Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 05:17:21 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
| | |-+  What happens if the deciding state in an election is tied
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What happens if the deciding state in an election is tied  (Read 535 times)
Old School Republican
Computer89
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2017, 01:24:07 pm »
Ignore

Say the map of the election was like this :

Hillary 268
Trump 260

and the state of Wisconsin has been officially determined(which means the recounts have been already conducted) to have been a tie between Hillary and Trump .  How then does it get determined who receives Wisconsin's 10 electoral votes, or do those 10 electoral votes get thrown out and the election gets decided by congress.

Favorite Politicians from the last 50 years:

Economic Score: 3.61
Social: -0.1

"http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/grid/28x23.gif

Foreign Policy: 1.6

My Timeline: http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=261223.0
Vosem
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: -6.26

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 01:43:48 pm »
Ignore

Well, the specifically Wisconsin law is that elections determined to be tied are determined by a coin flip; this has happened at the small-town level.

A statewide election would never be determined to be tied, though. After protracted court wrangling about what to do with individual votes, someone's lawyers would triumph and that candidate would be declared the winner. If this would take longer than it takes for the Electoral College to meet, the state legislature has the authority to appoint electors itself (which in Wisconsin at present would mean a Republican victory, but could be a Democratic one elsewhere) or, if it is deadlocked and cannot send a delegation to the Electoral College, with no majority the election would be thrown to the House.

I will NOT be accepting any result other than a victory for America's next President, Governor Gary Earl Johnson Angry
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 03:10:07 pm »
Ignore

Also, y'all can make this thread a thousand times, and I'll keep making the same dumb, increasingly out-of-date reference:

Also, my understanding of the law in New Mexico is that in the event of a tie the state's electoral votes are determined by Kevin Costner, and hilarious hijinks ensue as both Presidential candidates attempt to personally woo him for his vote. 

ERM64man
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 04:07:27 pm »
Ignore

Maybe some states have a runoff between the top two candidates?

Senate endorsements:
AL: Ron Bishop
AZ: Kyrsten Sinema
CA: Dianne Feinstein
FL: Bill Nelson
MA: Elizabeth Warren
ME: Angus King
MT: Jon Tester
NE: Jane Raybould
TX: Beto O'Rourke

2020 Presidential endorsement:
Elizabeth Warren or Kamala Harris
ExtremeConservative
ExtremeRepublican
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: 8.96

P
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 05:35:11 pm »
Ignore

Well, the specifically Wisconsin law is that elections determined to be tied are determined by a coin flip; this has happened at the small-town level.

I would be confident in saying that that would have been the most important coin flip in the history of the world!

Far-right social, fiscal, and neo-conservative.  Centrist on immigration.  Abortion is murder!

The conservative movement is being damaged massively by Donald Trump.  Other than Neil Gorsuch, we have failed to have any meaningful accomplishments that were not potentially temporary executive orders.  That, combined with the off year election results tell me that I'M READY FOR PENCE
Jolly Democrat
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.65

P
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 09:46:36 pm »
Ignore

If, by some strange occurrence, I assume that state's electoral votes would be meaningless and the election would go to the House. That seems to be the most logical path.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout