GOP faithful lost in the realm of a new enchantress
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:18:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  GOP faithful lost in the realm of a new enchantress
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOP faithful lost in the realm of a new enchantress  (Read 2310 times)
Punditty
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2008, 05:07:35 AM »

The Associated Press did a Fact Check of Palin's convention speech and published it Monday.
To call it "stretching the truth" is kind. I continue to be amazed at the way the non-Evangelical wing of the party has taken to Palin. Other than their love affair with Ronald Reagan, they generally take a more cautious approach to a full embrace of a candidate. Generally speaking in political-emotional sense, I have observed Republicans to be less willing to "take the leap" for a candidate, but more willing to stand by the candidate in question after they have committed.

Palin, for now, defies that pattern. Vast swaths of the GOP have taken to her like caribou to the Alaska countryside. But what happens when her spell begins to wear thin, when her misrepresentations and mischaracterizations of Obama are seen for the partisan sniping that they are?

See my thoughts on the matter at:
http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/1279535-palin-enchantress

I welcome all feedback and will be checking back in Thursday or Friday to respond.
Thanks,

Punditty
http://www.allvoices.com/users/Punditty
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 09:58:52 AM »

She is a powerful Sorceress....I think the question you are asking is whether she is teflon...whether people will give her the benefit of the doubt...and I don't know. However, there WILL be hell to pay if she turns out to be unblameable.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 10:22:27 AM »

Palin, for now, defies that pattern. Vast swaths of the GOP have taken to her like caribou to the Alaska countryside. But what happens when her spell begins to wear thin, when her misrepresentations and mischaracterizations of Obama are seen for the partisan sniping that they are?

As one of those under the Palin spell, I assure you that those of us who were truly excited about the pick will be standing by her barring some kind of actual scandal.  The fact that her approval ratings are so high in Alaska should clue the partisans in that she's a very skilled, likable politician and that turning her into a monster is going to be a tough sell.

Mostly, all I've seen is one-handed reporting from DailyKos.  Calling those diaries half-truths would be generous.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:33:31 AM »

As one of those under the Palin spell, I assure you that those of us who were truly excited about the pick will be standing by her barring some kind of actual scandal.  The fact that her approval ratings are so high in Alaska should clue the partisans in that she's a very skilled, likable politician and that turning her into a monster is going to be a tough sell.

Mostly, all I've seen is one-handed reporting from DailyKos.  Calling those diaries half-truths would be generous.

The DailyKos articles are the prime example "Sweet Sarah Palin being attacked by those mean Democrats."  (I frankly think the Republicans were behind it.)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 02:45:39 PM »

The DailyKos articles are the prime example "Sweet Sarah Palin being attacked by those mean Democrats."  (I frankly think the Republicans were behind it.)

The evil of innocence...
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 07:17:53 PM »

Mother of 5, commercial fisher(wo)man, governor, conservative, rebel, actually lives her faith personally but does not push it politically, worked her way through college, compassionate, shoots M4 as well (or better) than a National Guardsman, hockey mom, reformer, flies a plane, takes less than the allowed government reimbursement, gets things done, sometimes (gasp) supports the Democrat's position in AK over Republicans, has a sens eof humor, humble, etc.

What's not to like?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 08:42:02 PM »

Mother of 5, commercial fisher(wo)man, governor, conservative, rebel, actually lives her faith personally but does not push it politically, worked her way through college, compassionate, shoots M4 as well (or better) than a National Guardsman, hockey mom, reformer, flies a plane, takes less than the allowed government reimbursement, gets things done, sometimes (gasp) supports the Democrat's position in AK over Republicans, has a sense of humor, humble, etc.

What's not to like?

Well in the view of a stereotypical left-wing Democrat:

Mother of 5: Contributing to overpopulation
commercial fisher(wo)man: Destroyer of the marine ecosystem
governor: Insider
conservative: Conservative Wink
rebel: Unwilling to listen to expert advice
actually lives her faith personally but does not push it politically: Holier than thou
worked her way through college: Fails to realize that we need better college aid grants
compassionate: Conservative Wink (Thus adding to the third term meme.)
shoots M4 as well (or better) than a National Guardsman: pro-war
hockey mom: Wrong variety.  If it had been field hockey...
reformer: Wants to do away with essential social programs
flies a plane: Contributes to global warming
takes less than the allowed government reimbursement: Against providing an economic stimulus
gets things done: But they're the wrong things
sometimes (gasp) supports the Democrat's position in AK over Republicans: A truly bipartisan Republican always supports the Democrats, not just sometimes
has a sense of humor: laughs at the less fortunate, such as Obama
humble: Obviously not perfect in every way
etc.: Most importantly, she's a Republican.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 08:49:21 PM »

Mother of 5, commercial fisher(wo)man, governor, conservative, rebel, actually lives her faith personally but does not push it politically, worked her way through college, compassionate, shoots M4 as well (or better) than a National Guardsman, hockey mom, reformer, flies a plane, takes less than the allowed government reimbursement, gets things done, sometimes (gasp) supports the Democrat's position in AK over Republicans, has a sens eof humor, humble, etc.

What's not to like?
She wasn't a fisherwoman. Conservative is an understatement. By rebel, you mean the Johnny Rebs. I wish... and Barack or Biden didn't? What do you mean by "compassionate"? Impressive, but I need proof. Hell, I have a Sharpshooter badge from the NRA. ...for a couple of years...and the rest of that is kinda funny, really.
Punditty
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 05:15:50 AM »

Thanks to all those who read and commented. I am seeing a pattern begin to emerge, which is that Republicans seem to think having a fresh face to look up to will somehow change the bad outcome of their policies.

I know some of you McCain people out there would disagree, and would try and find examples of Obama's contradictions. No doubt they exist. But McCain's move was cynical as much as it was "maverick." Cynical because he has basically told the American people that the time-honored tradition of meeting and getting to know candidates for national office has been superceded by a game of play-the-victim and limiting media access. One of the most cynical ploys I've seen in American politics, actually, but it's already wearing thin.

See my new thread on Palin fatigue if you are so inclined, and thinks again for reading.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 10:50:21 AM »

It's good to have you here, Punditty.  Hope you will become a regular.
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 03:47:54 AM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 03:50:52 AM »

The Republican party always rallies close to election day. This is another election about base turnout, and Palin has done more to energize the Republican base than the Democratic ticket has done for the Democrats. I really want Obama to win, but I can see what he's doing wrong if he loses. I'm not impressed by him.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 05:59:11 PM »

The Republican party always rallies close to election day. This is another election about base turnout, and Palin has done more to energize the Republican base than the Democratic ticket has done for the Democrats. I really want Obama to win, but I can see what he's doing wrong if he loses. I'm not impressed by him.

It would be REALLY fu cked up, and would feel ashamed and amused at the same time, if a Democrat won in 2008, 2012 or 2016 and the Republicans claimed that their base was turned away at the polls.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies