Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:02:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 251838 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1825 on: April 02, 2010, 11:04:42 AM »

Following Ben's bill I would like to introduce this bill Smiley

A RESOLUTION CONCERNING
    INVASIVE SPECIES-NEED FOR A STUDY IN THE Mideast Region
  WHEREAS:  For the purpose of conducting research into the dangers of invasive species in the Mideast Region.
  WHEREAS: Invasive or “alien” species have been proven to have an adverse effect in ecosystems in many cases including deaths of native species and damage to the regional economy
 WHEREAS: Species which are at present problems or may become problems include Snakehead Fish, Grass Carp, Nutria, Imported Fire Ants, Japanese Beetles, and various snakes.
BE IT RESOLVED: The Mideast Assembly shall hereby commission a study into the dangers 100 posed by various species which are invasive and alien to the Mideast region.  This study will be to look into which species pose the most danger and what the Mideast Region may do about it.

cost for this?

Likely very low, it is not a huge expenditiure.  Meanwhile some invasive species cost a huge amount of money in terms of lost production.  For instance the Kudzu plant costs $500 million dollars in lost agriculture in the nation anually, this being a rough estimate.
fighting off species is not easy to do at all and will likely cost a lot for the actual process to kick out these invasive species
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1826 on: April 02, 2010, 11:21:24 AM »

Wouldn't a reasonable compromise be to require debate and speech be included as an element in already mandatory English classes, as we have it in Sweden, where debate and speech is a part of Swedish class?

I could completely agree to that.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1827 on: April 02, 2010, 11:28:05 AM »

Following Ben's bill I would like to introduce this bill Smiley

A RESOLUTION CONCERNING
    INVASIVE SPECIES-NEED FOR A STUDY IN THE Mideast Region
  WHEREAS:  For the purpose of conducting research into the dangers of invasive species in the Mideast Region.
  WHEREAS: Invasive or “alien” species have been proven to have an adverse effect in ecosystems in many cases including deaths of native species and damage to the regional economy
 WHEREAS: Species which are at present problems or may become problems include Snakehead Fish, Grass Carp, Nutria, Imported Fire Ants, Japanese Beetles, and various snakes.
BE IT RESOLVED: The Mideast Assembly shall hereby commission a study into the dangers 100 posed by various species which are invasive and alien to the Mideast region.  This study will be to look into which species pose the most danger and what the Mideast Region may do about it.

cost for this?

Likely very low, it is not a huge expenditiure.  Meanwhile some invasive species cost a huge amount of money in terms of lost production.  For instance the Kudzu plant costs $500 million dollars in lost agriculture in the nation anually, this being a rough estimate.
fighting off species is not easy to do at all and will likely cost a lot for the actual process to kick out these invasive species

Far less than $500 Million dollars annually I'm sure.  Anyways this will simply be a study and is not yet calling for any concrete action.  The main point of this is to get the GM to put out a report.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1828 on: April 02, 2010, 01:36:57 PM »

Wouldn't a reasonable compromise be to require debate and speech be included as an element in already mandatory English classes, as we have it in Sweden, where debate and speech is a part of Swedish class?

Good idea. 3 years is massively excessive.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1829 on: April 02, 2010, 05:21:52 PM »

Good idea. 3 years is massively excessive.

i would go for that too
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1830 on: April 02, 2010, 06:25:06 PM »

I'll look at this and try to get something out before the holiday. Otherwise, I may have to do this on Wednesday.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1831 on: April 06, 2010, 04:54:24 PM »

Alright - sorry I've been inactive a bit - life got hectic.  Ben, do you have a revised version of you bill you want us to vote on (it seemed like everybody agreed that they weren't too happy with the original).
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1832 on: April 06, 2010, 06:56:39 PM »

The Return of Rhetoric Bill
Article I: Debate and speech shall be a mandatory part of the English curriculum for Mideastern students grades 9-12.
Article II: All schools that cannot afford to pay for materials in debate and speech shall receive a subsidy from the Mideastern Government.
Article III: These subsidies shall be paid for by an gasoline tax increase of 2%.
Article IV: This bill shall go into effect for the 2010-2011 school year.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1833 on: April 06, 2010, 07:47:36 PM »

what materials for debate in poor schools will cause a 2% gas tax increase?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1834 on: April 06, 2010, 07:49:08 PM »

what materials for debate in poor schools will cause a 2% gas tax increase?

Text books, resources, things like that.  If we can do it with less than 2%, let's amend it; I just needed to put a number in there.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1835 on: April 07, 2010, 01:32:04 AM »

Here is an estimate of the gasoline tax: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=101096.msg2437063#msg2437063

It is very difficult for me to estimate the impact of invasive species. The gasoline thing was slightly more reasonable to calculate and adjust.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1836 on: April 07, 2010, 03:58:39 AM »

Schools have already means to pay for their materials. There arent' scholls so poor that they can't buy some additional materials, come on.

Debate and speech are first and foremost a personal skill, tought by... human beings and practised by other human beings.

Articles II and III should be dropped.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1837 on: April 07, 2010, 09:29:56 AM »

Schools have already means to pay for their materials. There arent' scholls so poor that they can't buy some additional materials, come on.

Debate and speech are first and foremost a personal skill, tought by... human beings and practised by other human beings.

Articles II and III should be dropped.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1838 on: April 07, 2010, 01:06:19 PM »

Don't you believe it. In RL there are schools in the Chicago area so financially strapped they've cut the school week to 4 days (with no increase in the school day's length). To their tremendous credit, groups of students still come to school for the closed weekday to participate in volunteer study groups and tutoring sessions. But such laudable individual initiative doesn't make it any less a crime to deprive children in the wealthiest country on earth such basic educational needs.

That said, my biggest problem with this proposal is, as written, it apparently mandates speech class as part of the curriculum for every single year between grades 9-12. IMHO, assuming there is no opposing consensus among educators that such a requirement would unacceptably reduce necessary time teaching fundamentals like math, English, history, etc., requiring a single grading quarter/report period of speech/forensics class between 9th grade and graduation may be a decent idea. It also may be a good idea to allow dispensation for anyone with a medically certified barrier such as severe speech impediments, etc.

Finally, while such education obviously isn't free, the GM's numbers indicate a 2% gas tax is far in excess of what is necessary to properly fund this proposal.

With a bit of tinkering on these points, this could be a worthwhile proposal deserving of this body's support. Just my two cents as a Mideast citizen....
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1839 on: April 07, 2010, 02:22:35 PM »

I'm not sure where I stand on the tax increase.  On the one hand, I'd say schools are strapped for cash.  On the other hand, when we did our segment on debate in my English class, we didn't use a textbook for it.  I really don't see the need for a textbook for the debate part of the curriculum, unless Ben you have evidence that would show otherwise?

Badger, it would be part of the English curriculum, not a course of its  own.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1840 on: April 07, 2010, 02:35:14 PM »

I'm not sure where I stand on the tax increase.  On the one hand, I'd say schools are strapped for cash.  On the other hand, when we did our segment on debate in my English class, we didn't use a textbook for it.  I really don't see the need for a textbook for the debate part of the curriculum, unless Ben you have evidence that would show otherwise?

There are books available; my school used one written by two former coaches; there's also the need for research, most of which costs money.  This would help the schools that choose to actually field teams, rather than just teach it as a unit in a class.  I'm willing to remove Sections 2 and 3, if they are preventing passage of the bill.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1841 on: April 07, 2010, 02:38:20 PM »

There are books available; my school used one written by two former coaches; there's also the need for research, most of which costs money.  This would help the schools that choose to actually field teams, rather than just teach it as a unit in a class.  I'm willing to remove Sections 2 and 3, if they are preventing passage of the bill.

Books being available, and books being a necessity are two different things.  There are a lot of things available for public educators that I would deem excessive to what is necessary.  I think Sections 2 and 3 need to go.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1842 on: April 07, 2010, 02:39:06 PM »

Okay then.  I'll motion to strike sections 2 and 3.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1843 on: April 07, 2010, 03:17:43 PM »

Okay then.  I'll motion to strike sections 2 and 3.

Unless there is an objection, sections 2 and 3 will be stricken.  Are there any objections?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1844 on: April 07, 2010, 06:30:30 PM »

Just so you'll keep it in mind for possible legislation, later:

Please don't think that all schools are adequately funded. Many are struggling to afford new textbooks, or to simply offer extracurricular activities. One certain department that has taken large hits is fine arts. For example, band, chorus, and art classes are either being eliminated from schools, or having their funding severely cut.

Anyways, keep it in mind. Wink 
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1845 on: April 07, 2010, 07:11:34 PM »

Please don't think that all schools are adequately funded. Many are struggling to afford new textbooks, or to simply offer extracurricular activities. One certain department that has taken large hits is fine arts. For example, band, chorus, and art classes are either being eliminated from schools, or having their funding severely cut.

Luckily, being in public education myself, I have this in the forefront of my mind.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1846 on: April 07, 2010, 08:32:08 PM »

Luckily, being in public education myself, I have this in the forefront of my mind.

Good to hear. Cheesy
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1847 on: April 08, 2010, 12:40:09 AM »

Hearing no objection, the bill now reads as follows:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1848 on: April 08, 2010, 12:43:38 AM »

Aww, all that nifty math for nothing? Tongue
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1849 on: April 08, 2010, 04:20:48 AM »

Don't lose your time on small bills.
Some big bills were "discussed" and voted in the previous session... but...
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies