2008 vs 1988
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:52:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  2008 vs 1988
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 2008 vs 1988  (Read 6416 times)
NDN
Uganda

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 08:55:23 PM »

It seems much more like 1976 than 1988. An accomplished and widely respected Republican candidate running against a 'moderate' outsider in a time of national malaise. Of course McCain isn't an incumbent and Obama in addition to being black is considerably less experienced than Carter was.

I would not use either the words accomplished or widely respected to describe Ford in 1976. Quite the opposite actually.
Well, accomplished and respected prior to becoming President. After he pardoned Nixon he was of course a pariah, and Congress blocked a lot of his proposals. In any case it seems like the 'best' parallel I can think of. This election really is pretty unique.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 08:58:26 PM »

Similarity --  The Democrats nominate a mainstream liberal with little experience to head the ticket.  And a running mate who is highly regarded by both parties (or was, as most Republicans conveniently forget their admiration of Democrats in election years).

Difference --  The 1988 D nominee was a white guy, despite the funny name.  He somehow managed to win West Virginia.  The 2008 nominee is an uppity elitist coon African American who couldn't win West Virginia if the other ticket was Stalin/Lenin.

Actually no.  An SNL commercial parody ended with the tag line "Vote for Bush, he''s whiter."

I would call Dukakis experienced and call Obama as representing the left of the Democratic Party.

I would also question if Palin is that conservative, as opposed to libertarian.

And your point is?
Libertarian?

Yes, even on some social issues, she tends to say, "that's up to the voters."
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 09:04:38 PM »

Similarity --  The Democrats nominate a mainstream liberal with little experience to head the ticket.  And a running mate who is highly regarded by both parties (or was, as most Republicans conveniently forget their admiration of Democrats in election years).

Difference --  The 1988 D nominee was a white guy, despite the funny name.  He somehow managed to win West Virginia.  The 2008 nominee is an uppity elitist coon African American who couldn't win West Virginia if the other ticket was Stalin/Lenin.

Actually no.  An SNL commercial parody ended with the tag line "Vote for Bush, he''s whiter."

I would call Dukakis experienced and call Obama as representing the left of the Democratic Party.

And your point is?
Libertarian?

That's not my definition of libertarian Smiley
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 09:51:10 PM »

And your point is?
Libertarian?

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 09:55:05 PM »

And your point is?
Libertarian?

That is indicative of someone not willing to impose her personal views on the electorate.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 11:21:52 AM »

And your point is?
Libertarian?

That is indicative of someone not willing to impose her personal views on the electorate.

She wants to criminalize abortion, J.J.  No matter how much Ron Paul defines himself as Libertarian, that particular view is NOT Libertarian.  Ditto, Palin.

The conversation I wish the media would have with Palin is about what punishment she would prescribe for having or performing an abortion.  Perhaps that is where her Libertarianism comes into play?  Leave it up to the states?  So if Oklahoma wants to execute them...and if Vermont wants to fine them a penny...it's all good?

What are her views on drug legalization?  Warning labels on movies and music?  Taxes on oil companies? 

I'm not seeing a Libertarian here.  Just a traditional, far right conservative Republican.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 12:43:08 PM »

And your point is?
Libertarian?

When you try to answer that question, more questions come and take their place.
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2008, 04:37:34 PM »

I don't think it's like 1988 at all.

If it's an Obama landslide (or comfortable win), it's similar to 1980.

If it stays close but Obama wins narrowly, it's 1960.

If Obama loses by a substantial margin, then it may sort of resemble 1928 (although Republicans were nowhere near as unpopular in 1928 as they are this cycle -- Coolidge would probably have won reelection in '28.)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies