Why I think McCain will win.... BIG
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:15:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Why I think McCain will win.... BIG
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why I think McCain will win.... BIG  (Read 5660 times)
RRB
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2008, 03:19:06 PM »
« edited: November 22, 2008, 03:44:13 PM by RRB »

-
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 09:55:24 PM »

I agree with you fully, but if Biden mops the floor with palin in the debate, then it will be interesting.  After seeing her recent interview.. the glass slipper might be fading.

I agree the country is NOT ready for a black president.. atleast the older voters are not.
rockhound
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 10:06:04 PM »

I think "big" is relative.  Obama will get NY, Ill, Ca, Ma, Md, no matter what.  That's a pretty sizeable chunk of EV's, so a McCain electoral landslide is very remote.
Punditty
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 04:07:35 AM »

You can never tell what October will bring, but I suspect there will be a surprise of some sort. Maybe not a big one, but big enough that one of the candidates makes a major gaffe.

I think the racism fears are not as realistic as the simplicity fears, but of course they kind of go together. Still, I think Obama will win by 50 or 60 EVs minimum.

This may be the most important year for debates since JFK-Nixon in 1960.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 10:01:28 AM »

The only one bringing up race in this election has been Obama.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 05:50:30 PM »

It is unlikely McCain will win big, the nation remains almost exactly where Bush Kerry left off, fairly closely divided, as evidenced by the recent polls, I'd be surprised if either candidate breaks 300 EV or wins by even 5%
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 05:56:09 PM »

Well, if you want to think that, I guess you can be ignorant.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 06:00:07 PM »

The race issue isn't anything a normal person is going to speak loudly about.  But I can guarantee the race issue is big, alive, and well.

If somebody is kicking you in the balls under the table and you bring it up in conversation with other table mates... does that make you a horrible person?  Hardly.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 06:05:07 PM »

No need to bring it up, SR - it will win McCain the election even if your side didn't mention it.  White people in america generally hate blacks like Obama.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 06:05:41 PM »

The race issue isn't anything a normal person is going to speak loudly about.  But I can guarantee the race issue is big, alive, and well.

If somebody is kicking you in the balls under the table and you bring it up in conversation with other table mates... does that make you a horrible person?  Hardly.

Hmmm. That's probably the best way I have heard America's dirty little secrets being talked about.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 06:34:07 PM »

I agree with you fully, but if Biden mops the floor with palin in the debate, then it will be interesting.  After seeing her recent interview.. the glass slipper might be fading.

I agree the country is NOT ready for a black president.. atleast the older voters are not.

I think she will hold her own with Biden. But remember Biden is gaffe prone, so if he makes a misogynist comment or something, then who knows how bad that will hurt him.

However, I think it's a 50/50 shot who will win the debates.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 10:16:45 PM »

Not "big" in the 1980's sense, but possibly by four points.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 10:19:23 PM »

Another South Carolina Republican! Welcome!!!!
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 11:49:50 PM »

It really comes down to the debates.  If Obama can successfully picture McCain as old and sour, he will win.  If McCain can be as articulate as he was in Saddleback, then he will win.

And no, neither Obama nor McCain will win big.  I see it coming down to the last bunch of ballot boxes in Jefferson county, Colorado.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 11:56:39 PM »

If McCain can be as articulate as he was in Saddleback, then he will win.

LOL
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 11:58:48 PM »

LOL

Did you think McCain did badly in saddleback?  You should at least explain the "LOL" you posted.

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 12:04:47 AM »

LOL

Did you think McCain did badly in saddleback?  You should at least explain the "LOL" you posted.

He sure as hell wasn't articulate. Of course we might have different definitions of the word, but throwing one liner red meat at a fundie crowd isn't my definition of articulate. It was like Mccain was trying to keep it simple and it obviously worked with that crowd.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 12:11:56 AM »

LOL

He sure as hell wasn't articulate. Of course we might have different definitions of the word, but throwing one liner red meat at a fundie crowd isn't my definition of articulate. It was like Mccain was trying to keep it simple and it obviously worked with that crowd.

I sure think that he was articulate, and I'm not a fundie.  If you disagree with someone, I don't really think a "LOL" is necessary unless a statement is completely foolish.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 12:13:42 AM »

sbane is becoming one of the bigger Dem hacks on this forum, even if he has a green avatar. He may have not been "articulate" in the same way Obama is, but he sure wiped the floor with him.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 12:24:55 AM »

LOL

I sure think that he was articulate, and I'm not a fundie.  If you disagree with someone, I don't really think a "LOL" is necessary unless a statement is completely foolish.

I really thought Mccain was the exact opposite of articulate that day which is why I found your statement funny. And I have seen Mccain being articulate so its not as if I think he is some bumbling fool. He played to the crowd though so what Mccain did that day was very smart politically. Again I just found it funny you would use the word articulate to describe the performance. Sorry if I offended you.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 12:29:29 AM »

LOL

I really thought Mccain was the exact opposite of articulate that day which is why I found your statement funny. And I have seen Mccain being articulate so its not as if I think he is some bumbling fool. He played to the crowd though so what Mccain did that day was very smart politically. Again I just found it funny you would use the word articulate to describe the performance. Sorry if I offended you.

It didn't offend me, I'm just curious why to you tried to make a knee jerking attack, when you could have simply spelled it out for me.

In any case, I just hope McCain is preparing his game.  Obama looks like he has been coached non stop, and would be up for anything.  I'd have a smile on my face if McCain could put Obama on defense at any time in the debate.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2008, 12:34:24 AM »

sbane is becoming one of the bigger Dem hacks on this forum, even if he has a green avatar. He may have not been "articulate" in the same way Obama is, but he sure wiped the floor with him.

Sorry if my intense dislike of Bush and his policies come off as "hackish". You want to call me an anti-bush hack then go ahead but please don't call me a dem hack. F the dems and republicans. I am currently supporting democrats to undo the bush policies but I realize the democratic party has made many many mistakes in governing historically and I have seen some of that personally here in California. For example I think Arnold is doing an ok job while our legislature just doesn't ever do s**t. I am very seriously considering supporting Guy Houston for assembly this time. He seems like a moderate republican who would be palatable for my tastes. That is why I do not don a red avatar although on the national scene I am basically supporting democrats.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2008, 12:38:36 AM »

LOL

It didn't offend me, I'm just curious why to you tried to make a knee jerking attack, when you could have simply spelled it out for me.

I am a bit lazy. Smiley

In any case, I just hope McCain is preparing his game.  Obama looks like he has been coached non stop, and would be up for anything.  I'd have a smile on my face if McCain could put Obama on defense at any time in the debate.

Yeah Obama has really stopped saying uh a million times. Mccain is an average debater from what I can tell and will be formidable on foreign policy. It is on domestic policy he really needs to watch his back since it is pretty clear he doesn't care much for it. He has to put in some passion while talking about those issues. Same with Obama actually. I think he is far more comfortable while debating foreign policy, the difference being he is still articulate even when he doesn't care.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2008, 12:43:30 AM »

I think I have to defend sbane on this correspondence.  While I disagree that McCain would be a continuation of Bush policies, he has a right to believe that.  I don't think it automatically makes you a Democratic hack if you strongly support a Democrat for the white house.  If you want to use that logic, I guess I am a Democratic hack for supporting Mary Landrieu for senate.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2008, 02:06:20 AM »

If Obama loses the Democrats will only have themselves to blame.

Every four years it is the same attitude which sinks them.  IMO, this is more a problem with the party members than the candidate(s).

Painting the electorate as simplistic evil racist sheep is not a way to win an election.

Republicans manipulate and are cynical as well but they just do it better and don't betray themselves as much.  I have come to the conclusion that the Dems are just really bad at the politics game.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies