Mideast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:07:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 121 122 ... 137
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 249844 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2900 on: September 27, 2011, 11:18:56 PM »

Yes.  I'll do it.  Sorry, I've been a bit absent as of late (LSAT studying, but that'll be over Saturday).  Once we get this out of the way, I'll reintroduce all the legislation from last session.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #2901 on: September 30, 2011, 08:06:16 AM »

I'm not sure if I even have the authority to ask this, but are there any nominations for Speaker besides Inks?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2902 on: September 30, 2011, 08:37:23 AM »

I'm not sure if I even have the authority to ask this, but are there any nominations for Speaker besides Inks?

No one else seems to have dropped by. You could second the nomination Smiley
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #2903 on: September 30, 2011, 08:59:08 AM »

No one else seems to have dropped by. You could second the nomination Smiley

I think I sort of did that a few posts above, but I can do it in a more formal way: I second Inks' nomination for Speaker of the Mideast Assembly. Wink
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #2904 on: September 30, 2011, 09:08:25 AM »

I'll third the nomination Wink
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2905 on: October 02, 2011, 07:27:18 PM »

This is modeled after the state of Kentucky replacing all their traffic lights’ incandescent bulbs with LEDs. It’s expected to save them $3.2 million per year in maintenance costs.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2906 on: October 03, 2011, 06:48:28 AM »

This is modeled after the state of Kentucky replacing all their traffic lights’ incandescent bulbs with LEDs. It’s expected to save them $3.2 million per year in maintenance costs.

Strongly supported.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #2907 on: October 03, 2011, 09:23:21 AM »

Guidelines for Private Language Schools Act

1. A private language school in the Mideast is only allowed to offer language classes if it is licensed by the Mideast Department of Education.

2. In order to receive a license by the Mideast Department of Education, a private language school must meet all of the below-mentioned criteria. It is the task of the Mideast Department of Education to review and assess a language school which applies for a license and to grant, refuse or withdraw a particular language school a license based on its interpretation of the below-mentioned criteria:

a) All teachers of the language school in question must have the necessary professional qualifications to teach in a particular language.

b) All teachers of the language school in question must regularly take part in training courses related with their profession.

c) The main educational goal of the language school in question must be the long-term satisfaction and success of every student.

d) The language school in question must ensure that it constantly strives for the preservation of and the improvement in educational quality.

e) The language school in question must strive for a customer-oriented, economically efficient and effective management.

Reintroduced from last session
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2908 on: October 04, 2011, 10:22:19 PM »

This is modeled off a similar project in Logan, Utah to use algae to clean up a body of water polluted with phosphate-laden runoff. As the Mideast Region is home to one of the most polluted bodies of water in the entire country, and one polluted with cyanobacteria from phosphate-laden runoff, I propose we study implementing the lagoon harvesting process implemented in Utah. In total, this is more or less an niche energy source only valuable in a very specific set of circumstances like what we may have here and an inexpensive waste treatment option for phosphate-rich streams.

I'm not entirely sure how our appropriations work given the state of our budget...but here it is anyway.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2909 on: October 09, 2011, 02:56:03 PM »

With Inks out of action, the legislature is stalled. However in reading the Constitution I can't see where it requires the Speaker to formally table a bill; the power of the Speaker isn't defined. Which is actually no bad thing.

Simply 'The legislative power of the Mideast shall be vested in the Mideast Assembly.'

I see no reason why someone other than the Speaker cannot open the debate. If however it is the Assembly's understanding that no one other than the Speaker can do so, then I would recommend a constitutional amendment be tabled to confer a 'deputy' status on another Assemblyman when the Speaker does return.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #2910 on: October 09, 2011, 03:01:20 PM »

With Inks out of action, the legislature is stalled. However in reading the Constitution I can't see where it requires the Speaker to formally table a bill; the power of the Speaker isn't defined. Which is actually no bad thing.

Simply 'The legislative power of the Mideast shall be vested in the Mideast Assembly.'

I see no reason why someone other than the Speaker cannot open the debate. If however it is the Assembly's understanding that no one other than the Speaker can do so, then I would recommend a constitutional amendment be tabled to confer a 'deputy' status on another Assemblyman when the Speaker does return.

You're probably right. Yes, the constitution doesn't say it has to be the Speaker. That's just how it was done in the past so I assumed we have to wait for Inks to return. But there's apparently no real base for this "belief". Wink

I'll introduce the first bill, the Lighting Technology Act by TJ. Just to get things started.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2911 on: October 09, 2011, 03:07:18 PM »

You're probably right. Yes, the constitution doesn't say it has to be the Speaker. That's just how it was done in the past so I assumed we have to wait for Inks to return. But there's apparently no real base for this "belief". Wink

I'll introduce the first bill, the Lighting Technology Act by TJ. Just to get things started.

I'm looking forward to Inks return Smiley However thank you for introducing legislation in order to get things moving again.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #2912 on: October 21, 2011, 07:14:33 AM »

Language Awareness Act

1. The Mideast Assembly hereby recognizes that while English serves as the primary language of the majority of people who live in the Mideast region there is no official language in the Mideast. Furthermore, the Assembly recognizes that the great language and dialect diversity in the Mideast is of great value to the region.

2. Public elementary schools and high schools in the Mideast are encouraged, but not required, to include the topic of local language and dialect diversity in their curricula. Elementary schools and high schools which opt to offer classes on this topic may request financial and/or logistic support by the Mideast Department of Education. Upon receiving a written request, the Mideast Department of Education is required to grant support to the school in question. Schools which receive support by the Mideast Department of Education are required to use all funding and/or logistic help for the purposes designed in Section 2 of this Act.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #2913 on: October 21, 2011, 10:02:49 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2914 on: October 27, 2011, 09:55:22 AM »

Mideast Green Technology Bill

Pre-amble: The Mideast Government is committed to expanding the use of green technology to both sustain and utilise the natural environment of the Mideast for the benefit of our economy.

Section 1:

a. F.L. 44-8: Atlasian Green Jobs Act states: "$8 billion worth of the Go Green Fund will be available to regional governments for the purposes of expanding their green technology."
b. The Mideast Government shall appropriate our share of this fund to invest in and support green technology including but not limited to: Recycling, Water Purification, Air Purification, Sewage treatment, Environmental remediation, Solid waste management, Renewable energy, eGain forecasting and Energy Conservation
c. Green Technology companies or those committed to 'going green' will be invited to apply for funds with priority given to low-income businesses, community organizations and university sponsored programs for the purposes of research.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2915 on: October 27, 2011, 10:03:57 AM »

Mideast Emergency Housing Act

The Assembly notes that F.L. 45-9: Homeless Shelter and Emergency Housing Act of 2011 has passed. The Act stipulates that: "Regional Housing Authorities will have priority access to the funds."

Section 1

a. The Assembly agrees to the conditions set within the aforementioned Federal bill.
b. The Mideast Regional Housing Authority will be responsible for overseeing the application for the Federal funds and administering the programme.
c. The Mideast Regional Housing Authority may use the data collected in the Mideast Index of Multiple Deprivation to assist with delivering the programme.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #2916 on: October 28, 2011, 06:56:34 AM »

Muzzle for Dangerous Dogs Bill

The Mideast Dog Breed Equity Under the Law Act is hereby repealed.

1. Dogs of the following breeds or crosses or hybrids of the following breeds are required to wear a muzzle in all public places:

a) Pit bull terrier
b) Japanese tosa

2. A dog owner who violates these regulations once shall be fined. If a dog owner violates these regulations repeatedly, regional authorities shall take the dog away from the owner and the owner shall lose his/her right to own a dog for at least two years.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2917 on: October 28, 2011, 12:21:41 PM »

Does one of the Assemblymen need to sponsor the governor's legislation? Or can we simply begin debating his proposals?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2918 on: October 29, 2011, 01:05:23 AM »

The MAPLDV specifies that the Speaker creates the new threads, but it never expressly says someone else can't do it, only that the Speaker is to do so.  So in the absence of the Speaker, I don't think the opening of a thread by anyone else would be illegal under the law.  That's just my interpretation, but there certainly is nothing that says ONLY the Speaker can do it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2919 on: October 29, 2011, 01:07:28 AM »

Does one of the Assemblymen need to sponsor the governor's legislation? Or can we simply begin debating his proposals?

No, the Governor can propose legislation.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2920 on: November 05, 2011, 01:45:17 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2011, 01:48:14 PM by TJ in Cleve »

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2921 on: November 14, 2011, 10:53:52 AM »

Comprehensive Education Act

Background.

The School Standards Reform Act was passed by the Senate in August 2009, however a caveat in the law meant that it didn't take effect until August 10, 2011. Now that it is in force, this legislation is to bring Mideast education up to this level. The Senate legislation stated;

"This legislation shall not be interpreted as to override any stricter standards upheld by law within any Regions or lower-level authorities, nor to discourage school districts or students from exceeding the minimum requirements."

As a result the legislation proposed below brings together some of our existing legislation

Section 1: Terminology

For the purposes of this legislation:

“Elementary school” shall refer to any school offering only grades below 5th, inclusive.
“Middle school” shall refer to any school offering only grades below 8th, inclusive, with at least one grade above 6th, inclusive.
“High school” shall refer to any school offering at least one grade above 9th, inclusive.

Section 2: Elementary School Reforms

All public elementary schools shall be required to offer pre-K and Kindergarten programs to all students within the district whose guardians wish them to be enrolled. The federal government shall provide matching funds to the regions of up to 40% the total cost of such programs.

All children must be enrolled in school, public or otherwise, within one and a half years of their fourth birthdays.

Section 3: Middle School Reforms

All public middle schools must offer at least one foreign language program. Enrollment in said program may be optional, as dictated by regional and district law.

All students in grades 6 through 8 shall be required to study science, English, history, and mathematics for all of their three years in said grades. All public middle schools must offer said subjects for all three grades.

Section 4: High School Reforms

All public high school students must complete, between 9th and 12th grade, at least four courses in mathematics, four courses in English, three courses in a single foreign language, three courses in the social sciences, one course in Atlasian history, three courses of science with at least three of said courses lab intensive, in addition to four elective courses.

All public high schools must offer classes on mathematics, chemistry, biology, physics, English, Atlasian history, world history, and at least (but not limited to) two different foreign languages sufficient in number to allow students to complete the above requirements.

All public high schools with a student body greater than 400 that offer at least 3 advanced courses (Advanced Placement, Running Start and International Baccalaureate are acceptable) shall receive up to 30% the total cost of such programs split evenly between the governing region and federal government.

High school students as an elective course may undertake craft, skill, and artistry apprenticeships alongside traditional academic education Non-academic subjects shall be examined as per academic subjects according to current examination guidelines. Non-academic subjects may be studied in approved and inspected facilities outside of designated educational establishments.

Section 5. Repealed Legislation

The Mideast Second Educational Reform Statute is hereby repealed.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2922 on: November 22, 2011, 01:44:26 AM »

Just a reminder that Thanksgiving is not a holiday that the Assembly gets off, so I expect everybody to be here on Thursday!  Wink

I'll bring the pumpkin pie!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2923 on: November 26, 2011, 10:36:19 AM »

Sorry I've been absent - I had some medical stuff to take care of.  The session is now closed, and the new session shall now begin.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2924 on: November 26, 2011, 04:02:45 PM »

I nominate ZuWo for Speaker.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 121 122 ... 137  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies