye and leave you to revel in your ignorance.

I've actually published a relatively successful book related to the American Civil War, so alright.  I don't need to argue with a neoconfederate either, so I guess we should each go our respective ways.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 02:13:41 AM »

*clap* *clap* *clap*

Guys, let's try and have an intelligent, reasonable discussion.  If partisan bickering remarks occur, I am going to lock this thread.  I've done it before, it's really easy.   I know the premise of this thread is controversial and slightly partisan, but please don't kill my thread.  If not one reasonable reply occurs in the next 5, this thread is going to be deleted or locked.

Would Obama be treated the same as Palin?  Would it be fair?  Is it different for a black man to have a pregnant, unmarried, teenage daughter than a white female?  Is it justified?
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 02:16:11 AM »

Sorry.  When someone comes in and calls me a "moron," it's kind of irritating.

Re the topic at hand, it might have been more of a stigma for Obama, but I don't think it could have possibly gotten more press than the Palin situation did.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 02:24:52 AM »

Re the topic at hand, it might have been more of a stigma for Obama, but I don't think it could have possibly gotten more press than the Palin situation did.

Did it receive that much press?  I turned on the news for three hours and browed back and forth between FOX, MSNBC, and CNN and I didn't see one report of this.  I saw reports about Palin and her hiring a private lawyer to defend her in troopergate.  Drudge covered it in a red link, but it's shoved off to the side and it's hard to see.  I mean, McCain intentionally released this tidbit at the same time as a hurricane for a reason.

I've had people call me all kinds of things recently.  If I post a joke that someone doesn't get, they call me a partisan prick, it's the stupid ways of this forum sometimes.  Gotta learn to figure out who to put on ignore.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 02:26:04 AM »

I've actually published a relatively successful book related to the American Civil War, so alright.  I don't need to argue with a neoconfederate either, so I guess we should each go our respective ways.

I really doubt you did, provide proof? And no, I'm not a neoconfederate, so you fail.
perdedor

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2008, 03:17:00 AM »

JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 11:38:46 AM »

We've already had one or two posters here refer to Michelle Obama as his "ghetto wife".  FWIW.

The only one I remember was "ghetto booty."  I suggested Googling "badunkadunk" to explain it.

Search for "ghetto wife" in the forum search.  You'll find it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 12:10:01 PM »

I think he'd be forced to drop out too.

I mean, there's all kinds of hypocrisy everywhere in the race.  It's not like McCain could lecture black fathers on not doing a good enough job in America.  Obama could get away with forgetting something obvious while McCain might be accused of having a "senior moment."

I just find it sort of profound that it's not [rightly] a big deal for Palin.

Maybe, but I don't think so. 

Among those who do care about these things, the only difference is that there might be more discussion about whether the girl will terminate the pregnancy.  That line of questioning is strikingly absent from all discussions regarding Palin, but they might not be if it were Obama's daughter.   And, frankly, in Obama's daughter's case it might be handled secretly enough and early enough that the pregnancy goes unnoticed by the public anyway.  It is Palin's family's pro-life position that really makes the difference.  Not her gender.  Not her ethnicity.  And because of her position the girl is largely regarded as heroic for having the baby.  The pro-life crowd is differently, and more intensely, motivated than the abortion rights crowd.  I cannot imagine that the heroic aspect of a girl choosing to abort the child would be emphasized by an abortion rights crowd the way that of a girl choosing to have a baby clearly is by the abortion opponents.  As nearly as I can tell, it is for them the only way.  And if Obama's daughter did choose to have the baby, it may be the case that there are fifty-million plus  cultural conservatives who were just waiting to be told that she made the right decision and who become overjoyed.  They would probably argue that any life as valuable as any other, but because it would not have involved a candidate under any serious consideration to begin with I don't think votes would be swung by the decision.  That's just a guess, though.

Among the media types, most of whom are Democrats (this is demonstrable), it would probably be played down.  Among those brutes (O'Reilly, Olbermann, Nancy Grace) whose diatribes center on making sure you understand things the way you ought to, the types of things that are said would largely be the same, it would just be the Olbermann of the world saying it instead of Sean Hannities of the world.  The text would largely read the same.  There would be massive news coverage of the story, just as in Palin's case, and there would be nasty threads about Obama's family, just as there are those about Palin's family here.  And some would say that it is now clear that Obama was a poor choice for the Democrats, just as many are now saying that Palin was a poor choice for the Republicans. 

Among those of use who don't much give a damn one way or the other, and who think that far too much media attention is given to Palin's approaching grandmotherhood--I think there may be more of us than the sum of the other two groups, but we are less vocal--I do not think there's going to be any difference.  This I think goes for both the subset of McCain supporters who feel that way and the subset of Obama supporters who feel that way.  There's always hypocrisy, but the result would be the same. 
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 12:11:22 PM »

I really doubt you did, provide proof? And no, I'm not a neoconfederate, so you fail.

No thanks.  I don't need to reveal my identity here.

Re: neoconfederate, from Wikipedia, fwiw: "The term neo-Confederate describes a political and/or cultural movement based mainly in the U.S. Southern states that is characterized by a celebration of the history of the Confederate States of America (CSA) and support for the CSA's aims. Neo-Confederate issues may include states rights, such as nullification (in which state laws override federal laws), and a pro-Confederate view of history, particularly regarding the American Civil War and the role of slavery in that war. Some groups in the movement support full future secession, while others focus on preserving their image of southern heritage."  That sounds a lot like you.
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2008, 12:13:08 PM »

Did it receive that much press?  I turned on the news for three hours and browed back and forth between FOX, MSNBC, and CNN and I didn't see one report of this.  I saw reports about Palin and her hiring a private lawyer to defend her in troopergate.  Drudge covered it in a red link, but it's shoved off to the side and it's hard to see.  I mean, McCain intentionally released this tidbit at the same time as a hurricane for a reason.

I've had people call me all kinds of things recently.  If I post a joke that someone doesn't get, they call me a partisan prick, it's the stupid ways of this forum sometimes.  Gotta learn to figure out who to put on ignore.

It was a main story on both ABC's and NBC's nightly news programs.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008, 02:08:56 AM »

No thanks.  I don't need to reveal my identity here.

Ok, then I'll simply assume you're making up credentials. Not really shocking with the history of some folks on this board.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies