2nd Educational Equipment Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:13:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  2nd Educational Equipment Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: 2nd Educational Equipment Act  (Read 10957 times)
migrendel
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2004, 07:54:41 PM »

I don't see how making sure that young people get a proper education is as picayune as being suggested, and I furthermore fail to see how $150 billion is that large of a tax increase. After it's distributed, it's not that much more per head.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2004, 07:56:37 PM »

Too bad our Treasurer Ben isn't giving us any input. He is the money man...
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2004, 07:56:51 PM »

I don't see how making sure that young people get a proper education is as picayune as being suggested, and I furthermore fail to see how $150 billion is that large of a tax increase. After it's distributed, it's not that much more per head.

Go look up how much the US spends per student on education.

Then look up how much then rest of the industrialized world spends.

Then try and honestly say that money is the problem.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2004, 08:20:48 PM »

"If you think Education is expensive, think about the cost of ignorance"

The United States education system (I'm assuming real-life facts about the US apply to Atlasia) produces children whose test scores don't match up to other countries with the same tools we have. (Basically, other 1st-world nations)

You say the money could be better spent. I assume you want it poured into the military. We spend vastly more than any other nation when it comes to the military, and yet, are we vastly safer than any other country?

Anyway, this bill passed, and with such resounding force that even a Presidential Veto can't stop it.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2004, 08:24:34 PM »

A big problem is that American culture does not value education and scorns the educated as "snobs" or "elitists", but I don't see how extra money for supplies will hurt anything, especially if properly financed via tax increases.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2004, 08:27:26 PM »

A big problem is that American culture does not value education and scorns the educated as "snobs" or "elitists", but I don't see how extra money for supplies will hurt anything, especially if properly financed via tax increases.

Yes, all we hear about are those Liberal Elitist Snobs up at Yale and Harvard.

Oh, what would we do without them.

The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2004, 08:30:17 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2004, 12:12:10 AM by John Ford »

"If you think Education is expensive, think about the cost of ignorance"

The United States education system (I'm assuming real-life facts about the US apply to Atlasia) produces children whose test scores don't match up to other countries with the same tools we have. (Basically, other 1st-world nations)

You say the money could be better spent. I assume you want it poured into the military. We spend vastly more than any other nation when it comes to the military, and yet, are we vastly safer than any other country?

Anyway, this bill passed, and with such resounding force that even a Presidential Veto can't stop it.

Well, since you bring it up, my Defense Department stopped a genocide at the cost of less than $5 billion, so yeah I think its safe to say it would be better spent on the military.

In any case, this bill isn't about educating kids.  Its about pork disguised as compassion.

Here's how you SHOULD be thinking about this bill.  Find out what you need.  Then determine what it costs.  Then spend that amount.  What you have done is raise taxes by $150 billion without ever asking how much money you actually need to do the things you want to do.

Can a veto stop it?  I think we need only four votes to sustain a veto.  StevenNick, States, and nation are three.  Thaqt means all the president has to do is persuade one person to change his vote.  It won't be that hard, since six Senators voted for this bill without knowing how radical it actually was.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2004, 12:10:15 AM »

I encourage president Kennedy to veto this bill.  I promise to do everything I can to make sure that veto stands.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2004, 12:14:51 AM »

I encourage president Kennedy to veto this bill.  I promise to do everything I can to make sure that veto stands.

The President will be vetoing this bill.

These Senators don't have the slightest consept of how much money they're spending.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2004, 03:19:04 AM »

I have a full concept, John.

As a percentage of GDP, America spends less then it does on defence.

That, no matter how much money the percentage is, is plainly unacceptable.

Sure, $50 billion woul;d fix the holes, but the only way to improvwe the system is to fund it, alot, and more then historically was done.

Maybe the school you went to was alright. Maybe the school Akno went to was alright. but don't tell me for a second that all the schools in Flint are OK, or in Mississipii or in Pasadena or the Bronx-because they're not.

$150 billion dollars can, and quite possibly will, make our education system the best in the world. It doesn't need to be spent at once, but an extra $25 billion every year for 6 years will strongly help our youth.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2004, 06:19:54 AM »

I declared I would veto it, however it has received seven votes so my veto would not stand.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2004, 07:39:11 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2004, 07:41:36 AM by Senator Akno21 »

The President will be vetoing this bill.

These Senators don't have the slightest consept of how much money they're spending.

Think about the students at many high schools in Flint, MI, who haven't had a home track meet in 40 years, even though they frequently win county championships. Their track is so bad, the can't have meets on it. Aren't these kids missing out on something that the rest of us get to experience? And many Senators and other officals wish to deprive them of that opportunity, the opportunity to use a computer and the internet in school, which is especially important, considering many don't have a computer in their homes, the opportunity to have a home sporting event, the opportunity to go to the school library and see some new books on the shelves. That is sickening.

You shouldn't be punished for being poor. Many children in Atlasia are being punished. Public schools in the rich suburbs provide students with a better chance to learn than those who go to school in an inner-city or out on a farm. That is not equality. That is not fair. If we do a better job of educating our youth, they could grow up to be something better than a server at McDonalds, they could do something with their life.

Secretary Ford, would you rather have a nation that is dumb as a doornob but has a very little tiny bit better military than otherwise; or a nation that is as well educated as Japan, and has a very little tiny bit worse off military?

The cost of ignorance is higher than the cost of education will ever be.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2004, 08:57:14 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2004, 09:00:51 AM by Senator Harry, Acting PPT »

Mr. Ford, the education of our youth is perhaps the most important thing the nation can spend money on.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2004, 10:38:06 AM »

Has this act officialy passed yet?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2004, 10:42:06 AM »

It has seven votes in favour so it cannot be vetoed. That is a yes.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2004, 03:14:16 PM »

It CAN be vetoed.  If the senate wishes, we can work to override your veto, but there is no gaurantee that that will happen.  PLEASE veto this bill, John.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2004, 03:20:49 PM »

Just because it got 7 votes doesn't mean you can't veto it.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2004, 03:21:17 PM »

It CAN be vetoed.  If the senate wishes, we can work to override your veto, but there is no gaurantee that that will happen.  PLEASE veto this bill, John.

I have declared that I veto it. However, it has seven votes in favour. Doesn't that make it a veto-proof majority?
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2004, 03:40:51 PM »

Thank you, Mr. President.  You have made a decision that is in the best interest of the forum.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2004, 03:44:00 PM »

I motion to begin a vote on the overriding of our president's veto.
Do I hear a second?  If so, we can commence voting.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2004, 03:45:23 PM »

I have declared that I veto it. However, it has seven votes in favour. Doesn't that make it a veto-proof majority?

Upon a review of the Constitution, Article One specifies that any bill the President vetoes has no effect until the legislature OVERRIDES his veto by 2/3 majority.  That being the case, it is the conclusion of Caulder Consultancies' research team that the High Court would not conclude that this is a law UNTIL they do--so a second vote would be formally required.

Of course, we advise all parties to pay heed to the Attorney General's assessment first and foremost, and we cannot guarantee any prediction of the Court's favor in any legal contest.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2004, 04:25:38 PM »

I motion to begin a vote on the overriding of our president's veto.
Do I hear a second?  If so, we can commence voting.

I second. We must override the veto, and help our underpriviliged youth.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2004, 04:30:54 PM »

Mr. Ford, the education of our youth is perhaps the most important thing the nation can spend money on.

If its so important, then why didn't the Senate publish a single study on this issue before they passed the bill?  Never was a serious inquiry as to our needs made.

It is easy to throw money at a problem.  It takes actual effort to be thoughtful and diagnose flaws within the system and then prescribe solutions.  This is a bill that has no thought put into it.

Find me some sources and some analysis of how much money is needed before telling me that money is the problem.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2004, 04:43:23 PM »

Nay.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2004, 04:55:34 PM »

The vote is 1-0 against, and other senators may begin voting now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies