LMAO Obama Calls Penn State The "Nittaly Lions"!!!!!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:49:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  LMAO Obama Calls Penn State The "Nittaly Lions"!!!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: LMAO Obama Calls Penn State The "Nittaly Lions"!!!!!!  (Read 20771 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 08:44:10 PM »

I don't understand. Could someone explain this to me?

Nittany Lions = correct.  Nittaly Lions = incorrect.

This is of roughly the same order of magnitude as Kerry's calling the Green Bay Packers' Lambeau Field "Lambert Field" (like the St. Louis airport) in 2004.

IIRC, he lost the state.

I knew the son of the  Chairman of Cambria County GOP Committee in 1964.  He vividly remembered his mother telling Nelson Rockefeller to pronounce the name of the county the way the locals do, so that "Cam" (short "a") rhymes with "jam," not "Cam" (long "a"), rhymes with "lame."  To do it would have cost him votes in the county.

I saw Dwight Evans make a similar mistake in the Democratic gubernatorial primary debate in 1994, except he called it "Cambridge County."

Too bad you don't RC. Smiley

RC?

You said IIRC, which stands for If I Recall Correctly.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2008, 08:44:53 PM »

lol so you think 4,000 voters in Centre County, most of whom are liberals excited for Obama will be so disgusted by this slip up they will vote for McCain. Roll Eyes
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2008, 08:48:23 PM »

This is of roughly the same order of magnitude as Kerry's calling the Green Bay Packers' Lambeau Field "Lambert Field" (like the St. Louis airport) in 2004.

IIRC, he lost the state.

I knew the son of the  Chairman of Cambria County GOP Committee in 1964.  He vividly remembered his mother telling Nelson Rockefeller to pronounce the name of the county the way the locals do, so that "Cam" (short "a") rhymes with "jam," not "Cam" (long "a"), rhymes with "lame."  To do it would have cost him votes in the county.

I saw Dwight Evans make a similar mistake in the Democratic gubernatorial primary debate in 1994, except he called it "Cambridge County."

RC?

There's no doubt in my mind that Bush was the true winner of Wisconsin.  There were mass reports across that state on Election Day '04 of GOP headquarters getting broken into and all their "get out the vote" lists destroyed/stolen and hundreds of Republican-sponsored elderly transportation vans having their tires slashed.  IMO, statewide there were probably at least 12,000 votes lost from those tampering attempts.
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2008, 08:48:34 PM »

lol so you think 4,000 voters in Centre County, most of whom are liberals excited for Obama will be so disgusted by this slip up they will vote for McCain. Roll Eyes

I was being sarcastic... I really have no idea how many votes this will cost him...But tell me did
not LOL  when your first saw the video of him saying  Nittaly Lions.....I thought it was hilarious
Third Party
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 08:48:44 PM »

And this video is even more damning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfealLrWLIY

McCain thinks Putin is the president of Germany.
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 08:52:37 PM »

And this video is even more damning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfealLrWLIY

McCain thinks Putin is the president of Germany.

LMAO !! I gotta be" fair and balanced " WTF was McCain thinking?  Putin the president of Germany??

I think the gaffes on both sides are hilarious......
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2008, 08:53:54 PM »

IIRC, he lost the state.

I knew the son of the  Chairman of Cambria County GOP Committee in 1964.  He vividly remembered his mother telling Nelson Rockefeller to pronounce the name of the county the way the locals do, so that "Cam" (short "a") rhymes with "jam," not "Cam" (long "a"), rhymes with "lame."  To do it would have cost him votes in the county.

RC?

There's no doubt in my mind that Bush was the true winner of Wisconsin.  There were mass reports across that state on Election Day '04 of GOP headquarters getting broken into and all their "get out the vote" lists destroyed/stolen and hundreds of Republican-sponsored elderly transportation vans having their tires slashed.  IMO, statewide there were probably at least 12,000 votes lost from those tampering attempts.

Then the Republicans should've pursued it and prosecuted it. If they didn't, that to me is pretty strong evidence that it either didn't happen or at the very least wouldn't have swung the state (at least, not after also factoring in Republican fraud).

Not saying that your assumption isn't true, but I believe in innocent until proven guilty, and would say the same about arguments that Ohio 2004 or Florida 2000 was stolen as well (I don't think Florida was stolen, but I think that the intent of the majority of voters who cast ballots was clearly for Gore, with ballot snafus causing the official result to reflect otherwise).
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2008, 08:54:25 PM »

LMAO

LMAO

LMAO

LMAO
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2008, 08:54:49 PM »

The paying membership of the Penn State Alumni Association is 160,742, with maybe about an equal amount not paying.  A number of non affiliated fans.  Probably 2/3 of that live in PA, most are probably registered voters.  Most will make up their minds on other issues, but it could affect a few thousand votes.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2008, 08:55:32 PM »

IIRC, he lost the state.

RC?

Then the Republicans should've pursued it and prosecuted it. If they didn't, that to me is pretty strong evidence that it either didn't happen or at the very least wouldn't have swung the state (at least, not after also factoring in Republican fraud).

Not saying that your assumption isn't true, but I believe in innocent until proven guilty, and would say the same about arguments that Ohio 2004 or Florida 2000 was stolen as well (I don't think Florida was stolen, but I think that the intent of the majority of voters who cast ballots was clearly for Gore, with ballot snafus causing the official result to reflect otherwise).

Florida 2000 for Gore I think is also the truth, but Ohio 2004 was too massive of a margin by Bush (110,000 votes he won by or so) for any practical fraud to have taken place.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2008, 08:55:58 PM »

The paying membership of the Penn State Alumni Association is 160,742, with maybe about an equal amount not paying.  A number of non affiliated fans.  Probably 2/3 of that live in PA, most are probably registered voters.  Most will make up their minds on other issues, but it could affect a few thousand votes.

You think a few thousand people will change their votes because of this?

Srlsy?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2008, 08:56:09 PM »

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=FQLTekcur-E

Am  i dreaming Is this really one of two guys who will be president?  I feel like I'm in a episode of the twilight zone...

What a dufus ....................

I honestly don't expect Presidents to know the names of all the schools and their mascots off the top of their heads.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2008, 08:58:55 PM »

IIRC, he lost the state.

I knew the son of the  Chairman of Cambria County GOP Committee in 1964.  He vividly remembered his mother telling Nelson Rockefeller to pronounce the name of the county the way the locals do, so that "Cam" (short "a") rhymes with "jam," not "Cam" (long "a"), rhymes with "lame."  To do it would have cost him votes in the county.

RC?

Actually, I do recall it, because a friend of from Cambria County called me and said, "Who's the black guy."  She was actually laughing through it.

(Dwight Evans is an African American State Rep who came in second that year; he actually had an impressive plan that was quite good, and moderate.)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2008, 08:58:57 PM »

Well, Bush referred to the "Iron Range" in 2004 as the "Iron Ridge" on a campaign stop in Duluth.

That didn't go over too well... but they were gonna vote for Kerry by a 2-to-1 margin anyway.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2008, 09:02:24 PM »

Don't say that to a

PENN STATE

fan. Wink

(I'm actually not one, but it probably is a few thousand votes to McCain)
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2008, 09:03:43 PM »

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=

Am  i dreaming Is this really one of two guys who will be president?  I feel like I'm in a episode of the twilight zone...

What a dufus ....................

I honestly don't expect Presidents to know the names of all the schools and their mascots off the top of their heads.

Yea i agree Its just so funny seeing Obama trying to fit in with the white working class in PA..
Remember him bowling..That is going to be one for the history books...

You know i was watching Biden talking to  a crowd today I think he was in Scranton? He just looked so natural and at ease speaking with the folks..

I honestly think Obama hasn't been around blue collar white working class people much in his life before running for president..That's why he has trouble connecting with them...

If this ticket were reversed  Biden/Obama i think it would stand a MUCH  better chance of winning in Nov
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2008, 09:09:34 PM »

Well, Bush referred to the "Iron Range" in 2004 as the "Iron Ridge" on a campaign stop in Duluth.

That didn't go over too well... but they were gonna vote for Kerry by a 2-to-1 margin anyway.

In 1992 Bush the elder participated in the annual Mackinac Bridge walk on Labor Day and referred to how the Bridge connects the US and Canada.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2008, 09:15:24 PM »

Yea i agree Its just so funny seeing Obama trying to fit in with the white working class in PA..
Remember him bowling..That is going to be one for the history books...

You know i was watching Biden talking to  a crowd today I think he was in Scranton? He just looked so natural and at ease speaking with the folks..

I honestly think Obama hasn't been around blue collar white working class people much in his life before running for president..That's why he has trouble connecting with them...

If this ticket were reversed  Biden/Obama i think it would stand a MUCH  better chance of winning in Nov

You've hit on it, and this doesn't help.

I've said to someone recently that I don't think Obama is "elitist" but I do think he's "insular."  She was from Central PA and said that he was definitely "elitist."
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2008, 09:26:04 PM »

(I'm actually not one, but it probably is a few thousand votes to McCain)

Do people really make that much of ado about little things?

Dave
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2008, 09:27:42 PM »

My thoughts exactly, or Ted Kennedy introducing the home run champs, "Mike McGwire and Sammy Suezer"
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2008, 09:35:51 PM »

Anyone else agree with JJ that slightly mispronouncing part of a local sports team's name will result in "a few thousand" voters switching from Obama to McCain?

To me, that's one of the most ridiculous things I've heard on the forum in weeks.  How many Penn State fans will even be made aware of this mispronunciation?  And what percent of those that know are undecided?  And what percent of undecided voters will make their decision purely based on this statement?

I think we're looking at 5-6 voters, realistically.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2008, 09:40:41 PM »

Anyone else agree with JJ that slightly mispronouncing part of a local sports team's name will result in "a few thousand" voters switching from Obama to McCain?

To me, that's one of the most ridiculous things I've heard on the forum in weeks.  How many Penn State fans will even be made aware of this mispronunciation?  And what percent of those that know are undecided?  And what percent of undecided voters will make their decision purely based on this statement?

Agreed. Almost as ridiculous as calling Pennsylvania a tossup when McCain hasn't led in a single poll there since April.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2008, 09:42:03 PM »

Dream on.  It reinforces the "Obama is an elitist," "Obama is out of touch," "Obama isn't one of 'us,'" perceptions.  If he'd mispronounced "pizza" or "subliminal," it wouldn't have made a difference.  This does, in the worst place it could.  It's not a lot, and a few thousand votes isn't a lot, but sure didn't help.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2008, 09:42:50 PM »

Agreed. Almost as ridiculous as calling Pennsylvania a tossup when McCain hasn't led in a single poll there since April.

QFT
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2008, 09:52:46 PM »

Dream on.  It reinforces the "Obama is an elitist," "Obama is out of touch," "Obama isn't one of 'us,'" perceptions.  If he'd mispronounced "pizza" or "subliminal," it wouldn't have made a difference.  This does, in the worst place it could.  It's not a lot, and a few thousand votes isn't a lot, but sure didn't help.

What sounds more like a dream?

Option 1: This slight slip of a sports team name will not be common knowledge and only a small fraction of fans will know of it.  Of these, only a slight fraction will be swing voters.  Of these, only a small fraction will vote for McCain when they would have otherwise voted for Obama, completely based on this mispronunciation.  JJ is projecting his own beliefs onto the electorate as a whole.

Option 2: One hundred thousand fans hear of this mispronunciation, half of them are undecided voters, and ten percent of the undecided voters decide to change their vote based on this one incident, completely reinforcing the idea that Obama is an out-of-touch elitist since he doesn't exactly know every sports team's name in the country.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies