2nd Educational Equipment Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:44:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  2nd Educational Equipment Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2nd Educational Equipment Act  (Read 10991 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« on: September 08, 2004, 07:21:35 PM »

Section 1.

A. All public school buildings with serious structural damage shall either be renovated or rebuilt within 5 years of the school being declared damaged, by an independent group.

Section 2.

B. All public schools must be provided with enough computers to maintain a 10:1 ratio of student to computer. The computers must have internet access, and all staff members will be trained in how to operate them.

C. All public schools will be provided with new textbooks every ten years.

Section 3.

D. The payment shall be done in this order.
1. Raise income taxes on those making over $200,000 per year, by 1 to 3 %.
2. Cut back on funding for new district offices, limiting the amount that can be built per year.
3. Cutting back (Shorten by up to 25% or lessen amount by about one per year) on federally standardized tests or making them computerized. Not having to print the tests on paper would save millions.

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 07:24:49 PM »

I move to proceed directly to voting, as the bulk of this Act is the same as the orginal, which has already been debated.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 04:32:14 PM »

That's four, plus me, who proposed it. So can we open voting now?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 06:05:31 AM »

Yea.

It's now 5-1.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 01:35:27 PM »

6-1.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 02:46:55 PM »

Now I guess we just wait for voting to finish. States will vote Nay, Nation likely nay, and Hughento yay.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 08:20:48 PM »

"If you think Education is expensive, think about the cost of ignorance"

The United States education system (I'm assuming real-life facts about the US apply to Atlasia) produces children whose test scores don't match up to other countries with the same tools we have. (Basically, other 1st-world nations)

You say the money could be better spent. I assume you want it poured into the military. We spend vastly more than any other nation when it comes to the military, and yet, are we vastly safer than any other country?

Anyway, this bill passed, and with such resounding force that even a Presidential Veto can't stop it.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 08:27:26 PM »

A big problem is that American culture does not value education and scorns the educated as "snobs" or "elitists", but I don't see how extra money for supplies will hurt anything, especially if properly financed via tax increases.

Yes, all we hear about are those Liberal Elitist Snobs up at Yale and Harvard.

Oh, what would we do without them.

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 07:39:11 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2004, 07:41:36 AM by Senator Akno21 »

I encourage president Kennedy to veto this bill.  I promise to do everything I can to make sure that veto stands.

The President will be vetoing this bill.

These Senators don't have the slightest consept of how much money they're spending.

Think about the students at many high schools in Flint, MI, who haven't had a home track meet in 40 years, even though they frequently win county championships. Their track is so bad, the can't have meets on it. Aren't these kids missing out on something that the rest of us get to experience? And many Senators and other officals wish to deprive them of that opportunity, the opportunity to use a computer and the internet in school, which is especially important, considering many don't have a computer in their homes, the opportunity to have a home sporting event, the opportunity to go to the school library and see some new books on the shelves. That is sickening.

You shouldn't be punished for being poor. Many children in Atlasia are being punished. Public schools in the rich suburbs provide students with a better chance to learn than those who go to school in an inner-city or out on a farm. That is not equality. That is not fair. If we do a better job of educating our youth, they could grow up to be something better than a server at McDonalds, they could do something with their life.

Secretary Ford, would you rather have a nation that is dumb as a doornob but has a very little tiny bit better military than otherwise; or a nation that is as well educated as Japan, and has a very little tiny bit worse off military?

The cost of ignorance is higher than the cost of education will ever be.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 10:38:06 AM »

Has this act officialy passed yet?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2004, 04:25:38 PM »

I motion to begin a vote on the overriding of our president's veto.
Do I hear a second?  If so, we can commence voting.

I second. We must override the veto, and help our underpriviliged youth.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2004, 04:57:29 PM »

Yea.

I urge my fellow Senators to not be swayed by the urging of President Kennedy and Secretary Ford. Help our youth! Even the playing field.  
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 03:03:40 PM »

Why, you voted YEA on the original vote.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 06:05:30 PM »

I'll "fix" the funding. Any ideas on how to fix the funding. I figure I could lower the tax burden, but that still might not be enough.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies